Why are guitar players a "dime a dozen"?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cantstoplt021, Apr 11, 2015.

1. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

You hear that expression all the time that guitar players are a dime a dozen while good drummers bassists and keyboardist are much harder to find. Why is that? Is guitar just perceived as cooler than those other instruments so there's more people that play it? I've been curious about this.

2. HiddenCharms

HiddenCharms Member

I think it is perceived as being cooler, like the quarterback or pitcher. There's also a bit of the gunslinger samurai thing going on with some people - rightly or wrongly.

3. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

really good players who can cover all bases from shread to delta blues are not too common. I know a lot of guys who are great at a style but outside that they often are tentative or out of their depth. Not many guys who can nail it all

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

By guitar players and wanna be guitar players.

Very true.

5. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

I think you just answered your own question, OP. You don't mention anything about good guitar players...

6. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I liken it to the expression that "95% of original bands are crap." Neither are true in my experience, they're just dismissive phrases that are easy to toss off with nothing to substantiate them.

I also don't consider being a jack of all trades a prerequisite for being a good guitar player.

7. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

Good guitar players are hard to find. However, if you qualify all musicians with "good" the situation is still the same.

Why are good guitar players dime a dozen while good bassists/good keyboardists/good drummers are hard to find?

Guitar players still outnumber everyone else by a wide margin. It's a numbers game.

To answer the OP's question: guitar is the most popular instrument, period. Combine the fact that they're transportable, with the fact that you have more leeway to play it relatively badly and still have a career, along with with all the options for silent practicing, with the history of attention to the guitar hero, and every Tom Dick & Harry will be more likely to take up guitar than anything else.

Bass?

Under-appreciated until there's no groove.

Drums?

Too much s**t to carry.

Keyboards?

Too much s**t to carry.

8. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

Guitar players that play to fit the band/song are rarer then hen's teeth!

9. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

What he said ^^^

10. Mystix

Mystix Silver Supporting Member

I don't know why - but here is one I hear around here all the time....

"you can't throw a rock in this town without hitting a guitarist (or two)"

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

It used to be much worse. When I was young guitar players were only 7 cents a dozen. Then, when I was in my 20s they dropped to 4 cents a dozen. (disco caused this)

The good news is that over the past 30 years our value has crept back up to a dime.

12. DanR

DanR Member

Inflation...

13. josh_michael

josh_michael Member

Yes. And, everyone wants to be the front man....

14. Falco

Falco Member

You know what you throw a guitar player who's drowning...

his amp.

15. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Guitar players that can play in time are the rarest.

16. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

Being a guitar player in a band is just the most obvious thing, and the dumb masses always go for the most obvious thing, even if it's wrong.

17. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Why are guitar players a "dime a dozen"?

Because a guitar is smaller and cheaper than a piano or a drum set, is just as expressive as either of those for songwriting, and you don't have to graduate from Juliard to be considered a virtuoso.

18. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I think many are drawn to the guitar over bass or drums simply because it's more of a full range, standalone instrument. A person can sit down and play a song (with or without vocals), and it sounds "complete." Try doing the same thing with just a bass or just drums and it seems a bit incomplete.

19. 247jamz

247jamz Member

I think it's also a lot harder to be a drummer, practice is usually very loud (even with electronic drums and headphones, the banging on the hi-hat and the kick make a decent amount of noise). Guitar is so easy to play anywhere, and you can sound like you're in a giant stadium on a pair of headphones. And like others have said, it can stand alone, whereas a bass player would typically want to jam with a drummer and a drummer would want to play with a band. I personally don't play a whole lot of solo guitar work, I always want to play with others, and when I practice, it's almost always with some kind of backing track.

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

I find good ones to be extremely rare...

Good ones that can sing even rarer...

Good ones that can sing and get along with the rest of the band almost extinct...

Now...what constitutes good...there will be no consensus here but that is really the crux of the matter IMO...