Whose in love with their Friedmans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chance Terrill, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

The irony being that Dave has yet to offer a true NMV Plexi circuit (at least commercially) yet has stated numerous times his all time favorite amp would be a 1987 or 1959 '68 spec Marshall Plexi. His amps that have a "Plexi" channel I guess are voiced to sound like a Plexi but the circuits are clearly based on a master volume 2203/2204 preamp.

I'm not knocking it, I think he makes some great amps.

2. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

. Well him and Bray and Lee are mod guys..... Most of them felt the original plexi was lacking something..... Germino, Rockett retro etc. those are the clone guys.... I can't remember if it was Dave friedman or Dave Bray who said they're not interested in making clones cuz there are enough guys doing that, they said they wanted to make something different, what they wanted out of a plexi but didn't get..... I'm just glad if I want a great marshall plexi I can get a germino or if I want a modded plexi call Bray or a modded plexi/2204 call friedman...... It's great to have options.... I really wanted a Plexi but didn't want to have to get attenuator, and rely on drive or boost pedals to get heavy tones so I fit into the modded marshall camp as I wanted one box to do it all and feel I got a good amp for that purpose..... However eventually I got to get a germino just cuz..... Guy Is super cool too as is Dave friedman, and bray, I asked Dave friedman several questions during namm and he responded within 24 hours each time..... Thats really good customer service imo.... And Greg germino will talk ur ear off on the phone if u have any questions..... Great people building great amps these days

3. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Member

Smallbox 50 combo and the honeymoon is never ending. Just a stupid great high gain tone that cleans up really well. So lush and dynamic

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  4. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Yes! I feel u only mine is the ds thanks for sharing! What speaker u got Cookin in it?

Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  5. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Member

the stock creamback and its fantastic!

6. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Heck yeah man, keep it screamin

Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  7. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

I made the mistake of watching the YouTube vid with Jake E Lee.

Wouldn't be able to own one now.

admittedly, it shouldn’t matter, but somehow does.

ericb likes this.
  8. a1briz

a1briz Silver Supporting Member

Love my Smallbox 50. Sold my DSMini but will be getting another. And would also buy a Smallbox 20 in a heartbeat.

One question I have is why the 1x12 cabs come with creamback speaker, but the 2x12s come with V30s? I swapped one of the V30s in by Bogner 2x12 with a Creamback. Not crazy about it, I think I prefer the same sound coming out of the cab no matter where I'm standing in front of it. However, I think I prefer the creamback. Just wondering why they don't have a 2x12 with Greenbacks or Creambacks, yet that is what they pair the amps with on their 1x12 cabs. The plexi channel I def prefer the creamback. The BE channel I can't say I prefer one over the other, both sound great.

9. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Maybe they want a fatter tone to compensate for the 112 size.... But use v30s in the 212s cuz 212s sound bigger? Idk..... I use a quad of reissue greenbacks with my Shirley and it sounds great..... But I'm always tempted by scumbacks, I have to try some some day

10. goddot

goddot Member

Ive played my brothers 2018 BE 100 and it does sound a lot more like a marshall than the previous models... sounds more like his kitchen sink mods, He went back to 69 plexi filtering so its not so soft or dark sounding....especially with the voice switch to the right!

11. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

I wish I had some kind of need for 100 watts cuz I'd have a be100 deluxe so fast it'd make the flash go crosseyed

a1briz and goddot like this.
  12. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Does anyone know if the dirty shirley highest gain structure curcuit is more similar to the plexi channel or be channel of the BE100 Deluxe? Is it a tweaked more vintage voiced/lower gain version of be channel? Or are they not even similar? I saw a video by micheal Nielson demoing his custom be100 with one side dirty shirley the other standard be and they sound very similar back to back just the Shirley has a slightly more even frequency response and less gain where the be jumps up gain and pushes mids forward a little more..... I bet if u dimed mids on shirley and rolled gain back on be channel they would sound very similar...... Then again maybe not, that's why I'm not a betting man lol

13. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

I'm curious about some of the models, I admit... coming from a green chassis EL34 Shiva. I know the typical Bogner vs Friedman tonal differences, but I'm looking for something similar to the Shiva, but sings a little more. Would the Runt fit this or is this more in the territory of the SB or BE-50?

14. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Haven't played the BE50 but the runt is a bit bright n thin compared to the smallbox...... The sb just has more of everything as does the dirty shirley, the latter being the fattest the sb being in the middle and the runt being the thinnest...... Sb is more midforward.... Shirley is more vintage feeling and sounding with a flatter and fatter eq response..... Still very marshally mid hump but not as much in upper mids as sb.... More of a lo mid hump on shirley...... Smallbox does that immediate attack 80s hair rock thing in spades.... The Shirley does the zz top Zeppelin thing in spades (also sound garden outshined type things) and has a kind of give to it, got a bounce to it compared to smallbox, like some cushion around the note which then blooms out..... The smallbox is alot more stiff and tighter all over...... The runt felt and sounded more modern and alot smaller over all..... When I played it with the bass maxed it was like having the bass on 3 on the Shirley or smallbox the latter two sounding more 3d if that makes any sense what so ever...... Just my initial takeaway when i tested them back to back..... The only one I can give u a long term intimate description of is the big dirty shirley but no matter which model u get u will have a well-built and good sounding amp...... Side note the clean channel on runt 50 is like a fender clean..... Really nice..... Cleans on sb and shirley are more marshall flavored .... Happy hunting

15. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Thanks!!! So... the Runt is out LOL! Sounds like the Shirley is more Bogner-ish, if that makes sense... ? Are the cleans clean like a Shiva clean or more hard and a little broken?

How is the gain on the SB and Shirley without a pedal? I’m looking to really not use one and want a more singing (not necessarily more compressed) sound than the Shiva at full tilt.

16. a1briz

a1briz Silver Supporting Member

I have or have owned a DS Mini, Runt 20, and Smallbox. Also owned a Shiva 20th, though not a regular Shiva. I personally don't see many similarities between the Shiva 20th and any of those Friedmans.
    The cleans on the Shiva I miss, probably the best I've heard. The Friedmans are Marshalls sound. Shiva gain is not to my ears Marshall like. The Shiva 20th has way more gain than the Friedmans. I don't know how the regular Shiva gain amount compares to the Smallbox BE channel.

ntotoro likes this.
  17. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I own a DS mini and had a few bogners in the past and would not say that they are similar.

18. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I asked him about that and he said he might make a straight plexi, basically a copy of his favorite plexi that he owns. It just wasn't his first priority. Now I see why, given the ten amps he's cranked out since then.

If he does it, you know it's gonna kick some serious booty. He needs to build an attenuator into it IMO, lol. OK probably not, he would just tell you to get a Power Station. At least a variac though.

No amp truly has it all I guess. If you're hard core you'll get a plexi, a PS2, a box of power tubes and some biasing gear. Dime your amp 24/7, or go the F home and play Barry Manilow covers!

19. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

I'm not familiar enough with the Shiva to comment on the cleans..... Or the sb really but with the Shirley u can get some nice big fat clean tones if u have the newer one with the gain structure switch but still they are more like a jtm clean (still fendery really since the jtm was modded bassman) or some nice cleans by rolling ur guitar volume back but I wouldn't call them high headroom twin cleans lol... More like rhcp cleans..... Gain on either sb or shirley is like that of a jcm 800 dimed and hit with a little boost...... With the sb being the more gain(y) out of the two....thst said with my Shirley I use only a delay n wah and can go from clean to alice in chains heavy with a les paul using only my volume knobs and pup selector so that's enough gain for me 90 percent of the time...... I may get a boost to get stupid sometimes but I'm not left wanting with the amount of gain it has on its own..... And Im a huge alice in chains and black label society fan and have the Shirley about a year now, if that tells u anything...... The only thing that's kind of bognerish would be that the Shirley has alot of low mids..... Hope my rambling helped

ntotoro likes this.
  20. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Just wanted to drop a quick Thank u to all those who have shared their friedman love and took the time to post about it on my thread, special thanks to those who took time to post pics! Keep it rolling, treat this thread as a troll free safe space to redundantly rave about your friedman gear.... Honeymoon period posts are welcome and encouraged....... Keep ur Friedman's power section glowing and the friedman love flowing :rockin:dude

jimijimmyjeffy and Cloudmountain like this.