Why aren't Custom Telecasters more popular?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by uvacom, Jan 29, 2008.

1. uvacom

uvacom Member

Okay, I admit, I'm in love with the look of the Custom Telecaster (I am of course talking about a specific model, the early 60s tele with a double-bound body and a rosewood fretboard, NOT necessarily a custom shop instrument). I can understand how some wouldn't be interested in the look, but custom teles are pretty damn uncommon, and I don't understand why since teles are possibly even more popular than strats right now (certainly very popular at any rate).

So what's the deal? What's holding so many back from getting a chunk of that double-bound twangy goodness?

2. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

Man I love them. I've got two teles and both are custom bodies. There is just somthing about that binding that gets me slobbering! I guess it's just a personal taste thing.

3. uvacom

uvacom Member

Well, maybe. I can accept that some may just not like binding, but it seems that in general most people view binding as a cosmetic improvement so intuitively it would seem like a more popular option - yet it isn't. So I'm wondering if there's some reason OTHER than taste that keeps the custom teles from seeing more popularity.

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

No tele's appeal to me more than double bound customs in either sunburst (transparent sunburst...) or black. amazing.

5. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

The Sunburst AV '62RI Tele Custom I used to own was one of the best guitars I've ever played. I'll own another one someday.

6. Mark C

Mark C Member

People like them, they're just more expensive for what is essentially eye candy.

7. XKnight

XKnight Member

Perhaps because Fender didn't make that many of them and they are not considered traditional Teles by many of the die hard Tele enthusiasts.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i'ved wondered the same thing as a proud member of the double-bound tele club myself. i got one the first year fender came out with the usa 62 ri (which replaced my japanese 62 ri). it bugged me for years that fender made every other variation of the usa reissues, i.e., maple 57 & rosewood 62 strat and p-bass, maple 75 and rosewood 62 jazz bass, maple 52 tele and...nothing?!

i can only guess that there isn't as much demand for rosewood teles, maybe folks just associate "tele" with maple.

9. russ

russ Supporting Member

Aren't most Tele Customs made of alder, while Teles are made of ash?
    I think they sound different

10. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

Sunburst w/binding is my fave look for a Tele...

[​IMG]

11. Curly

Curly Member

Fender must've seen some potential in the marketplace, since they "introduced" that "new" custom model at NAMM.

yup ... a lot of teles appeal is in its basic nature

12. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Agreed. I like the sound of Alder better. More lower mids and a smoother top end. Less honk and twang. Also, the bound body feels much different to play.

13. shuie

shuie Silver Supporting Member

Customs are alder/rosewood, but unless it was getting a translucent blonde finish, almost everything fender sprayed after '56 was also alder.

14. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Not THE answer but AN answer is that the Custom's closest competition is the AV 52 RI. Seems to me that a lot of Telecaster enthusiasts, at minimum, want a maple fretboard and, to a slightly lesser extent, an ash body. Many choose the AV 52 for that reason.

As for price premium, the 52 and 62 sell at the same price with the exception of the sunburst upcharge on the 62.

I don't care for maple fretboards regardless of the guitar and the 62 is a good option for me.

hunter

15. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I'm a fan of a rosewood board on just about everything and I'm not crazy about maple boards at all. So the decision to buy a Custom Tele was an easy one for me, finding one, especially used, wasn't.

Fortunately I found one of these forums and made my first internet deal. It went super smooth and the guitar is amazing, I took it to a friend who is a Tele fanatic and just let him play it without saying anything about it. After a few minutes of playing, he handed it back to me and said, that's a keeper.

I think a whole combo of things makes it a very nice looking guitar and the combo of an alder body and rosewood board give it a less bright sound. I like guitars more focused on mids and lows than highs.

16. rastus

rastus Member

It's a matter of taste as far as looks go, I like 'em personally. I have heard tele guys around here dog on them because the body edges are squared off and less comfortable than a regular Tele (never mattered to me at all, but I use Les Pauls, so I'm used to that harder edge)

I had a CAR Japan 62 Custom for years and I loved the alder and rosewood combo. That along with the steel saddles made the guitar much more suited for rock, it was darker,smoother, more midrangy, and just plain had more "thunk" than my ash/maple one. It did lack some of the "cluck" when chicken picking, and had much less top end "zing" Mine never met an amp it didn't love. I stupidly traded it off for something else, don't remember what. I may get another one some day-the black ones look really nice! I am seriously digging that black one set up like an Esquire in the earlier post. Hey, I think I just figured out my next project guitar!!!

17. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I long for a burst double bound tele with a fat rosewood neck... someday I'll find it. I don't care for the thinner 60s necks.

18. Stubee

Stubee Member

+1 Hunter's comments on the AV'62 model & it's place in Tele land.

I had a very nice AV'52, but sold it & got the '62. Both fine guitars, just a matter of personal preference. I love the SB/binding look, and the contour of the neck is a better fit for my hand.

19. sqadan

sqadan Member

The AV '62 is almost certainly my next Tele. Love the binding and the sunburst.

20. pjwill

pjwill Silver Supporting Member

I agree with previous posts about the squared of edges of bound Tele bodies being an issue. They are attractive, but I do notice the sharp edges on my forearm and ribs. I own a CS '60 Tele Custom as well as several "standard" unbound Teles and there is definitely a difference in feel.