Why are Princetons popular?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Pseudohobbit, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Pseudohobbit

Pseudohobbit Supporting Member

I’ve played one once for like two minutes in a store, not nearly enough time to tell anything.i haven’t even seen another nearby. So, for those in the know, why are these things so good?

2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Simple, reliable, good with pedals, usable volume level, light weight, etc.

3. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Princeton Reverb with a 12" or a Deluxe Reverb is all the amp you ever need IMO. Best to have both.

4. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

They’re a great small size and weight...they’re as small as you can go and still get a tone control, realistic volume level (both loud and quiet) and reasonably open cab sound.

5. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

Grab n' go. Although, mine is a double power with a 12" and 2 6L6s , it's in a princeton sized cab. That amp is goin places I tell ya.....

ToneDeVille and Washburnmemphis like this.
  6. jblake

jblake Member

They’re very portable and sound great. Not much more you can ask for.

rhinocaster likes this.
  7. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

They sound particularly good when paired with a Supro Reverb Head and run using the configuration detailed below. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not Orange and saltydogg like this.
  8. zenas

zenas Member

Already has a blackface DR when I stumbled into a nice '64 PR for 900 bucks 5ish years ago. Given the going rate for one then only a fool wouldn't peel out the Benjamins and take it home. That BFDR has collected a lot of dust since then.
    If I could only have two Fender Reverb amps it'd be that Princeton and a Twin.

Tommy_G, dansworld and blackba like this.
  9. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Most every feature you might need in a bigger amp put into an easily portable package. A 12" speaker will make it even better than it is.

ruger9 likes this.
  10. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I was just recently looking for my first bedroom amp, that being the bedroom that I share with my wife, so this was not an easy task trying to find an amp that would “tie-in” to the curtains and color scheme of the bedroom...

The PRRI has done *nothing* but impress me in this scenario. Takes up little floor space, looks great with a lamp, sounds great with a Tele, and works well with a tubescreamer. 10/10 and my wife agrees....

I liked the one below so much, I got a PRRI with a 12” speaker as well...total GearPage maneuver right?

How adorbs does this look?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. BigGreggoTX

BigGreggoTX Member

I just bought a PRRI and I love it. Sparkling cleans and a great pedal platform but it starts to break up nicely at about 5, which is not too loud for my bedroom (can't say the same for my DRRI). I use a Blues Driver to get a little more crunch at lower volumes. The blackface reissues are awesome, and I'll entertain no disagreement. :)

rhinocaster likes this.
  12. BigGreggoTX

BigGreggoTX Member

This is how "husbanding" is done, boys. Take note. :)

msquared and saltydogg like this.
  13. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

Easy to pick up and smash at the end of your rock show. ;)

14. dspellman

dspellman Member

Not Orange, HeavyCream, Radar and 3 others like this.
  15. bigben55

bigben55 Member

I tried, but i just need more than a Princeton. I like em, think they sound good, but I need, well, MORE. I could live with a DR if the bright cap was snipped. But I dont blame the Princeton entirely. I love 10" speakers, but only in pairs or quads. Never played a 1x10 combo i loved, though there have been multiple 1x12s i have.

MilwMark, Waxhead and Tone_Terrific like this.
  16. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

17. dspellman

dspellman Member

(Sings, badly): "I'm on an EESCULATER to helllll! EEEESCULATER to hell!!!"

Not Orange likes this.
  18. babbyb

babbyb Member

Light. Small. Takes pedals well. Quiet enough that you can push it on small gigs without deafening the audience. Cheap. Plentiful.

19. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

A friend brought over his '68 SF Dripedge Princeton Reverb to my shop last night.

He said it was making a loud screeching sound as soon as it warmed up---- and it was.

The V2 12at7 Reverb Driver tube had gone wildly microphonic and turned into a "screamer".

I put in a true NOS UK-made 12at7/ecc81 that I got from CE Dist (a bunch of them) and a quick shot of QD Electronic Cleaner to clean up the tube/socket connection.

I had him test it out and all seemed good until he turned the amp up to about 8 and another tube-related crackling type noise appeared.

It was the V4 12ax7 that was crapping out when pushed (a GE long plate 12ax7)---- I put in a new Ruby Chinese 12ax7 HG (I use these in the modern Hi Gain builds I do).

He tested it out and all was good.

He plays the amp set on @8-10 and uses the guitar vol pot to control "gain" level--- also with a little Reverb.

He played the cranked amp for some time and was getting impressive distorted tones and cleans from it.

An old Princeton Reverb (properly working) is just the right amp for him and he makes it sound great.

We left the new Chinese 12ax7 in the V4 (Vibrato/PI) position.

Properly working preamp tubes that are in clean sockets make a great deal of difference---:cool::cool::cool:

20. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

The better question is that with all that they offer, why wouldn't they be popular? :)