Why are BF Pro Reverbs so cheap (compared to other BF amps)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ATL Strat, Jun 6, 2008.

1. ATL Strat

ATL Strat Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up a '66 BF Pro Reverb for a lot less than you could buy a BF Princeton Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, or Deluxe Reverb. It came in yesterday and I think it sounds as good, if not better, than my BF DR and PR. Question, why are Pro Reverbs going for so much less than the other BF Fender amps? Are these the real BF bargains right now?

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

They are great amps and are really a bargain.

I think that their one liability is weight. They weigh in at 55 LBS and that can be a hang, so most want the lighter amps like the Deluxe for grab and go. They're also the "break point"- where it goes into overdrive relative to your drummer. Folks like the Deluxe for when it breaks relative to drummers I guess. I love them both, but I'm keeping my Pro. I tell folks it's just a 1/2 a twin with a tube rectifier, but with two speakers. Great features.

The other thing is celebrity use... that always has an impact on price.

Cheers,

JD

3. mude

mude Supporting Member

A good Pro Reverb is fantastic IMO. Sometimes, you really can find them for a bargain. I think part of it is there may be a trend toward the smaller more portable amps - particularly for the type of people that can afford and tend to buy vintage stuff perhaps. The early breakup of the the other models mentioned above also makes sense.

Evan.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up a '66 Pro Reverb in real clean condition. The speakers are mismatched Fender Oxfords from '71 and '77.I've read some good thing about the Jensen Neo's and plan to install a pair to bring down the weight.

5. Tomo

Tomo Member

Great amp!

That's ok that it's good price. I love Pro Reverb!

Tomo

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

I loves me my 68 Pro. I softened it up some with a 5U4 rectifier and .033 caps in the tonestack. Dime it and dial it down a smidge with an attenuator and it's mighty.

7. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

Completely underrated amplifier. They just freakin' sing.

I'm toying with dropping a pair of neos in mine to bring the weight down a bit - but, either way, I love the sound of this amp.

Cheers,
    Cowboy

8. riker4208

riker4208 Member

It's weird, I had a blackface pro that had a correctly replace merc. magnetics output tranny. I could just never get that amp to sound right, even with tube/bias/some caps. I sold it and bought a deluxe and I realized how different they really are. Vast.
    Makes me wonder if the replaced tranny was throwing it off. I also disagree that the pro is a baby twin. Those amps sound as different as can be. The solid state rectifier makes the twin sound way different.

9. 585960

585960 Member

BF Pro Revs, are awesome, especially with D 120s.

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

I would keep all original parts. Exept some cap change.

Go for good N.O.S. Tubes. You can hear huge difference and it lasts forever!

For me, it's best 2 12s combo. Speakers can change better sound too.

What a great amp!

Tomo

11. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Just to be clear...I wasn't saying it's a baby twin- But it does have a lot of similarities...

It's the same size cab, same speaker size, same basic layout- minus the middle control (I like no middle control on BFs BTW).

Difference? Tube rectifier 1/2 the power.

I LOVE the tube rectifier... it's the saving grace of the amp to me actually. I don't like twins or SS rectifiers very much, and sold my 66 Twin to get my Pro. I like the fact that it'll stay clean right up to the perfect place relative to a hard hitting drummer, or you can crank it and use the volume to get to the cleans and get really bluesy dirt by turning up the guitar.

Big Pro Reverb fan here-

JD

12. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hey Jack,

It's interesting. I understood what you said about... English speaking people even took wrong way.

I love Tube rectifier too. RCA, Mullard... Phillips...

Tomo

13. doctorx

doctorx Member

:AOK

Something else the Pro has over the smaller amps is a lot smoother and thicker low end and lower mids. I recommend trying the .022 or .033 cap in the tone stack instead of the .047, it helps with that.

Plus, personally, I just don't like 6V6's.

Yes it's a hefty mother but I put up with it.

14. swangdb

swangdb Member

Five years ago I bought a beat up Silverface Pro Reverb for $400 in Phenix City, AL. It seemed underpowered and sounded a little dull. I played a few gigs with it and mostly stopped using it.

About three years later I sent it to Lord Valve. He installed a bassman transformer, blackfaced it, replaced old caps and disconnected the master volume. I also bought new new tubes from him. When I finally got it back (he kept it over a year!), the amp sounded much better.

I tell people it's my half-power Twin but it really sounds more like a 2x12 Super Reverb. Sort of. Maybe. With a little bassman thrown in.

I used the amp at a wedding reception last month and it sounded good though from time to time I didn't think it had enough "note separation" (for want of a better term) at high volumes. The Fender/Oxford speakers appeared to be the originals which would make them at least 30 years old and I ordered two Weber 12s Alnico speakers. These are 25w speakers and they sound very good. They break up a little faster than the original speakers but the "note separation" is much improved.

I'm taking it to my first gig with the new speakers this weekend.

Pro Reverbs are good amps and for years they have been a bargain. Lately they've been inching up in price on eBay. Not long after I bought my amp I visited Highland Music in Birmingham, AL and they had several Pro Reverbs (Black and Silverface) all for well under $1000 each. I didn't buy another one but sometimes I wish I had. Come to think of it they had a wall of old Fender amps for sale then. Maybe it's time to go back...

15. acoustic567

acoustic567 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on replacing the stock transformer (keeping it, of course) with a bassman-style transformer.

I too have wondered why Pro Reverbs don't get quite the love that the other BF amps do on the market. They're a little heavy, but I think they may be the most versatile of the BFs as well.

16. JDJ

JDJ Member

This thread would be better with a photo or two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]