Why all the hate for blues jams and lawyers with nice guitars?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hippietim, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Any video?;)

2. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

If someone cannot, at least, see the humor in a highly paid professional playing "the blues" on a $3000+ guitar, I think they might need to step away from the 10 top for a bit.

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

No I don't take it so personally, and my wording could have been better but it was rushed. Guys do show up with all sorts of pedals and take a while to set up, 3 seconds is not a real world experience and start playing all over you as if they are trying to prove something. There is one local guy who I have run across a few times who runs delay chorus and od like it is LA in 1984, whammy bar and yeah it sucks to get stuck play with a guy like that, can't hear yourself and while trying to make music he's trying to show off looking to have some fun and the guy walks all over you. like taking a knife to a gun fig.t

edro likes this.
  4. drlucky

drlucky Member

The jam leader's wife will sometimes video and post to Facebook. If she posts a video, I'll share it!;)

Marc Roy likes this.
  5. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Woke up this morning,
    My diversified portfolio was gone!

MoBigBro and frank4001 like this.
  6. mikebat

mikebat Member

Are these the same guys who think they’d blow the Edge off the stage?

Marc Roy likes this.
  7. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Oh boy.

8. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

I agree

9. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

... as long as you begin with working on his attitude ... :p

seriously, there was a bit of a deeper meaning behind my joke.
    jamming shows better than anything else who's a musician and team player, and who's a poser - and it's not about the solos.
    the great guys are those who get a cool, reliable groove going when somebody else takes a solo, that's what separates the men from the boys, and this takes discipline along with the creativity.

just saying, not aimed at you personally,
    Rhino

drlucky and edro like this.
  10. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Saying highly paid professionals can't play (or have) the blues is strange. So then Joe B can no longer play the blues?

Suave Eddie likes this.
  11. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Not me...after one song with that crap I'd tell them both - very directly but politely - to leave room for the other guys to play and to stop playing over people. I've run into that before...another guitarist...just shredding over the top of vocals and other solos. I just explained it to him and he stopped doing it. He was good too, just no patience I guess.

12. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

13. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

Seems like a pretty decent guy to me... helps people and likes blues, what's not to like?

1967SG likes this.
  14. morlll

morlll Member

Sez you.

15. morlll

morlll Member

Thanks for ending your story. Nothing here it's over the story has ended

Suave Eddie likes this.
  16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Haven’t read the thread through yet..

To me, it is just a matter of how you do playing. If you are good, you are good, if you just rehash cliches it’s no feel or can’t really play your instrument with feel and intuition, you have a ways to go and o won’t put you down for that.

I think for some the temptation is to look down on these folks assuming they haven’t played long enough and are not solid on their instruments. Or that they are “playing at” being musicians.

I’ve been playing in bands since the seventies. I don’t know if I’ve earned my dues, but I’ve never lived off of playing, I’ve just played in bands and done gigs since I was around 16. Even at 16 I think we were pretty good. The temptation is to put down someone that maybe played a little at home as a teen, put it all away to get a degree, and at a much later date wanted to get back “into it” while some of us always played through thick and thin, our whole lives. I don’t care. If I meet a person and hear that they play well, I like to hear it and respect that.

I noticed though that it became a slight problem when at an older age, trying to put together a band. Some folks my age were in that category of “played a little as a teen” and just weren’t musically advanced enough to play with at that point. If it seemed they were close, it could go but in some cases it just wasn’t going to work out if they didn’t have enough musical “sense”.

Maybe I understand the motive for dissing these folks, but I really think it smacks of snobbery and misplaced values. of wanting to raise your own status not based on what you can do, but on putting down the idea of someone learning later in life. Again, if they are good, they are good, and if they aren’t they may be close to being. I played in bands as a 16 year old and we were good...I didn’t have a lot of experience then. I just burned for playing in a band.

I’ve never been a “tan pants” put down kinda guy, though I do bristle at lyrics sheets on music stands. To me that is just way worse than tan pants, dentists playing, that’s is laziness.

Bobby D, ProfRhino and drlucky like this.
  17. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Less free time, less disposable income, less hands on society with more starring at screens than building stuff.... tons of reasons

I know lots of friends who spend free time driving Uber to help pay bills, I’m sure they would enjoy wood craft or something better as a hobby, but health insurance costs etc don’t give that luxury

drlucky likes this.
  18. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I'll give my answer as the Crabby Old Pro Musician. Why is it called a Blues Jam?
    It really is about guitarists with limited abilities. The other musicians are just collecting a paycheck and putting up with them.

Wether it's Karoeke Night, Trivia Night,etc. The bar owner just wants the till to ring,and pay the least $$ they can. In the past Bars needed bands that were more professional to draw a crowd. Now it's a New Era, YUCK !

19. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

morlll, mycroftxxx and drlucky like this.
  20. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

As I said earlier, it's called a "blues jam" only because in general blues is a simple enough format to play so that random players can get a chance to play together without too much prep.
    I enjoy it the most when I get a chance to get up with better caliber players and we can do tunes that may be more unconventional and not so formulaic. In these situations we can do stuff way beyond I-IV-V Sweet Home Chicago etc.

I moved to my present community 12 years ago after retiring. It had been about 15 years since I had played in a band and had just been playing infrequently at home alone sometimes with backing tracks. In my new setting I found a thriving jam scene. Playing with others is invaluable as it requires a different skill set than playing alone. You have to learn to listen and become part of a living combo. I started getting out and going to jams every week. I was rusty and it must have been obvious but I was tolerated and encouraged everywhere I went. As with other participants this was my only outlet to play live with other musicians. The jams around here do attract a lot of really talented players and there is nothing like playing with people better than you to help you improve. Over time I met so many local musicians and eventually made contacts that actually invited me to join/form a couple of bands. Both those bands recently became defunct so I'm back to the jams as my only outlet. Of course with the diverse levels of players there will always be trainwrecks as well as some amazing performances. The audiences here are not exclusively players and people actually come because they enjoy the music.

The idea that the blues genre cannot be played by people other than black sharecroppers is ludicrous. The same stereotype standards don't seem to be applied to classical music or jazz. It's just a style of music that also happens to be the basis of a massive amount of rock and popular genres.