Why all the hate for blues jams and lawyers with nice guitars?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hippietim, Aug 19, 2019.

1. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Didn't say it was invalid,just not up to his standard as his best work. Albert Grossman who I believe was Bob Dylan's manager along with Al Kooper and CBS records were the hucksters.
    I'm so glad I had an actual chance to see the older legends Muddy Waters, Albert King, Howlin Wolf, Cornell Dupree,Ray Charles, Albert Collins, B.B.King, and
    others. There are few younger greats like Lucky Peterson, Shemila Copeland, etc still carrying the tradition of the Blues.

But the marketed SRV wannabes make me I'll. And no doubt SRV would feel the same about it.

morlll, Jon C and GulfportBound like this.
  2. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

because 1) lawyers are scum who sell out and ruin everything they touch, such as the music industry & now, apparently, the music equipment industry

& 2) see one.

as far as blues goes, sure its ok i guess. In small doses i can enjoy some BB king, but i got a short attention span man; you're gonna be playing variations of the same lick, semi-clean guitar tone for five mintues, i'm gonna change the youtube to something faster & louder.

freedom's door likes this.
  3. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

The unmarketed SRV fanbois are no bowl of rice pops, either.

I had the pleasure of sticking it to a bunch of them at a jam in Louisville back in 1998. Louisville then was so SRV mad and the Vaughanabes and fanbois were so obnoxious about it that their
    blues society actually put into the contracts for their annual battle of the blues bands---do not play SRV music.

Anyway, that night when it was my turn to play, with a small mob of Vaughanabes in the place doing their usual, I huddled the other players when we came to our last song. I asked who could sing
    "Cold Shot." (I can't sing worth you-know-what.) The bassist said he could. So I said, "ok, you guys, follow me." And I hit the theme lick of "Cold Shot" . . . reggae style. The others picked
    up immediately and fell in, and we took it for one hell of a ride. With a packed dance floor. Every musician on the stand cutting as deep and wide a groove as you could ask.

We got a standing O for that one. And the Vaughanabes/fanbois went batsh!t nuts in outrage. One of them got in my face after we came off the bandstand demanding to know who the eff
    I thought I was to corrupt The Master's sacred canon. (OK, that wasn't his phrase, but you get the idea.) I told him, "Did you see that packed dance floor?" He said, "Yeah, so what?" I said, "Did
    you hear the standing O we got?"

He didn't say another word. But a few in the crowd bought us drinks after that one. I savoured every sip.

drlucky, BlueRiff and Jon C like this.
  4. Dale

Dale Member

I understand your point, I think, however I do not think all music is "school" or serious music. Bars, clubs, garages, etc. have long histories of popular sing-alongs and singing rounds. The "blues jam" is often just a variation of it. I do not expect them be seen as replacements for serious (school) music development and performance. Just as karaoke is not typically seen as educational or serious as a musical form. The serious approach to music is important, but not the only form of music that is valid. At least as I see it. The evening out can be for the opera, orchestra, intense jazz/blues venue or it can be a few beers with the buds and some fun wankery! I spend time in both and I find both valuable to me as a human.

Jon C, mycroftxxx and GulfportBound like this.
  5. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I guess I'm old enough to remember when actual musicians tried to play at the top of their game in nightclubs. Wether it was Cover band or a more Original type of band.
    Now it's just devolved into bad Karoeke. What a shame,why can't they at least play the more recent Country Music covers instead?

ellis dee likes this.
  6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It’s ok that you aren’t a blues fan, but the ART of blues is taking that structure and doing something “real” with it...getting something going, playing a solo that IF you actually get into it, surprises you.

I’ve been into blues (and all kinds of other music) since I was a kid in the seventies and I get surprised quite often by real players (be they pros, amateurs or even lawyers) taking a solo and just making it work...again, with twists and the whole of it working perfectly.

And really, why not complain there are only twelve notes and all music is just rehash? It’s true, and most rock and pop are using a very small number of progressions. Yet of you get into it they are as varied as snowflakes.

GulfportBound likes this.
  7. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

I'm happy the pretentious, insufferable grumps stay away from blues jams. It's likely to leave them more fun for those who go.

8. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I don't understand why anyone would be upset at people that want to play music, get together and do so.

9. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Blues jams imo tie directly to numerous other social music situations, eg Irish pub sing-alongs**, notwithstanding that some people do it badly. :idea:cool:

** btw I’ve joined the lads and played a blues in trad jams in Dublin & Galway :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Tommy Biggs and mycroftxxx like this.
  11. AbePhroman

AbePhroman Member

Brother from another mother. I just bought a new house in a nice neighborhood. Hopefully I can make some new friends who don't mind a 37yo amateur.

JK1965 and morlll like this.
  12. morlll

morlll Member

A Doughnut in Grannies Greenhouse.

That's a great great album. Hunting tigers, My Pink Half of the Drainpipe.

Sorry for the incursion. Please get back to slagging people with more money than you that are having fun and not driving but calling Uber to get to the Blooz Jam and have a:beer few drinks,:drink before they go home to their beautiful home with a beautiful wife, 2.5 kids and many German cars. Oh and the guitars all the nice untunable fancy guitars.:band:beer

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  13. morlll

morlll Member

You don't EVER have to worry about that happening.:p

BlueRiff and Declassified like this.
  14. Declassified

Declassified Member

its about having fun with a community of like minded people. a jam night IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL SETTING. Its people trying to have fun, if you're the type to belittle people for trying or put people down because they aren't professional, stay the **** home.

15. Declassified

Declassified Member

we understand just fine, are non pros not allowed to have a night for fun? ****ing gate keeping is so bad in music.

JK1965, BluesSanta, drlucky and 2 others like this.
  16. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

What you guys fail to understand is that this is what the music has become. I'm not against amateur musicians per se. But you have replaced the pros,because the public doesn't value actual professionals.
    In general music has devolved to a point of simplicity where all you need is Garage Band and a Singer. It is what it is and Entertainment is the draw, without actual musicians in the mix any longer! So Sad to see this happen.

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I wouldn’t correct you, since maybe you are seeing this but I sure am not, professional musicians are playing the same places, yet they also have lesser known amateur bands. None of them are bad either.

I think the public, a lot of them don’t care and never will, they just want to get out and drink and listen to some music, but others do care a lot and listen closely. It still comes down to talent, and style.

I’d rather hear a decent amateur rock cover band than some pro bands I know of where I just don’t like their music.

Østby I do see a few middle level “pro” musicians playing out, but not many. Usually they either go big, or they can’t (and never were able) make a living only by playing.

drlucky likes this.
  18. City Kid

City Kid Member

Umm..Entertainment has always been the draw. Just sayin'.

jads57 likes this.
  19. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Dick Clark said it correctly in the movie "The Wrecking Crew " The general public doesnt really care about who is supporting the main talent.
    This is why guitarists like Alan Holdsworth and Danny Gatton, usually die broke
    And why most people feel Prince or Eric Clapton are the worlds greatest guitarists.
    Has only to do with the song they can relate to.

Rock On Boys!

gmann, John 14:6 and gtrdave like this.
  20. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yup. I don’t see a problem. It pays to think like the owners of bars and pubs. Smaller venues.
    They get in pros, not the huge acts of course, but known regional etc. bands when they can afford it knowing that they will draw a crowd. But they can’t do this all the time, it costs, so to fill in they may have a blues jam and hope the musicians and their friends will come in. Same thing with local amateur bands, most have some kind of following and if their friends and family, plus the regulars and others fill up the place, they make more.

But they still hire the pros. And it seems to me as often as they can...at least regularly.

I have to mention, I’m in Norway, but I’m American and saw the same thing in Chicago area and Bay Area. But that as many years ago.

We often play afternoon blues lunches on saturdays in different bars. We are amateurs but I think we play well, and we’ve been doing it for many years here. We help fill in but really most of the crowd is regulars that know there is music that day and come to hear it. If they have the same acts all the time their draw goes down so they look for new folks but they have to be able to play. And even these small places hire higher echelon pro bands (though honestly I think some of the well known ones still have day jobs.).

Higher than that and they go to bigger places.

drlucky likes this.