Why are 80’s pedals not true bypass?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bertramladner, Jun 2, 2018.

1. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

The Pt9 sounds so good, bummed I can’t run it in front of the Sunface. Who can mod to TBP and get rid of the white noise?

2. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

The good news is, you can! Start hanging out at the DIY forums (diystompboxes.com), you should be able to find the answers you need there with less hyperbole from people who are unlikely to help you (what happens here). :)

3. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

The 7 series we owned at the time did have em

5. Riffa

Riffa Member

Why don't you just run it through a TB looper?

6. bertramladner

I don’t know that I’m ready to dig into that level of pedal mania. I just play at home. Loopers are beyond my scope currently

7. Riffa

Riffa Member

If you insist that your phaser be in front of your fuzz, I believe it's already too late lol.

8. Mr2D

Mr2D Member

I'm guessing you probably already know, but as this would be a pretty simple solution to your problem, I'm just making sure you know there are two sorts of loopers.

1. True Bypass Looper - in it's simplest form they are a stomp switch connected to 4 jacks on the side of the pedal. You plug your guitar into the bottom right jack, run the bottom left jack to your amp/next pedal/etc. The two top jacks go to the in & out of your pedal. When the looper is on, your signal runs through the pedal. When the looper is off, the pedal is out of your signal chain completely. This removes the buffer from being in front of your fuzz and should fix the issue you're having in a pretty simple way that required no modification of your existing pedal. TB loopers can get way more complicated, with many loops, midi controllability, signal rerouting etc., but at their heart, they are pretty simple devices. This is what @Riffa is talking about.

2. Phrase Loopers - This is the one where you play into it, you stamp at the start, stamp at the end and it plays what you just played again and again for you to noodle over.

9. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

I know. How did we survive without true bypass?

10. bertramladner

No, I know a lot about pedals, I just don’t want to start spending on non pedal thingy stuff.

Mr2D likes this.