why all the p100 hate?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by warren0728, Aug 8, 2006.

1. warren0728

warren0728 Member

i was wondering why there is so much hate for p100's. I bought a 98 les paul special that has p100's and i think the guitar sounds really good. I would like to keep it stock but i hear how p90's are so superior i was wondering what makes them better?

I'm not a pro and am just curious....what changes will i notice if i switch the p100's to p90's?

thanks,
    ww

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Perhaps post this in the Guitars section...

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

There's a certain "lifelessness" to them. A "sterility" you may not hear until you try a P-90. I had a set of P-100s in a guitar, and I was happy with them- then a friend referred to my guitar as "toneless." I got some P-90s and all of a sudden the guitar's tone seemed to "breathe." It was organic, it didn't feel compressed.

I can see that sound working for some people, but it's not where I'm at anymore.

4. warren0728

warren0728 Member

couldn't decide where to post it and figured since it was more sound oriented i would put it here. Admin is welcome to move it if it is in the wrong place.

5. Raymund

Raymund Member

I agree that sometimes a bridge P-100 sounds decent, but neck P-100´s ??? Eeeek.
    I replaced them with Lollar P-90´s and my Special started to come to life.

6. SFK

SFK Member

Adding P 90s will be like taking the heavy wool blanket off of your amp that you didn't know was there.

7. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

That's the trade off... say good bye to the hum, say hello to the dead tone... it's a question of what you can live with.

8. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I like em.
    And I've played loads of p90's.

9. WordMan

WordMan Member

Why do some folks prefer one type of wine over the other? YOu have to decide is you care enough and are willing to invest the time and $$ to compare and contrast, then make YOUR choice. At least it would be an informed choice, right?

I chose to, took the time, and found P-90's to be superior for all the reasons described above. Your mileage may vary.

10. WordMan

WordMan Member

Oh - one other thing: I may get stuff thrown at me for saying this, but I hear far less of a difference between P-90's and P-100's when the wood they are bolted to stinks. I am one of those that firmly believes that the fundamental tone of a guitar is in the wood, design and build quality of the guitar. If the wood isn't great, the pickups don't have a base tone to amplify that sounds good - and that matters.

You can get into a big debate about whether Old Wood (i.e., 50's Gibsons and Fenders) are truly better - but that is not my point. My point is that good wood, regardless of era, really matters - and that seems to be especially true for P-90's.

So - if I can hear that a P-100 doesn't sound as good as a P-90, it is a safe bet (to me) that the guitar is made of decent wood! Again - your milage may vary...

11. Luke V

Luke V Member

I read somewhere that you can turn a P100 into a great sounding P90. It seemed like a simple mod too.