Why Are Treble Booster Pedals So Expensive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Buzzard Luck, Nov 19, 2019.

1. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Wow, this is a relatively complex circuit for a treble booster: is it an original design or is it based on a vintage circuit?

2. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

In general, the complexity of a pedal has virtually nothing to do with it's price. Unless they're built by hand, the time of construction is pretty much the same whether it's one part or one thousand. The price of the parts are pennies a piece. You're not paying for the complexity or simplicity of the circuit, and unless it's hand built, you're not paying for the manufacturing process. You're not even paying for the research that went into making it, because that circuit has been around forever, and what minor tweaks have been applied to it over the years, didn't require a team of electrical engineers operating an AI powered super computer running proprietary software.

What you're paying for is the desirability of the circuit, plus thirty to fifty bucks for the housing and guts. So if you don't like paying that much, then quit falling for fads. Find a pedal that everyone's sleeping on right now, and buy that instead. Or learn to solder and build your own.

3. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. Blanket Jackson

Where did you find it?

5. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Why not just use an EQ pedal with the treble boosted?

iBloke, Gig Young and Billy Van Beck like this.
  6. the_schuster

the_schuster Member

Nope, this is based on your pretty standard treble booster. All the added bits are a voltage converter so it runs off of standard +9V power and the Relay switching parts.

7. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

This is a very good option... ;-)

admiral sluggo likes this.
  8. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Most folks building vintage circuits are "selling the sizzle and not the steak" so to speak. There are a lot of factors to this not the least of which is that if you price your pedal at the same price as a known prestigious pedal, people tend to see them as equal competitors for your money purely because they are in the same price bracket. So you end up with a lot of pedals on the market at roughly the same price as the most popular one. $200 seems to be the typical price for a boutique pedal and all the builder needs to do is convince you they have magical ears and access to a secret stash of the best NOS components in order to separate you from your money.

Selling treble boosters and vintage-style fuzzes is mostly psychological manipulation. Anyone can buy a set of matched transistors from Small bear and a little piece of vero and build a pedal that sounds every bit as good as a $200+ pedal for about $50-$75 depending on hardware and shipping. Buyers just think the name brand one is better and they could never match it because of forum culture and the fact that the box might look cool.

hippieboy, ben777, dshobe and 2 others like this.
  9. soma

soma Member

Because despite the name that's not what a treble booster is.

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Nice workmanship Dan!

11. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

Supply and demand. The price is what people are willing to pay for the product or service, irrespective of the cost of inputs. Cost of inputs factors into competition, i.e. if someone is willing to sell it cheaper (lower profit margin) they can jump into the market and compete.
    Insofar that prices are relatively high given the simplicity of the product, it tells me that a) the products are popular as "boutique" items and b) not a large number of manufacturers feel it's worthwhile to compete at lower price.

Vhailor and Tone_Terrific like this.
  12. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

I got columbo onto it and tracked him down at reverb (Plum crazy FX) he has babies and stuff now and is not super active in the pedal building dept but he can be bribed with offers of sudocream and milk and if you kindly ask him to build you one he probably will.........his Squawk is the biz BTW

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Maybe that's partly why? I hadn't noticed a price increase, but now that I look, the OP is right. Used to be able to get used Keeley Java Boost with OC44 for around $100, not any more.

14. Blanket Jackson

Thanks! I'll have to find some sudocream then!

15. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

completely off topic, but every post of yours I read in Early’s voice because of your avatar.

“ain’t nothin’ to it. Jus’ getchaself some a them ‘lectronic bits and thangs. Get ‘em all solderified up, and start rawken on that six strang, boostified. YEAH BABY!”

16. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Member

In my limited experience building pedals, It seems that the low part count circuits are the hardest ones to get perfect.

Pedal pricing isn't just a markup on components and I think people are starting to understand that.

Things like fuzz, envelope filters, wah, treble boosters... There's a certain art to it. This creates a sense that very special versions of those pedals exist. This creates a sense that paying more might be worth it.

17. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Hell yes brother

Bobby D and longgonedaddy like this.
  18. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

They're not all the same. The builder's ears and related ability to tune a circuit matter.

Try a few.

Neil.Fish, dshobe and woof* like this.
  19. motokev

motokev Member

Why are Treble Booster pedals so expensive?

Haven't you seen Shark Tank, it's all about greedy margin.

20. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I built a BYOC for $69.99. Sounds great.

beanbass and ford like this.