• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Whose in love with their Friedmans?

I own four (DS Mini combo, Twin Sister combo, BE-50 Deluxe, Wildwood BE), and I just wanted to chime in on not just how excellent their amps are, but also how fantastic their customer service is. Such a great company! They really stand behind their stuff, and all their products are excellent.
Heck yeah man! Dave is a Savage in the cs department, dude answers my emails in minutes most of the time

Viscerok

That's my type of rig right there! Is that a 212? How do u like it?
I love the Vertical 212. Loaded with V30’s but I may switch 65w Creambacks.
Let me tell you, Friedman’s customer service is top notch. I emailed them and within 10 minutes Dave himself replied.

That's a 412 with greens, I've been in the highest gain mode lately with gain backed off to 7 and my dispatch master in the loop..... Just sounds massive.... Shakes the whole basement ( and upstairs, my girl so kindly informed me lol)

Just got my Dirty Shirley Mini two days ago. Had a question about the gain switch and was surprised to get an almost immediate answer. Still learning this amp but, oh man it sounds good!
My shirley tip is run mids super high like 9, run bass at like 2, treble and presence to taste but I usually keep em both at around 6..... Thatll get u instant classic rock marshallesque bark and snarl........well with a Gibson style guitar anyways......Especially in the highest gain mode because that mode adds a . 68 capacitor on the second gain stage like a super lead does..... Its like a high pass filter, so it tightens and cuts some bass and boosts uppermids.....if u have any shirley questions feel free to ask as I've obsessively studied each setting and tried a bunch of tubes and ss rectifiers etc etc.

It’s 24 x 28 x 14 (11) vertical slant. It does sound huge! View attachment 311743
I'll bet that has great sound dispersion, with my 412 I get the beam because the speakers next to each other cancel out frequencies.... I'd love to play with one of those 212s.....my 412 is a beast though, it just has that oomph to it........ It's also a beast to carry but hey, for those about to rock......

Marioverkill

Damn son! Thanks for sharing! You mainly use IRs? Or u run through those 112s
Thanks ! I use the cabs in a WDW or Stereo as often as I can. I am not very comfortable with the IR's, feel kinda disconnected from the rig. I have a ADA GSC-6 coming this week which will be patched in the wet L/R lines. I will hopefully use this for recording and late night playing.

Thanks ! I use the cabs in a WDW or Stereo as often as I can. I am not very comfortable with the IR's, feel kinda disconnected from the rig. I have a ADA GSC-6 coming this week which will be patched in the wet L/R lines. I will hopefully use this for recording and late night playing.
Yeah, I'm not into simulations either, not because I'm above them or a purest but because a big part of what makes me inspired to play is not only feeling the sound but KNOWING how it works.
When I know a tube is cooking, and a speaker is moving air, I get this romantic warm feeling, also knowing that this same technology is what all the greats used, makes me feel Humbled and inspired.
I know this same type of gear can make amazing sounds because page and Angus and Hendrix etc. All used it. So it reminds me that the rest of it is up to me.
Sometimes I get caught up in over analyzing tones and tweaking knobs, say for example if something doesn't sound amazing instantly, I start tweaking stuff and blaming the gear. But knowing all the gear is top notch has forced me to be the element that makes it sound good....... Usually if I run into that situation where it doesn't instantly sound how I want it to, with in 5 minutes of adjusting my playing I end up with sounds I love. So I don't think I'll ever be a fan of modelers or IRs just because I think tube amps and cabs are the coolest part of a guitar rig....... I like looking at them, smelling them, and the idea of them, not to mention the sound lol.... Sorry for rambling, but the fact that tube amps and cabs get me so excited I ramble on and on, is exactly why I use them exclusively

Also, when using wet dry wet or stereo, how does that work? Do you have to have an amp switcher, or do you daisy chain the amps like pedals? Can u safely daisy chain 2 amps?

Marioverkill

Also, when using wet dry wet or stereo, how does that work? Do you have to have an amp switcher, or do you daisy chain the amps like pedals? Can u safely daisy chain 2 amps?
I will also be using tube amps until the end !LOL
You can't just daisy chain amps.
Tube amps always need a load connected; your speakers or load box.There are devices designed to do this.
I don't know how deep you want to get into this, but I will give you a quick rundown of my rig and you ask questions if you want more info.
I f you look at the pic of my rig, the third unit from the top is an Ampete 222. It can switch 2 amp heads into 2 cabs. My Port City Pearl is always my clean sound. My dirty sound is the SB now but sometimes I change to the Splawn or a Ceriatone Son of Yeti.I connect the amp I want to use at the time. The 222 can only do 2 amps. They make a 444 and 888 that can do more amps.
The 222 selects my clean or dirty amp and sends the speaker signal to my center dry cabinet.
A line out,(copy of the dry speaker signal) is sent to my MLC mixer( 5th device from top) where I add effects,(Eclipse,H3000,Boss CE-20).The Left and right outs of the mixer go to my Carvin TS100 power amp and to the wet, left and right cabs.
There are lots of threads of WDW and Stereo. It can be long to explain everything. It is easier to answer specific questions if you want to know more.
I can ramble on about this forever so don't be shy .

Adamclayton

I'm craving some friedman praising...... I'll go first...... Dirty shirley, mid gain position gain dimed, bass cut and presence and mids cranked...... Sublime classic rock tones with lp volume rolled back to 8.5..... 10 is a juicy solo boost....... Then step on a buxom boost with eq bypassed, tight knob at noon and boost at 11 o'clock and it's like a natural extension of the amp into serious high gain territory
I think you like hearing about praises of the amp tone on GP than actually playing and hearing the tone of the amp in real life lol, jk.

I’ve been enjoying my BE100 since 2013 and wish I never had to sell my Mini Dirty Shirley last year but I had bills. The BE100 has been my main amp live and studio since it came out.

I think you like hearing about praises of the amp tone on GP than actually playing and hearing the tone of the amp in real life lol, jk.

I’ve been enjoying my BE100 since 2013 and wish I never had to sell my Mini Dirty Shirley last year but I had bills. The BE100 has been my main amp live and studio since it came out.
When I'm not playing or can't play the next best thing is talking shop right?

I will also be using tube amps until the end !LOL
You can't just daisy chain amps.
Tube amps always need a load connected; your speakers or load box.There are devices designed to do this.
I don't know how deep you want to get into this, but I will give you a quick rundown of my rig and you ask questions if you want more info.
I f you look at the pic of my rig, the third unit from the top is an Ampete 222. It can switch 2 amp heads into 2 cabs. My Port City Pearl is always my clean sound. My dirty sound is the SB now but sometimes I change to the Splawn or a Ceriatone Son of Yeti.I connect the amp I want to use at the time. The 222 can only do 2 amps. They make a 444 and 888 that can do more amps.
The 222 selects my clean or dirty amp and sends the speaker signal to my center dry cabinet.
A line out,(copy of the dry speaker signal) is sent to my MLC mixer( 5th device from top) where I add effects,(Eclipse,H3000,Boss CE-20).The Left and right outs of the mixer go to my Carvin TS100 power amp and to the wet, left and right cabs.
There are lots of threads of WDW and Stereo. It can be long to explain everything. It is easier to answer specific questions if you want to know more.
I can ramble on about this forever so don't be shy .
OK, so do you ever have sound coming out off all three cabs? And the SB splwwn or ceriatone is your dry sound right? If not what is your dry sound, like which amp/ amps are for effects and which is for dry? Full. Disclosure I may be to dumb to figure this out lol..... I can build an entire house, re wire a guitar, bias a tube amp, but this might be to much for my primitive brain lol...... But u got me hooked now, I need to know

Marioverkill

OK, so do you ever have sound coming out off all three cabs? And the SB splwwn or ceriatone is your dry sound right? If not what is your dry sound, like which amp/ amps are for effects and which is for dry? Full. Disclosure I may be to dumb to figure this out lol..... I can build an entire house, re wire a guitar, bias a tube amp, but this might be to much for my primitive brain lol...... But u got me hooked now, I need to know
Hahahha. Welcome to the addiction
When in WDW , sound comes out of the three cabs. The center cab is dry . The left and right cabs have the fx with a bit of dry also. The Carvin TS100 power amp at the bottom of the rack powers the wet cabs. This setup to keep your raw tone intact ,while having fx in stereo.
I am only using one amp at a time which is the dry sound coming out of the center cab. ( At the moment I am switching between the Pearl for clean and SB for dirty).
When running stereo, I kill the dry cab by using the Suhr RL so I am left with the stereo cabs which have some dry mixed in with fx.
Do you like rig diagrams ? I can do a rig diagram that you look at to follow the signal flow.

Hahahha. Welcome to the addiction
When in WDW , sound comes out of the three cabs. The center cab is dry . The left and right cabs have the fx with a bit of dry also. The Carvin TS100 power amp at the bottom of the rack powers the wet cabs. This setup to keep your raw tone intact ,while having fx in stereo.
I am only using one amp at a time which is the dry sound coming out of the center cab. ( At the moment I am switching between the Pearl for clean and SB for dirty).
When running stereo, I kill the dry cab by using the Suhr RL so I am left with the stereo cabs which have some dry mixed in with fx.
Do you like rig diagrams ? I can do a rig diagram that you look at to follow the signal flow.
Yeah Thad be cool!

Trending Topics