Whose Fault Is It ?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ShredSquatch, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:52 PM.

1. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Yes, but I've got 3 or 4 sets of sockets with no 10mm. I've got 4 or 5 with no missing 1/2 inch. That's the joke.

I had an old 1975 Chevy Blazer, loved that truck. You could sit on the wheel well, with your feet on the manifolds and work on the engine.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  2. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

Why would they think that that is your fault when they are the ones that dropped it? If it wasn't dropped in to the casing then I could understand them asking you to pay for a replacement bolt. Your car, your bolt and all that. But they dropped it in the engine, not you.

Also, it's called a telescoping magnetic tool and every shop has one. I have personally dropped nuts, bolts, screws and sockets in the most abominable places imaginable and have always been able to fish them out. Almost always without having to remove items from the car/motorcycle.

Consider this; if you hired a local painting company to come paint your house blue and then they spill a whole can of blue paint on your white concrete driveway, are they going to call you and ask you to pay them to fix it? No. They are not.

In summation, they dropped a bolt in your engine. They should get it out at no charge to you.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  3. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

A 25 year old car unless it is a restoration has lots of old rusted parts and has inherent risks for anybody who attempts to work on them. That seems obvious. I've had mechanics say up front that the job could go ok or because of the age of the car and condition it could turn into a nightmare. I tell them to go ahead and do the best they can. If it turns into a nightmare and costs more to fix than it's worth I'll junk it. Old cars are a gamble unless they are restorations.

Can't wait to hear how this plays out. I would hope a friend or someone you know is going to be fair or straight with you. It's pretty simple. If they screw you once or even if you wonder if they did they will not see any repeat business. Most small shops live on repeat business and a reputation. Once a bad reputation is out on the street they are gonna suffer.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 7:08 PM
  4. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I wouldn’t worry too much. I pulled an engine apart that had a bolt that was lodged in the sump for over 100 thousand miles. Never hurt a thing.

I found some loose parts laying in the transmission of one of my street bikes I bought used. Never hurt a thing.

[​IMG]

84superchamp and ShredSquatch like this.
  5. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Makes you wanna drive by their shop and yell "got it myself!!"
    Water pumps might look easy but they're not. I had a long holdup at a shop when i broke down on a road trip; water pump came off ok but there was a boss/shaft or something that had to come off the old pump and put on the new...they spent hours on it.

ShredSquatch, Peteyvee and Scrapperz like this.
  6. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

I'm sure the mechanic will be in awe of the TGP wisdom...

84superchamp and ShredSquatch like this.
  7. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist

So the mechanic says it’s not his responsibility because he claims the bolt was corroded and was giving them problems. I asked why didn’t you call and warn me before you broke it? He said “he couldn’t do anything and I can come pick it up as is with no charges. Sorry we can’t fix it unless we charge you to replace the timing chain cover and head gasket” complete BS!!!
    So I’m working on another solution!

~ss

8. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I'm a mechanic and my advise is run screaming. First of all if the bolt broke that means the thing was still on there so nothing could fall inside the engine. 2nd it's a water pump, if it fell in it would be in the cooling system not up in the head or the timing chain area. 3rd I'd bet the bolt never broke in the first place they are just trying to expand the job. Changing a water pump is an easy job. You could probably get it done before anyone complains. Have them tow it to Autozone and work on it there, they'll probably help you for free.

RRC

Roark, ShredSquatch and Okra like this.
  9. Roark

Roark Member

No man, no way on that small block ford would a head gasket need to be replaced for a water pump job. I'd come pick it up and find an easy out. Spray that sucker down with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight before attempting to get it out.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  10. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Member

Run, don’t walk.

Absolute BFS!

They are attempting to shake you down.

Glass Onion and ShredSquatch like this.
  11. wetordry

wetordry Member

Head gasket?
    Now you're getting somewhere!

I wonder if there's room for a right angle drill and stubby bit.

The wisdom of flat-rating a job on something that old is suspect. They should have known what they were getting into. Bummer.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  12. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

So the car overheated because the water pump seized and then the head gasket blew ? Lol Where are we going with this "somewhere" ? :)

ShredSquatch likes this.
  13. wetordry

wetordry Member

Overheated and warped a head now, too??
    Maybe it's cracked!
    Dang!

ShredSquatch likes this.
  14. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Look to the Jack Links commercials for guidance. You know what to do when they mess with you!

ShredSquatch likes this.
  15. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

It depends - did they try a little dubya Dee 40 before the Neanderthal torque on the rusted bolt? What’re these guys? A bunch of Cro Magnons??

ShredSquatch likes this.
  16. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

;)

What? He threw a rod too? And the fuel injectors are clogged with oil and need to be replaced? Damn, time for a new truck.

Penetrating oil is your friend, not WD-40 for this application. Put some P.O. on, Wait a few hours and voila! Comes right off with minimal torque.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  17. Rob Eddy

Rob Eddy Member

For all of you who are saying that the bolt couldn't have dropped down into the pan, it's not completely true. On that engine, several of the water pump bolts go through the timing chain cover. They are quite long and skinny, and are constantly exposed to coolant/water. They do corrode. There's every likelihood that the timing cover had to be removed to get the stubs of the bolts out. Or, to simply be cleaned-up before reinstalling it. If was removed in hopes that he could chase the bolt head down into the pan and retrieve it, he probably stopped before going any further to contain "damages". (It's better to "man up" early in the game when it's not going well for you.) When quoting a job like this, most mechanics "build-in" a little wiggle room for situations such as this.

It's also likely that he damaged the timing cover while trying to get the bolts out. He probably didn't tell you it needed a single head gasket. (There are two on a v8.) He probably told you it needed a new timing cover and the corresponding gasket.

Here's the thing, if a bolt somehow got down into a CYLINDER, it WOULD require pulling the head which would require a head gasket, intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, etc. But...why would a bolt fall into the cylinder head? Unless he took the upper intake off to gain access to the parts that are down lower? That makes no sense whatsoever.

I would get a bit more detail and more thorough understanding of what's going on. You say you know the guy. You trust him enough to let him work on your vehicle. I'm betting that there's more misunderstanding than anything going-on here.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  18. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Paging Dr. Tweedbucket. And most other wrench turners here. As a former wrench turner. Yep. Their fault. Not a real uncommon thing but they are obliged to take care of the mistake they made.

ShredSquatch likes this.
  19. Glass Onion

Yeah after reading more of the thread. They may be fishing for the wrong thing. As in fishing for your money instead of the bolt.

wetordry likes this.
  20. Glass Onion

This is why I will work on my own stuff. And never touch a car for anyone else unless it is real simple.

Dad owned an automotive shop when I was a teenager and I trained under an ASE certified mechanic.

I can do most anything needed.

Until you put the computer into the equation.

Which is lots of stuff these days.

I have rebuilt engines and traced electrical Hell wires.

But new cars are too much for me these days.