• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Whose in love with their Friedmans?

What friedman do u have? Why do u love it? What cab/speakers are you using ?....

Dirty shirley 40 watt head, with matching 412, 4 greenback reissues,...... Best tone I've ever heard, super addicting feel, extremely responsive to touch and cleans up amazingly well with volume knob. Very simple yet so versatile, can cover just about any genre, master volume works great, fx loop is stellar, looks very sexy, and inspires me to play more than any other piece of gear I've ever had.......
P. s. IS the sound in my head when I think classic rock, absolutely slaughters some acdc and Zeppelin

Good to hear the honeymoon is still rolling along. ;)

DS40, a strat and a Scumback m55/m75 mix FTW! Had to go with a 212 to at least fill out the crunch a little bit.

I’ll be making an amp purchase this summer and have been getting up to speed on Friedmans. The DS is at the top of the list.
It's the coolest lol......in all seriousness it's the classic rock machine you wish marshall would have made..... But it's beauty is while it slays classic rock tones, it isn't pigeon holed to that..... Phenomenal blues amp..... Can get those dare I say dumbley full thick blues tones, it can nail some country tones, even metal with a boost. Happy hunting though, you get a big bottled friedman or little bottled really and you be happy..... I'm not a huge runt fan, they are good but imo not the same level as the higher end models..... Though I would take a DS mini over the runt 50 all day long

Wdgx3

nkc member
Gold Supporting Member
I love my DS40. Best amp I've come across for my interests. No doubt. Sounds and feels so great. I'm using a Marshall 1960 cab with English 20w greenbacks.

It's the first time in a long time where I don't want to try and improve my tone. Turn it on every day and it just sounds repeatedly great. No fuss no muss. I run the BMT on full. So its basically a three knob amp for me. Gain , volume and presence. Simple. Love it.

Edit to add context * I'm into classic/ hard rock. EVH, Lynch, Warren D Martini, Satriani, Ronnie Montrose, Sabbath... that type of stuff.

I've played all of the 20 watt heads for extended periods and have settled on the Pink Taco as the keeper.
LOVE it.
I like the little jj one quite a bit..... I preferred the big shirley over the mini cuz it just sounded bigger and more 3d a little more raw and felt better (tube recitfier contributed to this I'm sure) but that little jj is different enough to talk myself into buying lol.

I love my DS40. Best amp I've come across for my interests. No doubt. Sounds and feels so great. I'm using a Marshall 1960 cab with English 20w greenbacks.

It's the first time in a long time where I don't want to try and improve my tone. Turn it on every day and it just sounds repeatedly great. No fuss no muss. I run the BMT on full. So its basically a three knob amp for me. Gain , volume and presence. Simple. Love it.
I eq mine a little different but other than that I agree with u 100 percent, I'm using a 1960b clone with the 25 watt reissues...... Like u I have achieved the sound in my head..... I just smile to myself when playing sometimes thinking "man this is it, I've reached the pinnicle of tone, it's like both hearing Malcolm and Angus Young together even though it's just one amp...... Amazing

Wdgx3

nkc member
Gold Supporting Member
I eq mine a little different but other than that I agree with u 100 percent, I'm using a 1960b clone with the 25 watt reissues...... Like u I have achieved the sound in my head..... I just smile to myself when playing sometimes thinking "man this is it, I've reached the pinnicle of tone, it's like both hearing Malcolm and Angus Young together even though it's just one amp...... Amazing
Yeah man! Another thing I'm not doing is having the urge to play around with different tubes, bias adjustments , speaker swaps, pickup changes or any of that stuff. It's just perfect for me.

I don't think there is one perfect amp for everybody, but there is one perfect amp for me and I'm glad I found it!

It's the coolest lol......in all seriousness it's the classic rock machine you wish marshall would have made..... But it's beauty is while it slays classic rock tones, it isn't pigeon holed to that..... Phenomenal blues amp..... Can get those dare I say dumbley full thick blues tones, it can nail some country tones, even metal with a boost. Happy hunting though, you get a big bottled friedman or little bottled really and you be happy..... I'm not a huge runt fan, they are good but imo not the same level as the higher end models..... Though I would take a DS mini over the runt 50 all day long
Any amp that's "that close to a Bassman" can be pushed in lots of different directions. That's what really gets me, just how compelling its different personalities are. It has a nice, big, even, shimmery and rich tone clean, but can also rock with balls. I've been running it as a pedal platform, even though its on board rock tones are as good as they come. But there's also something about its present cleans that are lively and shimmer. Then when you kick on a great fuzz, more good things happen. So you can really be different players with it on different days.

I can't even fathom why someone could think of it as a "one trick pony" - I guess just a blind assumption based on the original having only one channel.

sickboy79

Original Dirty Shirley 40w head (no gain switch). Just an AMAZING amp the does so many tones. I can get blues/rockabilly tons to classic rock to hard rock tones with it. Super simple and it just gets "that tone" for me. Love it into a Marshall 4x12 with GBs.

Original Dirty Shirley 40w head (no gain switch). Just an AMAZING amp the does so many tones. I can get blues/rockabilly tons to classic rock to hard rock tones with it. Super simple and it just gets "that tone" for me. Love it into a Marshall 4x12 with GBs.
Yes! I feel the same way! Same speakers n cab! Amazing!

Any amp that's "that close to a Bassman" can be pushed in lots of different directions. That's what really gets me, just how compelling its different personalities are. It has a nice, big, even, shimmery and rich tone clean, but can also rock with balls. I've been running it as a pedal platform, even though its on board rock tones are as good as they come. But there's also something about its present cleans that are lively and shimmer. Then when you kick on a great fuzz, more good things happen. So you can really be different players with it on different days.

I can't even fathom why someone could think of it as a "one trick pony" - I guess just a blind assumption based on the original having only one channel.
100 percent agree, where it's versatility comes is is can do the bass man clean but also jcm 800 roar....... To me that's the perfect combo n I have it in one channel! Too many channels and I'll be trying to many different settings and tweaking too many things and I actually spend less time playing. As it is with one channel with three different gain structures. And two inputs, the possibilities already seem endless with just this one channel. I also agree about the different player Thing, You use a strat with it as a pedal platform for fuzz is and I used it as a loud, Roaring, Plexi type amp with the Les Paul, Just the fact that it can do both of those things. Sowell is amazing

Yeah man! Another thing I'm not doing is having the urge to play around with different tubes, bias adjustments , speaker swaps, pickup changes or any of that stuff. It's just perfect for me.

I don't think there is one perfect amp for everybody, but there is one perfect amp for me and I'm glad I found it!
Im glad u found your soul mate..... I have as well..... What can I say Shirley is a classy yet sexy girl! With a fat juicy bottom sexy midrange, and luscious top if u know what I mean lol

Geetarman74

New Friedman (first time) owner here. BE-50 Deluxe. Absolutely love it so far!

Now thinking about which Friedman to try next...looks like DS and JJ Jr are high potentials. Just not sure if the tones are different enough to justify?

New Friedman (first time) owner here. BE-50 Deluxe. Absolutely love it so far!

Now thinking about which Friedman to try next...looks like DS and JJ Jr are high potentials. Just not sure if the tones are different enough to justify?
I've played be and own shirley, way different..... Be has That smooth saturated thing Goin on..... Shirley is a raunchy hairy crunchy thing going on..... Perfect compliment to ur be. The Shirley is fatter and has a really nice lo mid voicing which is awesome for classic rock n grunge n the be is an 80s machine..... So with both u could cover 60s to current no problem

carouzal

Runt 20 with a Friedman 1x12 ported creamback and custom built open back 1x12 creamback. Sounds Devine both clean and dirty.

Trending Topics