1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why am I suddenly in love with single-coils?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SFW, May 17, 2011.

1. SFW

SFW Member

I've been a diehard humbucker guy for over twenty years now. Mainly playing rock and hard rock songs for most of that time, with a few stints in jazz/blues bands. Here lately I have developed this obsession with teles and strats. Suddenly single-coil based guitars are sounding really good to me. They suddenly feel good under my fingers. I've even managed to work some tele into my hard rock band. I hate the noise, but have fallen in love with their tones.

I just don't get it... I'm not fighting it, but I just don't get it... :)

2. picknpluck

picknpluck Member

Single coils have an expressiveness that I think is lacking in humbuckers. Nothing wrong with humbuckers, mind you--I LOVE the tones I get out of my Les Paul, but there are sounds I can get out of my Strat and Tele that I can't get from the LP.

BTW, there's ALWAYS room for a Tele in hard rock!

3. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

it took you long enough to figure it out ... but welcome to the club. single coils have more character and are where its at. from p90s grit, to a tele bridge spank and twang, to a strat's out of phase quack, or the smooth bell-like chime of a strat neck position. they can be brittle, sparkle, strident... but best of all, they cut straight trough a band's mix live better than almost any humbucker can...

and yes, they are tempermental and noisy... but so are women and i have learned to live with them too

4. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

Amen to that. I'm a rocker guy and I've only ever loved humbuckers for years, but now with a few strats and teles, it seems as if those pickups open doors for tonality that humbuckers can't touch. I don't think you can beat them clean.

5. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

I have a pricey PRS & 335 that almost go unplayed because, well, SCs are....zesty.

6. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

You can do most anything with either pickup depending on your rig. I really keep thinking I don't like p90s and then I play them and despite the noise they are great with tons of character.

7. Sandy Cheeks

Sandy Cheeks Senior Member

Now might be a good time to mention polarity issues. :rotflmao

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  8. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I was the same way - preferred humbuckers for a long time and got increasingly into single coils. Maybe it has something to do with becoming a better player. Single coils are more revealing than humbuckers of good and bad aspects of your playing.

9. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Don't worry about it. People get hard of hearing as they get older <*HAH! WHUDJA SAY?*> and start looking at teles in particular as if they were real guitars. Your treble response goes, humbuckers start sounding muffled, you start voting for really old guys ("he didn't look that old to ME") and hot chicks from Alaska and you start reading all the articles about Alzheimers, 401K rollovers and stem cell research. Enjoy your single coils, don't play around anyone under 35 (you'll stunt their growth) and don't let any of the soaking compound for your teeth get on your hearing aid or reading glasses.

10. terrapin

terrapin Member

UHHHH....Your hearing problem is cured? You grew up??? You decided to get the good stuff? Could be alot of reasons, but the main thing is CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

love p90's so much... argh... it's ****ing awesome

12. jamdogg

jamdogg Member

Its a temporary condition. ;)

13. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

as you get more deaf you need more treble....single coil pickups have more treble!
    Just kidding!

I love both but SCs have an expressive quality and snap that is hard to get from a 'bucker.

I still like bridge humbuckers for bring the rock and hi gain applications of course.

14. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

i have a similar tale like many. single coils make you work harder but it seems like they reveal who you are as a player. i still haven't given up my metal / hard rock ways but i seem to get more out of it using my strat.

15. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

this. singles made me become a better player... i feel like i can so many more sounds... and i sound more like "me."

16. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

single coils have more dynamics and more clarity. Good ones have quite a bit of girth as well

17. choucas09

choucas09 Member

HB's, P90's and SC's, love em all.

18. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Member

I love the clarity of single coil pickups, it's easier for me to get "expressive" tones from them than it is on humbuckers...
    Variety is the spice of life, enjoy them both.

19. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

This took me about ten years to figure out. I prefer:

- single coils over humbuckers
    - 25-1/2" to 24-3/4" scale length
    - 6L6, 6V6 amps to EL34, EL84 amps

20. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

I guess I'll state the obvious: they sound better. :banana