why are we still soldering pickups instead of quick connections

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by semi-hollowbody, Apr 17, 2016.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Title says it all...why aren't manufacturers using quick connectors to connect pick ups instead of soldering...would make so much more sense considering how often we swap pups

Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

A: Cost. Everything about manufacturing is the bottom line.

B: Reliability. It's just easier for a quick connect to fail.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

C: except in specific narrow cases soldering is actually faster and easier for the experienced tech.

i've had to raise my prices for installing EMGs since they went with the connectors everywhere, it's literally harder and more time-consuming for me to figure out and wire up than when the stuff was just soldered.

4. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Thank god pickups aren't easier to install as I would just be changing them constantly.

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Lemmy had nothing to do with it.
    ;)

MrLahey likes this.
  6. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I experimented with connectors 20 years ago. They take up more room, require larger body routes to get connectors through, generally take longer to install if you add connectors yourself, and are a complete PITA to work with if you want to modify anything. Soldering is quick and easy.

Scrapperz and aussie_owner like this.
  7. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

All of the above, plus, do you really think that the folks who surf this forum are a typical cross section of players? How many people do you think really swap pickups? 1% of owners?

Cheers,
    Thom

8. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Member

Pickup winders can't even determine a unanimous polarity and wind direction on a Tele set of pickups...imagine trying to coordinate a universal connector everyone would use.

galibier_un, Mark Robinson and KSL like this.
  9. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

Point of failure. Yuck! Gretsch did this in the 60s. Corosion has caused many failures and made me a lot of money!

Elantric likes this.
  10. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

The guy who pushed EMG to do that crap has a special place in hell waiting- where he will spend eternity 1. trying to stuff the larger pots, boards, and cabling into cavities that are roomy if soldered, but impossible with quick connects, 2. figuring out switching mods for their proprietary 5 way with a million connections, and no switching diagram, or 3. cutting the ends off the quick connects because they won't fit through the channels. Look at this monstrosity:
    [​IMG]

There's like 40 connectors on that thing and they didn't have even a basic description of the switching scheme for years.

Yep. You may think "everyone" who buys a guitar thinks like the average TGP pickup swapper. The truth is that the vast majority of players don't change pickups....ever.
    Better and greedier minds have figured out where to use quick connects and where not to. Epiphone hollow bodies? Yes. Fender Teles? no.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    MrLahey and walterw like this.
  11. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

So I'm not the only one who hates those stupid things? Last time I put EMGs in a guitar I just bought extra 25K pots threw out the PCB board attached ones that came with the pickups, cut all the connectors off their harness and soldered everything making life much easier and quicker. The only quick connect on EMGs should be at the pickup.

Elantric likes this.
  12. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Gah!

13. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Sold and installed a bunch of those Duncan Liberators for guys wanting to switch pickups all the time. They ended up not using them much, were troublesome in their performance compared to soldered connections, etc. About half had me remove them in less than a year.

Connectors are one of those ideas that sounds like a great idea - but in the real world, just aren't as cool as the expectations.

14. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Boy I wish I knew. It's just stupid. Data transmission is far more sensitive than guitar wiring. It works fine for computers. Putting pickups in a 335 type guitar could be a 15 min job.

15. Mincer

Mincer Member

From what I understand, Seymour just prefers the vintage-aspect of soldering. Personally, I'd love a universal system of swapping, but I can see why companies wouldn't be cool with that.

16. walterw

The problem there is that the wire EMG now uses doesn't solder as well, the insulation melts way more quickly. It's the worst of both worlds.

KSL likes this.
  17. walterw

Him and everybody else who installs them for a living.
    Are you kidding? Like @Ron Thorn says, the companies can't even agree on what color wires go where or which way the magnets go in!

Elantric, Mincer and CharlyG like this.
  18. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

It's been a loooong time since I put EMGs in anything for myself or any customers so I can't remember if it melted quick or not, I certainly believe you when you say it does though. I just knew that after my first time dealing with the plug stuff when they first came out I wasn't about to do it again the second time and ditched the stock pots and all that.

19. 202dy

202dy Member

Crappy wire and materials, limited accessory choices, and limited flexibility in the choices available aside:

High voltage connections are self cleaning. Wireless connectors are fine.

Pickups do not generate high voltages. Solder is appropriate.

20. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

My solder joints are special.