Why are bandmasters so cheap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by coltranemi2012, Mar 3, 2012.

1. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Supporting Member

Hi I noticed Bandmaster sometimes sell for $500...and this is like 65 and 66 blackface amps! Why are they so cheap compared to Twins/Deluxe etc? Is it cause they sound worse or they just never got the fame?

2. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

They get plenty of fame. The current gear market is in the toilet.

3. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

Mine sound great. If you can find them for that price its a real bargain.

I recently bought a 65 in great shape for $600 and an early 64 for $800 (heads only) and i thought they were both really good deals.

4. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I've tried to sell my '66 BM w/cab several times and I have gotten no serious replies. Great amps. A friend of mine took a BM chassis and made a nice 2-10 combo. Killer amp. I am now thinking about doing the same thing. I have never gigged with my BM because I just don't need that much power.
    The market is down for lots of musical stuff right now. Hope it will recover.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  5. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Wish I had the dough to swing a couple
    No reverb makes them less popular
    Shame. Great sounding amps
    I'd love to have one set up in a 2/10 combo!!!

6. DanR

DanR Member

Here's my '67. I got it cheap cuz the chassis was in a Deluxe Reverb cab. I was gonna convert a Bandmaster (or maybe a Bassman) into a 1 X 12 combo anyhow, so I made out pretty well. It's a perfect (for me) gigging amp. It has just enough power, isn't too heavy and sounds great. It takes pedals very well and I usually mated it with an additional 1 X 12 extension speaker cab.

[​IMG]

7. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I got mine for under $650 shipped from a retailer last year. It is a 65 I think, all original, but no back panel. If I were to sell it now I am sure I would take a bit of a hit on it, but not too much. Not sure why they are not as expensive as others, but sure sound good.

8. chervokas

chervokas Member

In general those non-reverb BF piggybacks aren't in as high demand because I think people like the reverb amps both because of the reverb and because those amps have an extra triode gain stage compared with the single gain stage of the Bandmaster. The Bandmaster is also stiffer and less saggy than say a very similar Tremolux which has tube rectification and lower output tube plate voltages. But they're very good amps especially for clean tones.

9. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Fender amp fans are typically looking for combos, I mean look how many in this thread have talked about putting the Bandmaster in a combo cab. Also as was already mentioned the BF Bandmaster heads don't have reverb.

In general the Fender amp heads go for less than the combos and are bargains by comparison.

10. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

So A Bandmaster has a better "Fender" clean tone

I looked at a 3x10 combo(head turned into) someone has up for sale for 650 when my friend was looking for a Super Reverb that thing was tempting me

11. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Ignorance - willful or otherwise - plays an enormous role in determining what's "popular" at any point in time.

And this applies to much more than musical gear... ;)

12. zenas

zenas Member

I got a 65 BM and the cab for 800 bucks not the best deal ever but not bad. Thay are fine amps and I like the old blackfaced era cabs.
    The cabs are the hard thing to find.
    There almost like footswitches. Where did thay all go ?

13. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

Never got to play one what do these sound like on ten? Do they have a nice breakup? EVH used one for years as his home amp but it was on ten as usual!:omg:D

14. RSRD

RSRD Member

Great thread. I often wonder this myself. I had a bandmaster 8 years ago and really loved it. Been thinking about revisting it.

Does the BM have tremolo?

15. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Bandmaster, especially a sf, on ten is sort of missing the sweet spot. Fom 4-7 is where they shine IMHO.

16. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Despite conventional wisdom, i find this true of almost all tube amps.

17. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

18. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

I just sold a '65 original head and original cab/speakers for $850...I see many people trying to get over a grand for the set.. I had no luck with it. Only had one other person who offered me $900..months before. I think it's the reverb thing.

19. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

• no reverb
    • one less gain stage then reverb fenders
    • not a combo
    • tiny output transformer

I used to see stacks of 3-4 at local stores going for under $400. I played them but never preferred their sound to ANY other fender. Market reflects that.

20. Radspin

Radspin Member

Well, I have a '64 BF head and love the sound of it both clean and cranked (better with humbuckers than single coils). It's darker-sounding than many BF amps but I like this. As far as reverb is concerned, I use it with a Hermida Reverb and use to use it with an EH Holy Grail and it sounds wonderful with these pedals.

The prices of vintage amps won't stay flat forever...they only made so many of them. I remember all through high school and college (from the late '60s through the late '70s) and into the '80s you'd see BF Bandmaster and Bassman heads for $125 - $150 and Fender combos were cheap used (you could get BF an SF Princeton Reverbs for $100) and thinking they'd HAVE to go up someday...watch, in 2020 we'll be talking about the days you could get a BF Bandmaster head for less than $1,500.