Why are some songs/albums "out of tune"?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by braveheart, May 25, 2019.

1. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Joe Jackson records?

That’s just how he sings.

2. jblake

jblake Member

I learned with FM radio as well. Recently I’ve been revisiting a lot of music from the early to mid nineties, and so many of those albums are now available as remastered-deluxe-anniversary editions that include bonus tracks like demos and “radio edits.” I always assumed radio edits were meant to remove profanity or shorten instrumental sections, but many of them are actually faster and slightly higher in pitch. It is particularly evident in pre-1995 releases.

Another side effect from learning songs from the radio is the inherent compression of radio broadcast, which really muddied up a lot of mixes. That went out the window when everything started getting the brick wall treatment (also pre-1995).

3. JCantrell

JCantrell Member

Can think of some off the top of my head

-Almost every AC/DC song before Back in Black is between standard and Eb. It's a long way to the top is actually up almost a step
    -For Whom The Bell Tolls, slightly up. Tape is sped up
    -Early Megadeth is a similar tuning if not the same to AC/DC, wouldn't even be surprised if Dave tuned to AC/DC albums, he's a big fan

dahctor likes this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

"Xanadu," from Rush, is about 25 cents sharp. Really irritating when I want to woodshed it.

miffa and Ethn Hayabusa like this.
  5. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

By "out of tune" I meant that the pitch was between notes, as if , for instance, C was at 270 Hz.

6. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

Home of Les Paul, Lambeau Field , Harley Davidson

I had some pitch variations with digital downloads too.

7. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

I never noticed that because I'd just tune to the opening synth. I didn't use a tuner until 1984!

8. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

Yeah, I find the Layla outro pretty much unlistenable.

9. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Neither song is out of tune - in the case of Bryan Adams, Tears for Fears, Don Henley and many many other singers/bands - they have a certain pitch where the magic comes out - Don Henley talks about that all the time - there is a certain key that his voice becomes 'Don Henley'. That's what's going on in most Pop, Rock, and other Genres.

10. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

Paul pulls the outro bass line in come together all over the place. Start at 3:00

A-Bone likes this.
  11. braveheart

braveheart Member

sorry, off pitch was meant...the whole song

12. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Snowblind - Sabbath. Horribly out of tune open G string.

South Side Of The Sky - Yes. The beginning section is A440, but the last section is tuned sharp. So whenever I play along with the song I know the ending will sound wonky. Unless I stop the cd and tune up slightly higher (!)

Push Push - Herbie Mann. Oh, Mann. This infamous jazz album with Herbie’s hairy, naked whatever on the cover is also famous for featuring Duane Allman on every track. And Duane was out of tune on the whole album (flat) or Mann couldn’t flute in tune! I have tried to listen to this album to appreciate Duane’s improvisations but it really becomes torture. Maybe everybody was stoned?

13. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

There are a number of reasons for the sped up versions - one is pitch over FM - I don't remember from production days - but there is a specific resonant frequency that comes through all the junk music passes through on it's way to your car radio that producers use. Also there is a timing issue - how many songs can fit in between advertising and songs are cut to fit that - or sped up if they are over a bit. You'll see this type of action on TV where the end credits are sped up wildly - so the station can cram as much as they can in between Advertising.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  14. braveheart

braveheart Member

sorry, I meant pitch...so I guess I need a plugin or app that can change the pitch...

15. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

See: Push Push

16. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Microtonal instruments? :dunno

17. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Those aren't "out of tune", they're in tune to a reference pitch other than the one you're using.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  18. mikefair

mikefair Supporting Member

I remember listening to the hit music radio station in St. Louis in the 70s. Everything was sped up and noticeably sharp. Of course it was all vinyl (and maybe open reel tape?) The songs did sound a little more exciting or urgent.

19. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

One of the biggest hurdles to learning songs by ear: TUNE TO THE SONG BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING.

I have some intentionally altered pitch-altered Audition tracks that match my A440 tuning instead of tuning sharp or flat as the song/band recorded. And those are the tracks I play along with, not the original pitch-b!tch.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  20. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Same here -- I didn't notice it 'til I got my first tuner, an analog needle-thingy; I'd always tuned to that opener as well. "WTF?" I sez to myself.

I dug through some Rush forums and the consensus seems to be that they wanted to shorten running time for the song. Not sure if that's accurate. It doesn't make much sense to me, given that you're not saving that much album space.

Radius and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.