Why all the Floyd Rose Hate?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GAD, Jun 16, 2008.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I'll admit I'm out of touch - last time I was "into" guitars at the level I am now was the early 80s when the FR was "it".

Why do they seem so widely disdained now?

I'm not a FR fanboy or anything - I'm genuinely curious.

GAD

2. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

Those that can't do....hate.

An increase in intolerance is positively correlated with an increase in age.

And.....they're a b*tch to setup properly if you've no experience doing so. High-maintenance bridges, for sure.

3. mike80

mike80 Member

I can't speak for everyone else, but I can't stand FRs because of the rediculous ammount of time they comsume in order to set them up properly. Then they constantly need adjusted. I have one guitar with a FR, and it's blocked. I've had 3 or 4 guitars with FRs, and they all have either been sold or traded off.

I'll take a fixed bridge guitar before anything that has a tremolo, expecially a FR.

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

There was no internet then. Everyone's an expert now. Everyone has golden ears now too. "Gotta get the Zinc, Chromium, Bat Guano extra heavy block or it sounds like crap" stuff. No real reason. Heck now that everyone is making 2 point floating trems there isn't even the "they're a bitch to set up" argument anymore! Although ya gotta admit, you don't tweak your intonation like you might with a normal tailpiece as often... That is a pain:rotflmao

5. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I think FRs remind some guitarists of the 80's, a period of music they perhaps dislike.

6. jimfear

jimfear Silver Supporting Member

I have no beef with them other than the set-up part. I like to change tunings on the fly and that's just impractical with a FR. As far as tone, I've had floyd rose guitars that ring out about as well acoustically as fixed tail piece guitars, so I think it's more about the wood and craftsmanship.

7. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

it's because the floyd is a tone-sucking pain in the ass. all that work so your guitar can sound thin and tinny. it doesn't make sense. it works for that overdriven, overprocessed, wanker tone of the 80's but otherwise it's useless.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

Like anything you need to learn how to use a Floyd. When a Floyd is set up right they will not go out of tune and it isn't very hard to change strings.

9. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

I hate the Floyd Rose because of all the beautiful vintage guitars that they ruined in the 80's. Every time I see a really nice Les Paul or a strat with one I die a little inside.

10. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Anyone that uses a trem heavily as part of their playing can appreciate the Floyds. If your a subtle trem user or don't use the bar much at all I can understanding not liking it but hate it is just stupid. For the suckers that think they rob tone listen to some old VH stuff and tell me how much tone they rob.. Nuff Said!

11. drbob2u

drbob2u Active Member

They're fun at times but high maintainance with all the clamping of strings and adjusting. They make you appreciate the other trems where you just string through the guitar and wind up. Used to take me a good 30-45 minutes to restring and set up a floyd rose whereas it only takes me 10 at most with standard or fixed trems.

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

For me, it's because I learned how to keep a regular trem in tune and quit blaming the gear for my ignorance. So I didn't need the extra PIA that comes along with a Floyd like dealing with looking for wrenches and having to cut the ends of the strings, and replacing those little blocks that like to rust up from my sweat and the extra broken strings. Funny that I rarely break strings on a vintage trem, but on a Floyd because of that sharp angle at the saddle, they always break there and then you have to unwind some off the post and stick it in... ughhh what a drag.

Plus, what if you want to change tunings on the fly. With a Floyd, forget about it. Even if it's set flush against the body, you still have to unlock the damn clamp. Too much, for too little.

13. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Well, for me stringing a Floyd is easier than on another guitar, but the set-up is a problem, I agree.

I always put the ball ends through the tuners and just easily slip the string into the clamp in the trem.

Easier than winding and clipping, etc. at the tuner.

On the other hand, intonation is never easy.

14. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

You put the ball end in the tuner. That way you don't have the wound part of the string break off in the saddle and you don't have to clip off the balls at all.

This is how they were meant to be strung-up. Any other way is just doing it wrong.

15. damo7v

damo7v Member

Perhaps it's a result of all the kids who pick them up in GC and proceed to impress their buddies with that cool doesn't-this-sound-like-a-race-car pre-bend on the low E.

Other than that, when used judiciously, they are simply another avenue for expression.

16. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Carbz, VH often said how he had to heavily EQ his tone because of how the Floyd thinned his tone.

But I agree, you can still get a great tone with a Floyded guitar. There's so many variables to effect things.

17. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Taking that out of the equation and I say this wholeheartedly that I am almost never able to tell much of a difference in sound from one solid body guitar to another as long as the pickups are the same. At least not enough to say one sounds good and the other sounds bad. I generally don't listen for subtle difference's in a guitars tone which is why to me the amp and speakers are where the sound lies. The guitar is a whole 10% at best. If the amp sounds good the guitar sounds good

18. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

I thought he said that about the studio. He did have trouble using one in the studio, that's for sure.

But he also said that it was a problem because Ted Templeton was forcing a live sound in the studio with very little monkeying around.

19. Fred Russ

Fred Russ Member

The Floyd Rose tremelo system seems to change the tone of your guitar. If you're going to install a tremelo system, you want to get tremelo period - not potential tone robbing. They've gotten a pretty bad rap lately because of that - exaggerated or not. I suspect a lot of the problems may also be based on the way its installed too.

20. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

Just picked up a Strat with a factory Floyd. My other guitar is fixed (PRS SE). Once I got adjusted it was great. I don't play the PRS much anymore.