Why are Timmy pedals going for $185 used?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HeeHaw, Nov 5, 2005.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

If I were the builder I'd start charging $200 for them new and make everyone wait six months. :D

Seriously, I really do like my Timmy, but I don't think there's $185 worth of pedal there.

Am I missing something here?

2. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

i'd much rather pay less, be patient for a few weeks...and give my money straight to paul for a new pedal

3. flicker180

flicker180 Member

guys, be nice.

remember "Great Pharoah" and the Way Huge debacle from a month ago? people charge what the market will bear and that's their prerogative.

ta,

dave

4. Luke V

Luke V Member

It's called supply and demand. Instant gratification also comes into play.:D

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I'm with Flicker on this one. I have never purchased a pedal that I didn't intend on keeping and I've definitely paid too much to get a pedal earlier. I've also sold quite a few pedals. Sometimes I lose money and sometimes I make a few bucks. Most of the time I lose though. If any money is made, I put it back into the boutique pedal market.

It's the buyers that determine what price they will go for. Many are willing to pay more to avoid the long wait lists and that is their choice.

I think Paul's product is great and he could charge much more for it but he doesn't so he can help out the small guy. That's his choice too and it's a very noble one.

6. Lefty

Lefty Member

Paul is a great guy, and that's one reason why I don't really want to sell it. I'm not out to rape anyone on the sale of my Timmy, it's a great pedal and in high demand. But when I go to sell something I tend to be a bit flexable on the price.

And on a side note: If nobody wants to pay my asking price, I guess it was meant for me to keep it :dude

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey Lefty,

I don't think your price is too high. Almost every Timmy (not Tim) that I've seen sold on the Emporium has been around $180. Someone will pick it up.

8. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I don't know this maker at all but I think it says a lot about him that he doesn't profiteer from this situation unlike some makers I won't name. It's good to be patient...it tastes better when you get it.;)

9. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

For the record, I've lost money on every pedal I've sold, save for my $50 profit on an OCD.

10. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, I'm finding this hilarious. I usually get a dime on the dollar for my used gear, that's why I've been very, very careful about what I buy for the last 10 years or so.

My very first pedal ever was a Colorsound Fuzzwah- a wreched piece of cheeze that picked up three radio stations simultaneously - felt lucky to get 10 bucks for it.

Now I see them going for HUNDREDS of dollars..unbelievable...

11. larc

larc Member

Look inside a Vintage Fuzz Face, and you'll see there ain't much inside that either. Like everyone says, it's all about supply and demand.

Even if Paul C. were to charge $200 for his pedals, I doubt that would stop people from paying more. You would probably see used Tim / Timmy's being sold for $250.

Compared to list prices on some pedals, the $185 for a Timmy is probably not that high. It might seem expensive because you already know they cost less direct (What is it...$95? Can't recall what he sells them for).

I don't think this applies to this thread, but discussing the percieved value of gear is a touchy subject. I realize it's in people's nature to offer support for a product they own, but they shouldn't become so defensive to comments that could take away from the potential value of their item. LOL, if more people on this board owned Dumbles, perhaps we might see more support around here for their high used prices.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

What something costs has hardly anything to do with what it is *worth*.

As stated, it is being sold $180 ish cause enough people are willing to pay that price. As an accountant I have to understand economics so I'll say what I've said before... PaulC charges below equilibrium price (market price) for his pedals. That is precisely why there is a waiting list for his pedals. The laws of supply and demand state that charging below equilibrium price will ALWAYS create a shortage. Hence the long waiting list. Yes the fact that only one person builds the pedals is a variable, but is less a determinant than the low price.

13. PaulC

PaulC Member

I charge what I feel good about charging. I could care less about what the market dictates. And I do not feel that there is a waiting list for the pedal because of there being a priced induced shortage. The wait is because I don't have the time to make them...

What I charge amounts to a wholesale price. Since I sell direct I feel no need to mark the pedals up to a standard retail price. I am not trying to compete with anybody by trying to undersell them. I just think retail pricing was ment to allow for the use of dealers. Since I don't use dealers I'd feel greedy if I added that amount to my pedals.

If I did use dealers I'd be making the same amount. so what is the problem in trying to keep things small while passing the savings on to the customer? I'm sorry, but just because the pedal is sort of hot for me right now I do not feel it's proper to milk it for what I can. I charge what it's worth for me to make. I'm not interested in charging what it may or may not be hyped up to be.

I hope this ends this stuff. I don't think I can do another post without starting to swear!!

PaulC

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

PaulC,

Sorry it's been a point of contention for you. I can understand why. To be clear, I'm not saying that you are doing anything wrong or unethical or trying undercut other people selling their used Timmy's. It's just that people are willing to pay more that what you're charging....

I'm simply stating black and white economic facts. I could go into much more detail, but I'd bore people...

Please don't swear...:D

15. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey guys,

With respect to Paul and everyone's opinions, I think that we should let this thread go. Just my humble opinion. I think everything's been said. Many times over. I would hate for someone like Paul to be offended in any way.

We're all passionate about gear and more importantly about guitar. Paul is a class act and he's doing a very good thing for us small guys. This horse is dead.

Let's get back to playing!

Just my very humble opinion.

16. OOG

OOG Member

:horse :horse :horse :horse :horse :horse :horse
    always wanted to use that

he's right you know

17. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Well, it's relatively difficult to get a hold of a tim or timmy if you don't know how to contact Paul. There's literally no web info other than raves from people on message boards so that's driven the demand through the roof. Wait times are driving the used price up too, but hey, the man has to eat and go to work and live life like the rest of us. It's worth the wait anyhow. I want to order one from Paul now too.

PaulC. Keep on doing what you are doing, don't worry about the stuff you won't be able to control anyhow. We all appereciate your attention to detail and keeping the price where we can afford it. I'd rather pay the man responsible for the good work even if it takes a little longer to get it.

18. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I agree with most said.

My $.02:

Paul as an original TIM owner direct from you. I'm impressed with your style of and view on business. Don't change. It's refreshing to see guys like you doing the "right" thing.

IMO the guys that pay nearly double for these pedals are simply impatient and can't wait. So what? If that's the case, then that's their business. For those of us that sell them for whatever reason and end up making a (usually small) profit, I think it's a nice change of pace. I mean honestly HOW OFTEN does that happen? How many pedals have you bought and lost your shirt on come resale time? If it helps balance things out, I'm all for it.

Besides, it's not like these guys are buying tons of pedals from Paul and reselling them. I'm pretty sure Paul would catch on and wouldn't allow it.

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

OK, i have read nothing but raves for this "timmy" pedal.
    googling turns up hundreds of hits that have nothing to do with a place where i can find out how to procure one etc..
    URL please.
    thanx.

20. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

There is no URL, they are built by Paul Cochrane, if you view the previous page, you might be able to PM or email him. You can also call but unfortunately I don't have that number.