Why are my new EL84 tubes doing this?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by TrowerPwr, Feb 23, 2008.

1. TrowerPwr

TrowerPwr Member

I just received a pair of matched Ei EL84 tubes from Doug's Tubes. They are replacing the original tubes, which are Groove Tubes.

The new tubes beep like a metronome. The beeping gets louder/softer as the position of the guitar changes, and as the volume on the guitar is turned up or down. It eventually fades away if I stop playing. This did not happen with the GTs.

Doug said he will replace them or refund my money, so I'm not out the $24 for the tubes. But I am curious as to what is going on.

The amp is a Crate V16 Palomino. The V1 preamp tube has been replaced with a Mullard AU7, and the V3 has been replaced with an RCA Blackplate AT7, reducing the gain quite a bit.

Thanks!

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Never heard a el84 do that so I'd like to know too. Did you try putting the old tubes back in?

3. booj

booj Member

I had that happen and found out it was my electric watch, which had a second hand movement.

4. TrowerPwr

TrowerPwr Member

Did you have the amp fixed or just use different tubes? Or did you take your watch off?

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

WOW.. I just remember,, I had this problem too! With a timex watch! about 5 yrs ago. Good call! :D took a little while to figure it out. took off the watch.. as it was coming through the pickups, the high gain amp just loved it LOL

6. epluribus

epluribus Member

I presume once you removed the watch interference you returned to your guitar playing...took the tickin' and kept on lickin'...as it were...sorry. :)

7. TrowerPwr

TrowerPwr Member

Weird. I put the Ei's back in- no beeping. No idea why it stopped.

8. rockindog

rockindog Member

Ditto here. My Swiss Army watch would cause a ticking sound when I wore it playing single coil Strats or P-90 Gibsons through my amps. Simple solution is to take it off.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If nothings changed but the tubes it must be a bad tube. Bob

10. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I had that happen with a watch too.

11. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

The tubes might be seriously mis-matched ... did you check the bias?

You could also try swapping one of the tubes to see if only one of the new tubes is bad.

12. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Clearly the one tube is picking up a beacon signal from an alien space craft. :)
    Never heard of the wristwatch interference issue. Cable TV convertors can cause some very interesting sounding interference though.