Why all the hate for blues jams and lawyers with nice guitars?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hippietim, Aug 19, 2019.

1. hippietim

hippietim Member

I see the misguided anger and frustration here pretty regularly but reading the Edge thread really brought a lot of it out.

Seriously, what the f**k is wrong with a blues jam? You're too artsy? You're so much better than everyone else? The blues is beneath you? Old guys having a blast wanking on expensive guitars that you don't feel like they deserve to own rubs you the wrong way? Young kids shredding metal licks on their Schecters over Cissy Strut makes your blood boil? You're a supposed "pro" and are appalled that these no talent hacks are playing every Tuesday night for free and you can't get a paying gig on a Saturday night?

You can make a better personal choice and just not go to the blues jam or just appreciate it for exactly what it is - a chance for people to do what they love and let off some steam.

And what's wrong with lawyers (or anyone else) owning nice expensive guitars? You don't think they're worthy? But you are? My favorite is when people dismiss these folks as people that can't play because of their job type or bank account. Well, the only lawyer I know personally that plays guitar would smoke most of you. I also know a bunch of millionaires that can play their ass off and dirt poor people that suck hard. And vice versa, the ability to play well has nothing to do with your income bracket.

Again, there's an opportunity for a better personal choice here, save up money for the expensive guitar yourself if it's that much of an issue to you or just be happy for the person that has been fortunate enough in life to be able to buy these guitars.

2. Markv7

Markv7 Supporting Member

Add to that the “dad” band hate. I got two kids and a job that can be really stressful some days. I’d kill to know a few other guys in my situation that would like to jam and blow off some steam. Most of the dads in my neighborhood are not really passionate about anything other than watching sports on tv and getting out of shape. I think it’s great to run into other dads that are still passionate and pursuing something that defines them outside of their domestic role.

3. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

The vent and feel betta thread..

4. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I go to them as they give me a chance to play, as an ex pro I really need to play more then I am able too, better then TV. But there are some issues,
    1. quality of players some guys just suck and really have no clue
    2. Clique's....hey high school was years ago
    3.Guys play the 3 same fricking song. One guy who is a local vintage dealer in philly gets cut a lot of leeway and has been playing the same 6 songs for 25 years.
    4. Politics
    5. my pet peeve, I plug right into the amp the other guy brings a pedal board and tries to show you up

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I go to blues jams and I'm quite happy with people with bad attitudes about them staying away. What they might say on TGP is just, well, stuff people say on TGP.

I will say that I've seen very few PRSs, but the people who have brought them are just as welcome as anyone else.

6. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I think it's just a human nature thing - there are certain people that seem to take enormous pleasure in tearing down other's playing or listening habits. It could be arrogance, it could be lack of self esteem - the need to treat down something else to feel better about yourself' - but it says a lot more about the person making the unpleasant comments than it does the player being discussed.

It's not just the blues lawyer thing - any indie guitarist thread ends up full of dullards thrashing around crowing about how they can't play, writing songs doesn't make them guitarists etc etc, and it seems to be impossible to discuss female musicians on here without a background chorus of 'she wouldn't have a guitar career if people weren't interested in looking at her breasts'.

The important thing to remember is it's a shame these people exist but they're not the majority. Reply once if you feel like it then concentrate on keeping the discussion going with people that aren't idiots.

7. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

My local blues jam has a range of players, from hack to pretty ok. Its hard for me to get inspired for my 15 minute set by listening to hacks for two hours. So, Ive stopped going for the most part.

I think that jams are pretty cool in general. Once I joined a couple bands I started to not enjoy them as much.

8. Falsecrack

Falsecrack Supporting Member

Be thankful if the music scene in your area has enough musicians (good or bad), to host a blues jam. I’ve loved everyone I’ve been to simply because they are so scarce in my neck of the woods.

daiku, TravisE, Danny D and 20 others like this.
  9. Badtone

Badtone Supporting Member

I enjoy the local blues jam when I'm in town and can go, it's a lot of fun and pretty well run. I'm not a lawyer, though... but I do wear tan pants ;)

10. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I like women and dig it when they are good at what they do. I get bummed out when I see them going along with sexy outfits to sell the package.

And I think its true unfortunately, that if they were more modest, they wouldnt sell as much.

11. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

I think some people are just really comfy with being dicks on the internet where they can be anonymous.

12. mikebat

mikebat Member

No problem with them or their guitars. Heck, awesome! It is nice to have cool things and love guitar! We are all fans.

It is when they lack humility and forcibly offer advice that they don't have the years of back breaking gigs to base their opinions on.

TravisE, Zappatalist, Danny D and 3 others like this.
  13. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I thought it was just sort of a running joke on TGP.... not to be taken serious. :confused

T Dizz, rjung22, vidret and 27 others like this.
  14. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I’ve never been to one but would like to one of these days just to listen.

If some “hack” gets up to play I will happily applaud his courage to step up and play in front of people, haters be damned. It can’t be easy when you likely know you’re not an awesome player but they’re up there trying rather than sitting on the couch at home watching tv, so good for them.

The elitist attitude in the guitar world has to discourage so many players who would love to try their hand at playing live but are too scared to try for fear of being judged.

I suck. Like really bad, and absolutely don’t have the confidence to play in front of anyone. But I enjoy playing, I have fun with it, and I’m slowly learning. It’s enough for me. But how many players similar to me think they should try their hand at playing live at a jam only to get discouraged. It’s a shame such players aren’t nurtured by the higher skilled players rather than ridiculed and judged.

15. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Leisure time and financial security envy.

16. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Supporting Member

Those who are the most insecure are usually the ones who talk the loudest.

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Most of the time its just people kidding around...I know it is for me. OTOH a cliche becomes a cliche because the object of the cliche occurs frequently.

18. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I can only answer this from my perspective and experience.

The guys who epitomized that stereotype we’re extremely self-righteous and condescending to people that didn’t play strictly blues. There was an attitude that if you played anything other than stripped down traditional blues, that you weren’t a “real” musician. They would say condescending things like “all rock n roll is just a rip off and cheap version of the blues” “you just don’t get it, you can’t understand it” we’re popular things to say if you even hinted at the blues not being your thing.

I’ll give a specific example. There was this open mic jam held at a local bar. The band I was in hadn’t had a gig yet and to kinda get our feet wet, we went and signed up to play as a group. This was about 2003. We played Blonde- Tide is High, The Cars - Just What I Needed and ELO - Do Ya. Crowd loved us, place went wild. We come off stage and the folded arms Son House & Lightning Hopkins cult walked up to me and the female singer and out of nowhere, with no beginning or lead in to the conversation... say “Well that was crap. You guys know that basically all of that style comes from the Blooz..., why you want to play that teeny bopper pop, I don’t know, you guys should learn your history and where real music began”

I’m out spoken but have no problem letting things go by... I remember saying, “seriously, you’re telling me Blonde is really just the blues?”

I just really hated that attitude. Most of them if not all, were lazy un-disciplined hacks that didn’t want to put in any work to learn songs. They just wanted to play the pentatonic and sing songs about cotton and steam trains.... you’d then see them load their $5000 guitar into their $50,000 foreign car and drive off. Yeah, cotton speaks to you.....

I also hate the “the Blooz speak to me, you just don’t get it”

I mean what don’t I get, that nobody can tell when they start or stop a song because it’s the same song, that they don’t know how to do a stacked harmony, that they don’t know how to learn an arrangement?

I also resent 3/4 of the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame being about blues guys. If I go to the Blues Hall of Fame will 3/4 of the place be about big band?

That’s why I don’t like that stereotype. It was thrown in our faces for years during their popularity. But I also really get bored to tears hearing the music. Even if it’s done well...it’s boring.

I use to be able to go up and down the street and every place had the same set going playing blues. The big fad that just flat made me laugh was all these local guys thinking they were going to like make it... they all tried to sell these terrible cd’s. They’d spend 10 minutes between songs talking about the recording or release... nobody cared. The other big fad was stopping between verses and shouting out your name like anyone would remember or care.. sometimes their real name sometimes these ridiculous made up nicknames. It’s like... your a postman, why are you singing you’re Little Wade Jr, or big hands Sam? When I know your name is Kevin.

And what the heck is with the bowling shirts and Sinatra hats? On what planet did the Braille institute of fashion tell you that was cool?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  19. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

I agree with the people who have said it's unfortunately about basic human nature. Take a look at /r/gatekeeping. This same type of thing happens with sports equipment, racing cars, computer equipment. Anything you can think of where some skill is involved along with various levels of equipment that can be bought.

20. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Nailed right in the first sentence. I've been to a few of those with the full intent to jam and have a good time. Ugh. Never again. Arrogance City.