• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why are so many classic rock CDs $13 and up?

Scott Whigham

I just checked out prices for some of the classic albums - check out the prices for albums made 30+ years ago:

Pink Floyd - Animals: $13.31
The Beatles - Rubber Soul: $14.92
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti: $13.72

I think that's absurdly high. $7 - okay. $8 - well, okay. $9 though and I start thinking, "Screw that. I've bought this album 2-3 times in my life already for $12-$15..."

Now you might say, "Scott - you're crazy. That includes shipping so surely they should be able to charge more." Fine - then how come Kind of Blue is $6.75 shipped two-day to my door? Or you could say, "Scott, those are remastered. Surely you don't expect the labels to cover that cost?" Yes, I do. It costs what - $30,000 more to remaster at most? Maybe I'm off - what's the most it could cost for a 10-song album: $10,000 a song? $50,000 a song? Or $1000 a song?

And don't forget that these Amazon prices - this is likely to be $2+ more per CD if you found these elsewhere.

Why are these albums still priced so high? I just checked my Amazon purchase history - I bought AC/DC's Back in Black in 2006 for $6.72. It's now $9.34. Wow.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
As I'm sure you already know, they are priced that way because record companies believe they can get it.

The classic rock generation is at the peak of their earning power right now, w/ lots of disposable income and youthful memories to relive.

Give it thirty more years and prices on classic rock albums will fall. (Not to mention Les Pauls, Stratocasters, Marshalls, and Deluxe Reverbs.)

I feel you though. I've owned VHI on LP, 8 track, cassette, CD, and mp3. How many more times do I have to buy it?

Because these albums are still in demand...people are willing to pay it...

Supply and Demand, Econ 101...learned this in high school...
;) just kidding

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
And I believe it is also the case that middle aged and older folks are much more likely to purchase physical media at this point.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
Metalheads pay $20-50 for limited-edition vinyl; indie folks pay $13-15 for new cds; DJs and dubstep enthusiasts pay $7-10 for imported SINGLES. If you want it, and are willing to pay for it, those that are selling will take notice.

RupertB

Silver Supporting Member
Demand is part of the reason.

I'd wager that it has much to do with the margin on digital media vs CDs as well.

EricPeterson

I think they would make more money if they lowered the price because they would sell a lot more albums, but they have probably looked into it and decided that is not the case.

billboy73

I have been buying the Pink Floyd catalog lately, but have been buying the original cds for $5-$6 in the used bin at local shops

I think they would make more money if they lowered the price because they would sell a lot more albums, but they have probably looked into it and decided that is not the case.
Like many things which should be self evident, I'd bet they have not looked into it. I'd bet they only lower prices when sales and interest are at a low. (I could be wrong.)

How many people would like to buy the Beatles remaster box set, but won't/can't because its $175? What about all these $30 remasters? A lot of these bands, I like well enough, but not enough to shell out more than $8 per album. Maybe they figure they'll get me once prices drop, but my interest will have waned by then, or I'll get a copy from someone else.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Just went to Best Buy the other night.
Picked up Rush "Caress of Steel" and "Signals", Chicago IX and Van Halen II, all for $5 each.

Where are these expensive classic rock albums that you speak of??

JPF

Baby Boomers +nostalgia = keeping the dinosaur record company alive for awhile longer

Scott Whigham

Those are all great albums all the way through. I will gladly pay $12-15 for CDs with that quality of music.
You think that the underlying current to what I wrote was, "I don't think good albums are worth $12-$15"? That's certainly not what I wrote nor was it implied in my post.

I just don't get it the whole music pricing paradigm. Books seem to be doing a better/more predicatable job - a new book comes out and it's $25 in hard cover (let's set aside digital for the time being). A year later, it's $15 in paperback. A year later, and it's $10. Ten years on and it's $5-$9 and it probably settles somewhere in there and stays there. Why? Because book sellers capitalize on the "I want that new book!" desire people have and then, while they have the buyer's attention, they show them the other books at a reduced price. Music sellers - they discount the new album to $7 and sell the back catalog at $14.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
^ Only if the book is popular enough to warrant multiple editions. If a book flops at hardcover price, it never has a chance to make it to cheaper editions.

acguitar84

And I believe it is also the case that middle aged and older folks are much more likely to purchase physical media at this point.
It's 'cause us older folks have style! We would much rather listen to the lossless copy then a lossy mp3.

That said though, i usually rip my CD's into my computer as lossless FLAC, then the CD goes in the closet. So who knows?

I don't mind paying money for CD's. I wonder if some of the money for the used CD's off Amazon goes to the artist?

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I just checked out prices for some of the classic albums - check out the prices for albums made 30+ years ago:

Pink Floyd - Animals: $13.31
The Beatles - Rubber Soul: $14.92
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti: $13.72

I think that's absurdly high. $7 - okay. $8 - well, okay. $9 though and I start thinking, "Screw that. I've bought this album 2-3 times in my life already for $12-$15..."

Now you might say, "Scott - you're crazy. That includes shipping so surely they should be able to charge more." Fine - then how come Kind of Blue is $6.75 shipped two-day to my door? Or you could say, "Scott, those are remastered. Surely you don't expect the labels to cover that cost?" Yes, I do. It costs what - $30,000 more to remaster at most? Maybe I'm off - what's the most it could cost for a 10-song album: $10,000 a song? $50,000 a song? Or $1000 a song?

And don't forget that these Amazon prices - this is likely to be $2+ more per CD if you found these elsewhere.

Why are these albums still priced so high? I just checked my Amazon purchase history - I bought AC/DC's Back in Black in 2006 for $6.72. It's now $9.34. Wow.
There's a tax on having such excellent taste.

gixxerrock

The dinosaurs are dying off and they are trying to milk it till the end. I think they are taking a very short term view and exchanging goodwill for money.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom