Why are Fender Jaguars so heavy?

still.ill

I guess I've been spoiled a bit as all my 3 electrics JM/Strat/Les Paul are 7.8 pounds... but I tested a couple Jags in GC today and they all felt north of 8.5+. On average they felt heavier than the Jazzmasters/Strats/Teles. But the body is shorter scale at 24 inches.. weird

still.ill

Same reason as me: short neck but heavy body.

Side by side, my Jaguar is taller than my strat. It looks like the jaguar body is bigger than a strat. There’s a lot of real estate south of the bridge.
that makes sense, but why would they also be heavier than jazzmasters which also have the offset body?

Ron Kirn

Gold Supporting Member
Vendor
actually, if aI recall my Physics class... only the heavy ones are heavy, whereas the light ones aren't . . . and those that are somewhere in the middle, are there in the middle... :p am I smart or what??

Actually, it'a all in the wood, and the wood chosen.. it's that easy. If comparing to a JM, there is more wood removed when routing the cavities on a JM...

Ron Kirn

tealsixtysix

It's all that fancy chrome.

(Seriously, I haven't noticed this. I spent some time with a 1965 Jaguar recently and if anything, it was a little lighter than my 1966 Jazzmaster, which is right around 8 lb.)

Angstwulf

actually, if aI recall my Physics class... only the heavy ones are heavy, whereas the light ones aren't . . . and those that are somewhere in the middle, are there in the middle... :p am I smart or what??

Actually, it'a all in the wood, and the wood chosen.. it's that easy. If comparing to a JM, there is more wood removed when routing the cavities on a JM...

Ron Kirn
That makes more sense than than mine which was motivated by my being at work and stuck in hurry up and wait mode.

My Jaguar is much heavier than my mid80’s Japanese strat. From what I’ve read, the Squier’s are basswood and the Japanese Strats of that era were alder/ash so that could account for a bit. At least for my massive collection.

But yeah, maybe go to GC, pick up all the Strats or Teles or whatever and there will probably be a lot of variations in weight. Doubt there are enough offset guitars in any but the largest stores to be able to make the same comparison.

mikebat

Without trying to insult the Jag fans among us, could it be that the Jag is a budget conscious model, and being that, they don't use the lightest pieces of ash/alder, reserving those for guitars further up the food chain?

Whitecat

Without trying to insult the Jag fans among us, could it be that the Jag is a budget conscious model, and being that, they don't use the lightest pieces of ash/alder, reserving those for guitars further up the food chain?
The prices of the American Pro and the recently-discontinued AVRIs were up there with anything else. So if it’s about current Jaguars, I’d imagine they just pull wood off the pile at random...

Last edited:

tealsixtysix

The Jag was originally the top-of-the-line Fender guitar. Still is, in the American Original range, at least in terms of price.

27sauce

I thought jags were up/near the top of the food chain?

Bossanova

Silver Supporting Member
It’s the wood chosen for the guitars. You can get a replacement lightweight body finished in whatever you want if it’s an issue. For me, 9lbs is the limit, but love to keep it under 8.5 for any guitar

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Supporting Member
I've noticed this too. My MIM Jazzmaster is very lightweight and comfortable, but Johnny Marr Jaguars feel like bricks.
Funny you should say that- my Marr Jag is my heaviest guitar, but at 8.5lbs it's not an anchor.