why are fuzz pedals so expensive?

mwvm

relative to other pedals....

i'd guess they'd would generally be the most profitable pedal as the the bill of material costs can't be that high surely?

clothwiring

I've been looking for one recently, finally went to General Guitar Gadgets and bought a kit. I figure I saved myself about $90 bucks over the one I was looking at.

roshjosh

As far as a lot of other effect circuits are concerned - They're often times extremely simple too...

Hooya

As far as a lot of other effect circuits are concerned - They're often times extremely simple too...
Simple on paper, but to get a Fuzz to really sound GOOD and react properly you go through a lot of transistors to get exactly the right values, matched with just the right values and types of the other parts.

Just try to make a Fuzz on your own, you'll see, they don't always come out as expected.

mwvm

i often can't justify the price of 2 transistors, a couple of cap and some resistors...

though i do own a mxr 108 classic fuzz but paid 2nd hand price...

>£100 for a fuzz just seems extreme for what you really get

gold_soundz

I don't think pedal prices are determined mainly by the cost of the components.

That said, fuzz pedals often capture the sounds of previous decades, which can appeal to older players who may have more disposable income.

midwayfair

You're usually paying for the extra time spent.

That goes beyond just the time spent tuning the pedal that Aaron mentioned. It's also time consuming to locate, buy, and test obsolete or rare components.

There are many, many effects of all sorts that have abusive pricing schemes. It goes way beyond fuzzes. A good builder will charge what is fair for their time.

MilesMitchell

I didn't think fuzz pedals are that expensive...My mjm fuzz was $100, my early reissue nyc big muff was only $90, smitty comprade was $120 and even the big green pi by Aaron (which is my new favorite) was only $160. Fuzz is my main weapon though, I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for it. I look at delay pedals like the Diamond ML or JHS Panther and I would NEVER pay that much for those pedals, no matter how amazing. Different strokes I guess on what defines "expensive".

jul.brown90

A Rolex costs 150€ to build. They sell for 20x more and nobody seems to complain they cost too much.

The pedal builders need to make a living, man ! Who cares how much they pay for the components, as long as you enjoy your pedal !

aT19er

Simple on paper, but to get a Fuzz to really sound GOOD and react properly you go through a lot of transistors to get exactly the right values, matched with just the right values and types of the other parts.

Just try to make a Fuzz on your own, you'll see, they don't always come out as expected.
^^ For sure! I tried to make a fuzz pedal based on an Arbiter Fuzz Face and man... it was nothing like a Fuzz Face.. The pixie dust is worth it!

mwvm

are folks trying to say putting a transistor trough a ebc test timely? who are people trying to kid?

also, muffs are a different beast although. i'm specifically talking about fuzz faces

A Rolex costs 150€ to build. They sell for 20x more and nobody seems to complain they cost too much.

The pedal builders need to make a living, man ! Who cares how much they pay for the components, as long as you enjoy your pedal !
i'm just curious... and actually i care. on that analogy i'd pay more for everything.

ARC Effects

Not at all but testing a few hundred or thousand (depending on the amount needed) can be.

Also, in the case of germanium devices, you have to account for unusable loss somewhere. I've had some batches of germs have a 15% or less yield or 85% or more be completely unusable unless I want to make a slew of germanium buffers ala Jack Orman.

pdodge77

Silver Supporting Member
Don't forget supply and demand. If you're dealing with NOS transistors - the less that are left, the more expensive they are.

quinnamps

Anyone who has tested and matched 3000 transistors to find that they have about 300 pairs that fall within the truly great sounding specs can tell you why they cost so much.

Seriously any two transistors can make a fuzz... but if your shooting for a great sounding fuzz it takes a bit more work. When you want to make a 100 fuzz that all sound great.. it takes a LOT of PITA work and sorting and rejecting parts that do not fall within you spec. Sometimes your paying for what is NOT in your pedal as much as what is...

On a totally unrelated note anyone want to buy 2400 transistors?

I still remember when Arion effects pedals were considered cheap. What are they now? I've always bought Boss. OCD is a great pedal, but it sounds just like my Mesa, so I'd only need one if I was playing NOT through a Mesa!

Anyone who has tested and matched 3000 transistors to find that they have about 300 pairs that fall within the truly great sounding specs can tell you why they cost so much.

Seriously any two transistors can make a fuzz... but if your shooting for a great sounding fuzz it takes a bit more work. When you want to make a 100 fuzz that all sound great.. it takes a LOT of PITA work and sorting and rejecting parts that do not fall within you spec. Sometimes your paying for what is NOT in your pedal as much as what is...

Maybe you can explain why run of the mill tubescreamer clones are just as expensive then. Are they making the chips from SRV's dried man juice or something?

I get that people will charge what people will pay but there is a line where it is just freaking stupid. The bubble is going to burst on this very soon I think. Its just out of control.

mwvm

a 90% "failure" rate seems a little high to this cynic.

also, nos transistors.... i suppose but how much of that is hype?

Trending Topics