why are guitar amps so ugly?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by marvin cobain, Jul 31, 2020 at 11:17 AM.

1. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

If many of you are lounge-room players and your wives want your amp to match the furniture, there's a market gap right there.

I'm going to design and market a range of tasteful couches with the amp controls on an armrest, speakers and amp built in under the seat. Feel those bass notes!

Couches will range from a modified Ikea pack with 20W Roland Cube up to hand-built Louis XIV cabinetry style with 100W Dumble.

SimAlex, Nsomniac, 71strat and 2 others like this.
  2. paulkogut

paulkogut Member

Not sure if these came up earlier in the thread, but I played through some Humphrey amps some years back , doing concerts at the GAL, Healdsburg etc. http://www.humphreyamps.com/home.html

PK

71strat likes this.
  3. Christopher Ramirez

Christopher Ramirez Member

I don't have one but Morgan amps look quite charming

4. Maggie_O

Maggie_O Supporting Member

What's weird is how this went from a discussion of amp aesthetics, to a discussion if straight guys' wives will let them have an amp inside the house.

TGP is weird, I guess. It's the cargo shorts, right? (Speaking of unspeakably ugly.)

5. Ry@n

Ry@n Member

...which is good, because moving those things around sucks! :eek:

Jtoomuch likes this.
  6. Ry@n

Ry@n Member

They do, but I kind of wonder if that look would get old eventually?

7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I .... I.... I I ....... I yii yiii yi....... I...... :cry: I just.....

I just can't figure out why amps are so ugly, :huh I have nightmares about them all the time :cry:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:messedup

Jtoomuch, Tommy Biggs and rizla like this.
  8. mwhy

mwhy Member

Shiro likes this.
  9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah dude... those amps look gross.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Emery Sound is still building, and the Superbaby is still less than $1000. $1100 with the hardwood enclosure. B-Custom will build you a hardwood cab for less than $400: https://reverb.com/item/6225580-b-c...wood-guitar-speaker-cabinet-1x12-2017-natural
    Or, better yet, buy a broken old wooden radio and replace the guts with a 5E3 or Champ kit and decent speaker. Even if you have to have it built for you it'll be well under $1000 and you'll have saved a radio from being burned.

If the question is "why don't cheap amps come in hardwood"? No one is actually covering a guitar amp with the thin veneers or "wood look vinyl" that cheap stereo speakers are covered with, because everyone assumes that they'll be carried from place to place (unlike bookshelf speakers). There just aren't enough "Madison Square Bedroom" players who don't harbor that deep seated belief that someday they'll join a band! And the pretty ones that are actually furniture grade cost like actual furniture does (like $500-2000 for the nice cabinet, THEN the cost of a handwired amp and speaker on top of that).

All that said, my local luthier built me a cab to fit an old Valco amp for $75. It's just pine, but it's light and looks decent. Buy a $500 SF Vibrochamp and have someone build a $100 cab for it.

11. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

:sarcasm
    Since we all have the same aesthetic sense may I suggest amps are ugly so your significant other won’t get jealous :jo

12. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Though I disagree that guitar amps are ugly, let's not forget...
    Hi-Fi amps are built for living rooms.
    Guitar amps are built for stages.

Jtoomuch and BobChuck like this.
  13. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Tan pants = Blues lawyer = Rich dude who has expensive gear but can't play

marvin cobain likes this.
  14. Jason Hernandez

Jason Hernandez Member

How about a suede covered Dumble?

Shiro likes this.
  15. 71strat

71strat Member

Dave Gilmour owns one

16. Howzaboppin

Howzaboppin Member

There's your solution right there: get a DI box and connect it to that (or similar) speaker. If it's just for practicing, what's the problem?

rizla likes this.
  17. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

We live in the era of the click-bait viral titles. If this topic was named "I need suggestion of amplifiers to match with my furniture" instead of "Why are guitar amps so ugly?" it would probably have had only constructive replies. But now we are on page 15th of having fun with it. Some suggestions are good, but most are funny

18. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Not sure if anyone said this...but I think some of it may have to do with the whole "stage black" thing...where some stage elements are intentionally black to make them appear "transparent" or invisible" and not to detract from the elements that are meant to stand out.
    Maybe that's part of why black was/is so predominant for amp covering...though there are probably other reasons too.
    Amps were never originally thought of as "furniture"...but more as stage tools that didn't need to be prominent.

I prefer the overall black look of amps...though I do have a couple that are not, but they just happened to have a different color Tolex, otherwise they still have the typical amp look...not like furniture. :D

There's also some tweed covered amps in my stable...which I like, but much of that is specific to the style of amps they are...and I wouldn't consider them to be furniture grade, either.

19. C-Man

C-Man Member

I think a lot of modern style amplifiers are more on the ugly side, but then again they are trying to build an identity separate from the traditional ones. I view my amplifiers as art, and I keep this one right where I can just stare at how beautiful it is.

spaceman39, SimAlex, Tech21 and 2 others like this.
  20. rizla

rizla Supporting Member

I thought the OP was being deliberately sensationalist knowing that most people here would find the amps we use to be quite good looking objects.

SimAlex, Shiro and pinfloi like this.