Why are bridge single coils mounted slanted at an angle?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Buck Woodson, Jan 9, 2020.

1. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I always thought it was because leo was hard of hearing and favored bright sounds over low tones simply because he could hear those frequencies better.

2. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Now there's an idea for a new pedal... :D

r

3. badger51

badger51 Member

Former Fender custom shop luthier John Page makes his guitar lines with the single coil bridge pickups slanted the other way. Even in his T-style looks. It does make sense to me but I have never played or heard a guitar with this layout

4. spencer096

spencer096 Member

hearing loss typically impacts high frequencies first...best musical example being beethoven progressively favoring the lower registers the older he became, which was a huge shift in terms of composition for the era. not saying leo didn't have low frequency hearing loss, just that it's not as common as losing the high frequencies first.

i honestly have no idea what im trying to say here and dont know why im typing.

5. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

And playing a strat through a tweed amp really shows this to be true. I have a 5e3 clone I built, the bridge certainly isn't an issue with too bright.

Also, I've measured my strat and tele bridge pickups, the strat is more angled than the tele.

6. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I don't know, the K&F had a straight pickup (string through). The console ones had a string through with a trapizoid pickup, but the later ones have 2 straight pickups. I have an early '57 stringmaster, the pickups aren't slanted.
    Yea, I bet he angled the pickup on the champ lapsteels probably because he liked how it sounded and carried that over, because of the sound. I think it was more that than just esthetic. It certainly wasn't a trademark look, there are other Fenders with straight pickups from the Leo era.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  7. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Leo was not hard of hearing.. He was stone cold Tone Deaf... it would make Freddie Tavares crazy.. His station was just outside Leo's "lab".. Leo would have a dummy guitar made up with the strings to test pickups... but since he was tone deaf, he could not tune it.. when he strummed it it was just a cacophony of dissonant noise..

Freddy would sneak in and tune it to an open chord, so at least it wouldn't scare small kids when Leo strummed..

r

Sam Hill, shane8, HERSCHEL and 2 others like this.
  8. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Member

If TGP were a more honest place, every post would end with this sort of disclaimer.

9. musicman1

musicman1 Member

i was pretty sure i read an article on george fullerton after he passed and George said that the gtrs were voiced so brightly because thats what leo heard best. Maybe im wrong lol idk.

spencer096 likes this.
  10. Leader Desslok

Leader Desslok Member

It's a theoretical unit of tonal energy defined by "Ed's Equation," named after an early pioneer in the field. There are many theories as to the origin of "toanez" -- some believe the fingers to be the primary seat of "toanez," while others believe that "big iron," "NOS tubes," or "vintage specs" contain the mysterious essence.

11. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Yes, there was a 50/50 chance and Leo guessed wrong

shane8 likes this.
  12. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

Dad Rock version of brewtal gainz.

shane8 likes this.
  13. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I always thought it should be reversed as well, but I I bought a Hendrix style Strat for righty players. The reverse works great for fuzz/high gain; the bottom is nice and tight and the top is warm.

Played clean the reverse angle it thin on the bottom strings IMHO.

14. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

John Page has corrected it in his guitars:
    [​IMG]

haslar likes this.