why are guitar amps so ugly?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by marvin cobain, Jul 31, 2020 at 11:17 AM.

1. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I like the art on pedals thing but it’s really rare to find one I like.

The ones I do like I really love and keep just for that as I rarely use pedals outside of a wah.

FOTM704 likes this.
  2. 850Special

850Special Member

DeadLazy and sandcastle like this.
  3. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i like the way my amps look, and love how they respond, feel, sound (live) and record. they do not look like fine home furniture.
    i've had some furniture-style amps that looked nice, too, but my amps are not furniture..... so i don't care for them to look like that, esp. when it means not just caring for and maintaining them normally, but really needing to somehow "baby" them.
    (indeed, i still have a furniture-style 2x12 cabinet, but it took great effort to convince the cabinet-maker to only oil-rub-finish it; it's worn & scarred, like me, but still works.)

each to their own.

Ry@n likes this.
  4. Ry@n

Ry@n Member

I don’t care about coordination with furniture, either, but I still like for something to look nice if nice-looking is available. Sound and feel come first, of course, but there are good-sounding and unoffensive-looking, even beautiful, amps available.

My guitar stuff lives in my office, and, other than my desk, the amps kind of are the furniture. But I do kind of get where OP is coming from (even though I don’t necessarily agree with what qualifies as “ugly” in a guitar amp, or in hi-fi/desktop speakers, for that matter...).

5. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

Partially maybe as when we play amp are generally behind us, out of sight, plus I don't think the crowd cares a bit about your gear, so there's that, so why spend too much money on making them purty?

6. bigeric

bigeric Member

7. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

8. Ry@n

Ry@n Member

Ha... I disagree with most of their picks, though I wouldn’t reject any of these just based on their appearance. Really only the Morgan is something I would call particularly good-looking in that list (though EF86 in a combo seems risky, to me, so I’d take the head and cab), and the Magnatone certainly has its charm... Dr. Z could probably win me over if they ditched the huge sloppy-handwriting-look names on the front of their amps. I could definitely live with a Revv, visually, if I was more into the industrial/toolbox look, but I do think they are overall clean and unoffensive (and seem to be highly functional, if you need the functions it offers).

Obviously all of that is subjective, and the point of that article is just to say “hey, not all amps are just boring black boxes” while trying to move some of their boutique and FSR offerings.

9. Yooper

Yooper Member

Ah, the gate. Space is the place, and the gate is the passage from one space to the other one.

10. MiniMig

MiniMig Member

Gotta say - ya need new furniture! LOL!

11. Ry@n

Ry@n Member

I think it’s about visually appealing proportions. When you put a head on top of a cabinet, you often end up with a visual division in which about 1/3 or 1/4 of the height of the setup is one piece, then 2/3 or 3/4 is the other piece. In a combo, you don’t often get that division of thirds or quarters. You get one block (which I actually do like), or you get a relatively thin strip of knobs, switches, and jacks interrupting the top portion of that block.

This is a visual arts concept that my art-educated wife knows way more about, but I like to think I learn a thing or two from her now and then.

DeadLazy likes this.
  12. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Hey, Think how many Naugas were killed just to cover your amp! You should be ashamed .

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    Ry@n and Leader Desslok like this.
  13. Shelldigger

Shelldigger Member

Yeah, I get the feeling clickbaity stuff is more a feature than a bug. Then I went and clicked.

14. Nsomniac

Nsomniac Supporting Member

I don't know why starting a conversation about amp aesthetics in the amp forum of The Gear Page would be seen as so out of bounds and be such a trigger.

I think it's an interesting question and have enjoyed reading the thread.

pete12string and Ry@n like this.
  15. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

yep had a tan custom vibrolux reverb that looked great in the living room.

16. middy

middy Member

I guess most of us just have a different aesthetic than you do. I happen to like the 50s and 60s look and think the acoustic amps you use as an example are ugly.
    I think a blackface Fender Twin Reverb fits right in to most living rooms.

Emigre likes this.
  17. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Consider yourself lucky.

18. marvin cobain

marvin cobain Member

now I'm curious!

19. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Member

Try covering one yourself. Then you get what you want and like.

Examples:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]