• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Whose in love with their Friedmans?

cam0122

I love my DS40. Best amp I've come across for my interests. No doubt. Sounds and feels so great. I'm using a Marshall 1960 cab with English 20w greenbacks.

It's the first time in a long time where I don't want to try and improve my tone. Turn it on every day and it just sounds repeatedly great. No fuss no muss. I run the BMT on full. So its basically a three knob amp for me. Gain , volume and presence. Simple. Love it.

Edit to add context * I'm into classic/ hard rock. EVH, Lynch, Warren D Martini, Satriani, Ronnie Montrose, Sabbath... that type of stuff.
Does the Dirty Shirley deliver the Van Halen and Dimartini tones without pedals?

Anyone sent theirs back to Dave (or anyone else to have re-tolexed)? If so how much did it cost? Keep thinking this SB would sound even better in red or white.

Does the Dirty Shirley deliver the Van Halen and Dimartini tones without pedals?
It depends on how you run it, if you are running it loud on highest gain structure with a 50s wired lp, then yes it can get close if you cut bass to around 9 o clock and run mids at 8 or 9 and treble n pres around 6...... But if you put a tube screamer in front or a buxom boost, any boost that tightens bottom up, you can get there effortlessly..... Also early Metallica tones..... Super percussive

Last edited:

ntotoro

Has anyone actually played a Wildwood SB50? How does it compare to/contrast with the "regular" one?

Man oh man..... Call me crazy but I swear I just had a mind blowing realization.....i kept havimg trouble with cracking cables cutting in and out.... I've always bought your run of the mill 25 to 30 $ cables....... So I just bought a dadarrio American stage 15 foot cable and it was like when I switched from 300 k to 550k pots...... Just so much more clarity and harmonic content came through....... It sounds like when I would use a short cable straight in the amp Only even more pure!..... N I'm running through 2 true bypass pedals in front and one in the loop.... The loop has about 25 feet of cable in all...... Now I'm thinking it's time to switch all my cables out for these things...... They are glorious! Anyone else have experience with these?

bman5150us

Silver Supporting Member
Man oh man..... Call me crazy but I swear I just had a mind blowing realization.....i kept havimg trouble with cracking cables cutting in and out.... I've always bought your run of the mill 25 to 30 $ cables....... So I just bought a dadarrio American stage 15 foot cable and it was like when I switched from 300 k to 550k pots...... Just so much more clarity and harmonic content came through....... It sounds like when I would use a short cable straight in the amp Only even more pure!..... N I'm running through 2 true bypass pedals in front and one in the loop.... The loop has about 25 feet of cable in all...... Now I'm thinking it's time to switch all my cables out for these things...... They are glorious! Anyone else have experience with these?
not quite, but I had a similar problem due to the length of all my cable. I felt like I was getting tone suck with all 4 cables I was running, so I strategically added a few buffered pedals at the beginning abs end of each segment (in front of the amp a s in the loop.). It made a big difference-much better treble response. The last piece of the puzzle for me was to add a Wampler dB+Clean boost pedal at the end of my loop chain. It’s got a switchable buffer that I always leave on.

ntotoro

That’s the big reason I like the Friedman Gold wah: the output buffer. Adding it allowed me to remove my Analogman buffer (a great, great pedal), thus freeing up room on my board and still giving me a buffer after my wah.

I lose both gain and presence without any buffer in my chain.

bman5150us

Silver Supporting Member
Ntotoro- you hit the nail on the head. Everyone thinks “no buffer” = “better” and that’s just not always the case. Strategically placed buffered pedals really can help tighten up / preserve your signal. Buffered and non-buffered pedals both have their place. And correct me if I’m wrong, but “true bypass” pedals are in fact buffered when they are on. So, technically I think you could use an unbuffered pedal as a “buffer” if it’s an “always on” pedal.

I was just so shocked to find out how much signal a cable can destroy..... My biggest problem with cables is they start crackling and you have to place them just right or it'll cut out...... Especially the cable to the guitar..... If I jiggle it it will cut out...... Even if the cable is good, and I've replaced the guitar jack so I know it's good.....
Now that I have this d'addario cable it's alot better though, I can still get it to cut out if I wiggle it enough but I think that's normal? I'm guessing when it gets moved a certain way the tab in the jack that makes connection gets separated and that's why it cuts out

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
Ntotoro- you hit the nail on the head. Everyone thinks “no buffer” = “better” and that’s just not always the case. Strategically placed buffered pedals really can help tighten up / preserve your signal. Buffered and non-buffered pedals both have their place. And correct me if I’m wrong, but “true bypass” pedals are in fact buffered when they are on. So, technically I think you could use an unbuffered pedal as a “buffer” if it’s an “always on” pedal.
I discovered that with my acoustic. Just plugging into my Origin Effects compressor, not even turning it on, made a huge difference in clarity. Huge.

cr8z4life

Gold Supporting Member
OK Speaker question for a Small Box .
Does any one have the 212 closed cab with vintage 30's ? I liked the clarity but did not need a 212 . I ordered an open back cab with the Creamback . I can't put my finger on it but....it lacks the clarity of the vintage 30's . Kind of dark .
What has your experience been .
I have both the Small box and Twin Sister Combo's. My new Twin Sister came with a Red Back and I liked it so much I just put one in my Small box . Really like this speaker.

Jim S

Platinum Supporting Member
not quite, but I had a similar problem due to the length of all my cable. I felt like I was getting tone suck with all 4 cables I was running, so I strategically added a few buffered pedals at the beginning abs end of each segment (in front of the amp a s in the loop.). It made a big difference-much better treble response. The last piece of the puzzle for me was to add a Wampler dB+Clean boost pedal at the end of my loop chain. It’s got a switchable buffer that I always leave on.
I was just so shocked to find out how much signal a cable can destroy..... My biggest problem with cables is they start crackling and you have to place them just right or it'll cut out...... Especially the cable to the guitar..... If I jiggle it it will cut out...... Even if the cable is good, and I've replaced the guitar jack so I know it's good.....
Now that I have this d'addario cable it's alot better though, I can still get it to cut out if I wiggle it enough but I think that's normal? I'm guessing when it gets moved a certain way the tab in the jack that makes connection gets separated and that's why it cuts out

ntotoro

That‘s actually why I do like the Friedman Wah so much. I have the wah, a Peterson tuner, Analogman-modded ‘74 CS Script Logo Phase 90, Analogman Chorus and Fulltone Deja Vibe on my board. None are always-on. The output buffer in the wah is always-on, even when the wah isn‘t.

Chain goes guitar-tuner-wah-chorus-Phase 90-Vibe-amp.

Adamclayton

No, your guitar signal cutting out when moving the cable is definitely not normal, for anyone I know of. Your guitar jack should lock that jack into place without any movement. Buffers are your friend and so are quality cables. Never made sense to spend so much time and money on your rig and skimp on any of the connection cables.
This is all stuff you just learn with years of experience, it’s all good.

No, your guitar signal cutting out when moving the cable is definitely not normal, for anyone I know of. Your guitar jack should lock that jack into place without any movement. Buffers are your friend and so are quality cables. Never made sense to spend so much time and money on your rig and skimp on any of the connection cables.
This is all stuff you just learn with years of experience, it’s all good.
Well it does now unless I really jiggle the cable around, I have to try and make it happen now, sort of like if there is any dirt or gunk on ur cable or jack and u spin it you will hear static..... If u angle it just the right way you get it to cut out a little bit, all the jack is is a piece of Spring steel that touches the end of your cable, also old style Lps with braided single conductor can make contact to cable end and since the braid is the ground it can cut ur signal as well

amigo30

Silver Supporting Member
Whose in love with their Friedmans?
With 49 pages and a many month run - you should try to correct the title of this thread.

It's really strikingly wrong.

Whose and Who's are about as interchangeable as "Elephant" and "Blender". They are completely different words.

Senor Forum

Platinum Supporting Member
With 49 pages and a many month run - you should try to correct the title of this thread.

It's really, really wrong.

Whose and Who's are about as interchangeable as "Elephant" and "Blender". Completely different words.
Oh, walk on with that hyperbolic drivel. They may have different meanings, but they sound exactly the same, and I’ve seen autocorrect bounce between the two with just a letter missing.

It happens.

Trending Topics