• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Who's your favorite YouTube and Social Media Guitar Influencer?

Scott Grove and Dave’s World of Fun Stuff are pretty much the only guitar-related youtubers I can stand at all, and I don’t even watch them anymore. I‘m really not interested in watching some guy bloviate about guitar crap or wank off their guitar on camera.

Another Tim Pierce fan here. He's an honest to goodness session pro who just shares his experiences and wisdom gained from years of working in the field, and occasionally gets cool fellow pros like Jay Graydon to show up. Seems to be a chill type who can get along with anyone.

Last edited:

OldPicker

Silver Supporting Member
It was a funny thing that got me going down this rabbit hole. First, I was looking for info on what the four knobs on an SG do. That search led me to the JustinGuitar.com forums. So from there I went thru several of his lessons real fast and now I've got to the point where it takes me a week or two do a lesson.

JustinGuitar led me to Anderton's (the Captain's private lessons and The Captain meets That Pedal Show. Dan and Mick led me Josh Scott and JHS Pedals. It's been a fun journey, and I've learned a ton from TPS, and I really like Josh's history lessons. I'm experimenting with wet/dry and balancing GAS with my budget.

Megatron

Guthrie Trapp. Like the blend of all things americana. Can relate to it all easily, as I've been metal'd out for more than a few years.

Would have to mention Peter Farrell, transcribed many, many of his lines over the last few years.

I send beginner and intermediate students to Marty Schwartz channel to pick up an extra tune here and there between lessons and what not.

Tmidiman

Tom Quayle, his demos are inspirational and his lesson materials offer depth and deliver instant technique and theoretical improvement.

Linderflomann

I'm pretty turned off by anything that focuses too much on gear: more playing, less GAS.

Just want to mention a few guys that don't get mentioned too often:

- Adrian from Anyone Can Play Guitar: he focuses on alternative / indie / punk with some country thrown in. There's a lot of overlap in our tastes.

- Adam Levy's guitar tips: there's lots of little nuggets of wisdom in his videos and he seems like a chill dude.

- Lessons with Marcel: I'm not even a big bluegrass fan but his videos are just really fun, well produced and he's funny and radiates good vibes.

- Jens Larsen: I'm not a jazz fan, but his videos are super informative and well produced. He has lots of suggestions on how to practice and such, probably the best educator out of everyone I mentioned.

PB+J

I don't have one. I really dislike most guitar related videos because the signal to noise ratio is terrible. Too much gabbing, too little informaton.

But it's been interesting to see this market open up. There's much more interest in guys doing channels on gear or explaining specific famous licks than there is in making actual music. It's harmless but it kind of feels like its focused on the wrong thing.

I mean back in the day people got excited about a band's music.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
It really depends on what I’m looking for...lately, Mike Hermans has been getting a lot of my attention. I also greatly miss Andy and still watch an occasional ProGuitarShop demo.

Jeff Stocks

These two are the only ones I check out. Not well known but both are killer players with good senses of humor.

I've boycotted Beato and all the dudes with the beards but these two I make plenty of time for.

mikeSF

The pandemic has brought me more my usual amount of late night you tube trolling.
Some of these guys are just great to watch, without trying to learn what they're doing, nor buy the products they are hawking. Some, just have interesting topics, so i tend to drop in at least for a while.
I love to watch:

Johnny Hiland - gotta be one o' of the nicest guys on the planet and with ALL the chops.
Pete Thorn - his playing is what i always wished i could sound like. he's a nice guy
Rick Beato - took me awhile to get into this guy because those vids are so dang long, but he knows his stuff and has some great topics.
Tim Pierce - short and sweet with playing/talking/playing. The most smiling guy in music.
Pedal Guys - Seen every episode(though i don't even use pedals), but i wish i could watch in 4x speed because there is just so much dead air between valuable bits.
Paul Davids - Fun guy. nice production value and not overly labored subjects.
I've unsubscribed from Rhett - my least fave of the category.

Last edited:

atarilovesyou

Want to give David Brewster a shout out in this thread.

What I like about him is that he doesn’t use all sorts of heavy production stuff. Just guitar and amp in the room. Personally find it much easier to follow along then.

Aw man, how could I forget Brewster? I only wish he got a proper mic because I can't hear him half the time. Great stuff, though.

So Keith Williams, David Brewster, and the always chill with a knack for 80s hard rock, Ben Eller. I like to watch Beato but usually for his stories and theory, not his guitar playing (but he is obviously and awesome guitarist). He does get a bit old man yelling at clouds sometimes, clearly doesn't like my style of music, but he's still great. And Pete Thorn, that guy is the best demo man out there.

Tim Pierce has been getting into my feed lately, and once I gave him a chance I found his videos to be quite good. But he took a big hit with me when he had that tubby bald fool from Arizona on a segment.

Oh! And Michael Nielson. That guy has incredible chops and always has fantastic content.

Last edited:
Lately I've been checking out this channel more than the guitar-oriented ones. I just really enjoy the enthusiastic reactions to seemingly every song. Sometimes the reaction commentary is downright adorable, like here when this boy says he loves music that's so old that you only hear instruments, no computers, and it reminds him of his favorite cartoons (Tom and Jerry and Pink Panther) that are "based on instruments"

First time hearing metal is cute

A lot of love for Denny Dias' electric sitar solo

Richard Elg

Anything that focuses on teaching how to play the guitar rather than what type of gear we should buy. The gear videos are nice and have their place, but I've just been more focused on expanding my playing lately.

I've been digging Guthrie Trapp, Tom Bukovac, Kirk Fletcher, Josh Smith, and Andy Wood lately. I've learned a lot from watching these guys and trying to take their ideas and work them into my playing.

RLP

RJ Ronquillo, Rabea Massad, the TPS guys and Danish Pete. The latter has also had a huge influence on my approach to the instrument, but they all do an amazing job when it comes to gear and soundscapes.

Cheers

Trending Topics