Why are Mesa amp heads more $$ than their combo counterparts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Carabinerx, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

Is it just me or is Mesa Boogie the only company that has a higher used market value for their heads than the combo version of the same amp? It drives me nuts! I want one, but a head -- and generally thats $150-$300 cheaper than the combo version, but not with Mesa! Its generally more so. What gives? :mad:

2. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I honestly think that "weight" has a big play in this!?!? My Road King 2x12 combo was around 120 pounds....My Tremoverb combo was around 95 pounds. Casters are great, but don't help going up/down steps or across a gravel parking lot.

This is just my opinion, but I really think it's a major factor on the pricing of combos vs heads. People love the sound, but realize a head is better (for weight purposes).

3. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

I'm gonna go with weight as well, plus the head format ends up making it a little more versatile, I usually prefer combos but not when they weigh 50kgs.

4. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

It's called supply and demand. You'll also find that often Marshall combo amps don't go for anything near the price of Marshall heads, even though it costs the company more money to build combos.

5. bettset

bettset Member

probably is the weight.....and guys like to use heads with 2x12's and 4x12 cabs :munch

6. briwinters

briwinters Member

Weight. Probably the same reason the Mesa lunchbox heads seem to hold value better then their full sized counterparts.

7. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

As said above, supply and demand.

Also more people want bone crushing chest thumping sound and combos, as good as some are,'are lacking compared to separate closed back cabinets.

Living in Argentina where supply is more limited than in USA, and amps cost more, I have cut combos turning them into heads, and built a new cabinet housing original 2 speakers plus 2 extra ones turning it into a 4 x 12".

Probably not cost effective in USA , but here helps pay the rent.

8. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Same thing in the vintage Fender market...princetons go for twice what a Super reverb does even though the Super was top of the line in its day.

9. VivaVirilium

VivaVirilium Member

I agree with the "weight" answers ... I have a teeny little Mesa TA-15 (for the record: absolutely KILLER amp) and it weighs just 12 pounds -- however the 212 cabinet it sits on top of weighs over 50 pounds. For reference, I also have a marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo that I use (which is just 40 watts and is 112) that weighs about 50 pounds.

10. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Agree with Supply and Demand.