Why are there so many guitars in Japan?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by playthecray, Apr 5, 2020.

1. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

I don't know what is the Female/Male ratio of electric guitar players at the US, but at my country (Spain) or at the country where I live (Thailand) female guitarists are scarce. However, in Japan there is a large number of female guitarists, many of them very young and very talented. That is a huge number of additional buyers.

2. Chad-Jag

Chad-Jag Supporting Member

I taught ESL in Japan several times from 2005-2009 and the guitar shops there were mind blowing. I think just anything they do they give it their best.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

Maybe 20 years ago the store I managed sold an SVT head to Japan. I couldn't believe someone would pay the shipping.

Kizanski likes this.
  4. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Silver Supporting Member

I thought you meant availability.

Yeah, Japanese prices for things can be very high. Although for imported goods, Japan is not alone. Ask the Australians what they pay. The same is true in the US for some brands. A Mayones is a lot cheaper in Europe than in the US.

AuroraTide likes this.
  5. Slapshot1977

Slapshot1977 Member

Only a fool buys from a Japanese seller online.

hugowei99 likes this.
  6. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

Why? I've bought several things from Japan with better price than buying from the US, including import taxes.

spiral likes this.
  7. chandra

chandra Member

I started playing guitar because of BECK! I bought a Tele cause Koyuki had one.

K-On wasn’t my bag, but it was a really fun story. And it was awesome to see the Les Paul, Korg Triton and those quirky Fenders all over the internet on anime forums and early social media

GovernorSilver likes this.
  8. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

I had been to several Texas guitar shows and Japanese buyers had a booth. Their booth were for all the instruments they had bought at the show, none for sale.

I spoke with a friend who used to attend and had a booth at those shows and he told me that they would buy vintage guitars ship them to Japan and mark them up (X's 3) for sale.

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

Ruokangas guitars are pretty awesome. I've tried a few of them and Juha Ruokangas is a nice dude. Outside my price range now though, wish I had bought one years ago.

Jazzandmore likes this.
  10. Imran5000

Imran5000 Member

They have a huge music industry no.2 after the US

11. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

plus the Japanese models and brands that you cannot get here are pretty desirable and somewhat rare.

derekd likes this.
  12. reg46

reg46 Member

I'm curious as to how this is the case as any American brand guitars are far more expensive in Japan than in the US.

13. narad

narad Supporting Member

I complained about this once. Ebay said they couldn't confirm it was fraud, despite the condition stating that you need to own the item (otherwise this becomes a service). I said, isn't it obvious that 8 different sellers cannot be in the same possession of the same instrument? They gave me another non-answer. I sent them a photo of myself in the shop literally holding the guitar. Another, "thank you for raising this issue"/"we will look into it" non-answer.

It really hurts the usability of their site and was one of the main reasons I moved over to Reverb.

Matt L likes this.
  14. narad

narad Supporting Member

Dude down the street from me lives in a decrepit small house, sliding doors with no insulation, plastic tarps on the windows, etc. There's a Ferrari occupying his entire "yard", under a tarp on all but a couple days of the year. And it's a really nice Ferrari -- not even the obvious entry ones but something I'd guess is closer to $400k.

AltecGreen likes this.
  15. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

The Ventures. Next question.
    ;)

16. nla

nla Member

Not necessarily so. American brand, yes, but "made in Japan" for the local market = lower priced (locally) and (depending on the brand, year and factory of production) often superior in quality. And, as mentioned earlier in this thread: most Japanese don't like buying second hand, so many "used" guitars (though in immaculate condition) cost next to nothing. Besides, there's quite a lot of models exclusive to Japan, which means they're not even available on the US or EU market. I can very well imagine a mint condition, Japan-specific, used guitar being resold for double or more.

17. jujube

jujube Member

Ishibashi seems to have nice used Gibsons.

18. Brad2

Brad2 Member

Because there are so many people in the West who want to buy them.:D

19. dave999z

dave999z Member

For whatever reason, none of the higher end Fender or Gibson I see posted by the Japanese shops ever seem to be in new/mint/unplayed condition. You see a lot more of those posts in the US.

20. james...

james... Member

Sometimes.

I scored a Curt Kobain Jaguar for $580 out the door at some Ishibashi used store. Actually thought about keeping that one. Realized the scale length wasn't for me. Went on Reverb for $1100.

The REAL cash can be made by buying Fender Japan models that are in high demand over here and bringing those back. Easy money if you really wanted to get heavy into that.