Why am I getting a crazy hum?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by neu18, Apr 18, 2016.

1. neu18

neu18 Supporting Member

Hello all. After much experimentation I've decided on a particular effect order. But I seem to be getting a crazy hum by doing it.

Here is my chain:

UD Stomp (Left Output)-->Big Sky------------------------------>Lehle Dual SGOS-->JCM 800
    UD Stomp (Right Output)--> Bigsky-->Deluxe Memory Man-->Lehle Dual SGOS-->JMI 30/4 (Hums like crazy)

Maybe it's the power supply on the UD stomp? It's not the original supply.

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well I was going to say ground loop hum but looks like Lehle has isolation as a full time feature. Have you read manual, maybe you have to enable a ground lift.

Are both amps plugged into a common filtered power strip/supply? I.E., both on the same wall socket? Is ground intact and functioning on that wall socket?

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Do some troubleshooting.

Start with just the UD into both amps (this will and should hum), then add the Lehle, which should technically stop the hum. Add one component at the time.