Why are Fender Customshop stratocaster necks too wide?

Morgan24

Do not understand why Fender Customshop make there stratocaster necks too wide compared to vintage. Even all there copies of 50ies and 60ies are to wide. Why why why this is weird.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
which ones are you talking about specifically? Thats EXACTLY what I've been looking for! LOL! Different strokes .....

Shooter Bob

Yup, they do seem to vary quite a bit. Just gotta get out there and play 'em. The thrill of the hunt! Love it!

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, they do seem to vary quite a bit. Just gotta get out there and play 'em. The thrill of the hunt! Love it!

ya gotta have hunting grounds to hunt! I live in the sticks and any store that carries a half decent inventory is a few hours away so I'm left with internet searches and great return policies....it SUCKS but it is what it is.

johnfv

Plenty of places to get Fender style necks made to your exact specs. I'm a big fan of Warmoth.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
Plenty of places to get Fender style necks made to your exact specs. I'm a big fan of Warmoth.

this is the route i've gone a few times but it'd be nice to just be able to buy a guitar and be done with it

Morgan24

But why make a guitar called 69' and then make the neck 1-2mm too wide compared to any vintage 69' it just doesnt make any sense? It changes the guitar so much?

johnfv

Those us of that prefer "vintage" width seem to be a minority these days. I like some thickness but a more vintage width (1-11/16" at most). Warmoth 59 Roundback profile with 1-5/8" width is about perfect for me.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
But why make a guitar called 69' and then make the neck 1-2mm too wide compared to any vintage 69' it just doesnt make any sense? It changes the guitar so much?

seriously, which guitar are you talking about? I'd love to take a look at it

Morgan24

But I think the customshop call there guitars 56, 57, 61, 62,, 69 and so on due to the demand for these specific vintage specs and prices.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I've seen, played and owned both Vintage Spec necks, (7.25), and Modern Spec, (9.5, 10, & 12), on Fender Custom Shop guitars. However, the Modern Spec size covers about 90% of the guitars they make for general consumption to accommodate the evolution of playing style.

You can Spec out and order a Custom Shop with a Vintage Radius and fret wire too.

Flyin' Brian

ya gotta have hunting grounds to hunt! I live in the sticks and any store that carries a half decent inventory is a few hours away so I'm left with internet searches and great return policies....it SUCKS but it is what it is.

I'm not picking on ya, but I never understood this argument.

If I wanted to buy a guitar and spend a significant amount of money and lived where you do, I'd make some phone calls, find a place that had a good selection, get in my car, make a day of it and go to the store or stores. You're less than an hour to Winston Salem, an hour from Greensboro, a couple of hours from Raleigh and Charlotte.

Doesn't sound like you're stuck to me.

Morgan24

You can get a vintage strat with jumbo fret and you can get a vintage strat with a changed radius but you cant get a vintage guitar with a wider width. So who at the customshop came up with the idea to do something like this? Making the string separation bigger changes the feel of a guitar very much and why not just make a few models with the correct width?

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not picking on ya, but I never understood this argument.

If I wanted to buy a guitar and spend a significant amount of money and lived where you do, I'd make some phone calls, find a place that had a good selection, get in my car, make a day of it and go to the store or stores. You're less than an hour to Winston Salem, an hour from Greensboro, a couple of hours from Raleigh and Charlotte.

Doesn't sound like you're stuck to me.

I do call and visit those stores when I get the chance (between my career, my family and grad school those chances are far and few between) If I'm looking for a guitar thats pretty standard or generic, I wont even call first, I'll just hop in the car and go...I enjoy taking a day to do this for fun regardless if I'm looking to buy anything or not. I start to run into problems and frustration when I'm looking for something specific brand-wise or spec wise. In my search for my ideal Fender strat (modern string spacing 2 1/8, wider nut width 1 11/16, chunky neck profile, vintage colors) I've only come up empty handed and frustrated. I don't really think its any fault of the stores that I call/visit...I think the guitar I'm looking for may not exist outside the realm of Fender Custom Shop and even then, there's not a lot of stores that carry an abundance of CS models. I'm also a big PRS fan...even in the larger cities you mentioned (thanks for the geography lesson BTW ;)) theres not many stores that regularly stock a lot US models so once again, online options are my best option. Maybe I'm just too damn picky! LOL! :D

Flyin' Brian

I do call and visit those stores when I get the chance (between my career, my family and grad school those chances are far and few between) If I'm looking for a guitar thats pretty standard or generic, I wont even call first, I'll just hop in the car and go...I enjoy taking a day to do this for fun regardless if I'm looking to buy anything or not. I start to run into problems and frustration when I'm looking for something specific brand-wise or spec wise. In my search for my ideal Fender strat (modern string spacing 2 1/8, wider nut width 1 11/16, chunky neck profile, vintage colors) I've only come up empty handed and frustrated. I don't really think its any fault of the stores that I call/visit...I think the guitar I'm looking for may not exist outside the realm of Fender Custom Shop and even then, there's not a lot of stores that carry an abundance of CS models. I'm also a big PRS fan...even in the larger cities you mentioned (thanks for the geography lesson BTW ;)) theres not many stores that regularly stock a lot US models so once again, online options are my best option. Maybe I'm just too damn picky! LOL! :D

We all suffer from that for sure.

DStout

Have you thought about a Tom Anderson Classic (or a Suhr) with the right specs? Great examples do pop up in the emporium. I bought a great Anderson Classic with a 1-11/16" chunky neck in olympic white used for less than a Custom Shop Fender.

JB6464

Those us of that prefer "vintage" width seem to be a minority these days. I like some thickness but a more vintage width (1-11/16" at most). Warmoth 59 Roundback profile with 1-5/8" width is about perfect for me.

Warmoth makes some great strat necks.
I like their 59 roundback straight radius with a 1 3/4" width nut.
A 1 5/8" width nut is like playing a pencil to me , lol.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom