Why all the hate for the Fulltone GT-500

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joshbaezmusic, Feb 26, 2012.

1. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

I'm probably lighting the match to start a forest fire right now.. but I'm curious. Why is there so much hate on TGP for the Fulltone GT-500? I own one, and I freaking love it! It's so incredibly versatile and sounds awesome! It can be a light OD, Boost, Distortion, Crunch, even a fuzz at some times!

So please, enlighten me. Why all the hate?

2. dman11

dman11 Member

I had one for a whole and fiddled with the eq forever later realizing it doesn't have the tone I was after. I did love the boost section and what it did to clean guitar.

3. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

when i had mine all that came to mind was 80s metal. I truely wanted to like it i like the brand and the construction of the pedal was real nice. I also enjoy the fact that you can make the boost go before or after the distortion. The whole concept of the wah inductor thing for mids knob really blew my mind but when compared to my other drives... at the time i had OCD v4,dirty little secret v2,bad monkey,musket fuzz, possibly a rat2 at the time can't remember. I had dirt covered.

4. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

I love mine - no hate here - there are a ton of usable shades of drive in the GT 500, but somewhat like a mesa, in that the EQ section is very active and may take some time for people to dial in exactly the way they want. That's not to say it is hard to get a good sound because most of the tones I get from it are good, just that if you have a sound in your head it may take a moment to dial it in, but there is a good chance the sound is in that pedal.

5. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

It is too hard to dial in for most people. I think it is the most versatile overdrive I've owned (out of 500-600 pedals I've owned over the years). The EQ and gain stages can take you from light overdrive to full high gain Marshall tones and sounds good in a band mix, but not as good in your bedroom...hence it is kinda unloved. But it does have its supporters here. The boost side sounds great at 18v as well as lower gain distortion tones. For high gain, I preferred it at 9v.

But again, too complex for the TS clone type people:huh:p

6. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever seen someone even really talk about them on here let alone hate on them

7. piperman

piperman Member

i really like mine. been my main od/dist for the last year. didn't like it at first, but once i tried it at band levels, it was a good match for my fender hrd

8. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Hmm.. maybe I was imagining things. It's just whenever I did a search on it, I've always found people saying how much they disliked the pedal. Good to know there are people out there who love it!

I agree, it is sometimes hard to dial in great tone, but hey, it's a musician's job to find great tone! You can't always have it given to you!

9. thealmightycapo

thealmightycapo Member

I played one for a few gigs and the boost side was always on... it was a great enhancer for my clean sound. However, the distortion side sounded pretty gross to me. I'm a low gain player and couldn't dial down the drive low enough for even a lead tone. The OCD is a little on the scooped side but it sounded middy and gutsy in comparison. Made me want a Fatboost really really bad though!

10. JoeE

JoeE Member

This

11. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I love Fulltone pedals and have three on my pedalboard but I could not get a useful sound out of the GT-500, the distortion just never sounded quite right so I traded it in on a PlimSoul and could not be happier.

12. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Member

Sorry, but where is all this hate you speak of?

13. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Whenever I tried to search for comparisons between this and other pedals, I constantly read people just completely destroying the GT-500.. I don't know, maybe it was on different sites, because obviously there's a lot of love on here!

14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Well, if you searched on previous TGP threads, you might remember that my own initial impression was from one of the first units of the 1st version (the grey one) and it was a bit poor, especially if you take the anticipation into account. I've also played with a red one (2nd version) and it was much better, but still not GAS material. Bear in mind that I like Fulltone and have no disappointment from any of their pedals, including the old Distortion Pro which I liked a lot (apparently very few did). But I was never crazy about the GT500.

15. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I don't hate it, but boy Guitar player mag gave the GT-500 about the most glowing review I have ever read about a dirt pedal( when it first came out years ago)- basically said it produced any kind of OD or distortion tone you could think of...I got a friend of mine to buy this thing based on the GP review and the distortion "channel" was just a disappointment- just fake/processed sounding and did not cut thru in a mix, regardless of the 3-band EQ- and almost $200 at that...not worth it! Just a lot of cheaper, better things out there, IMO

16. stevewids

stevewids Member

I've had the red one for a few years and I have absolutely zero complaints about it. I run it through a basically clean Twin Reverb on the front end of my board and it sounds great!

I'm in a band with (at some times) 2 other guitars playing and always at least have another guitar and keys, bass, drums and I can proudly say it will ALWAYS cut through the mix. I know it's down to preference but for my rock/blues band, it kills it. And with a few guitars and keyboards going at the same time in similar sonic space, I can't imagine life without the independent boost for soloing purposes.