1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Why aren't Rickenbacker guitars used for lead/solo?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrJamie, Jul 13, 2020.

1. DrJamie

DrJamie Member

I must admit, in 50 years of playing, I've never owned a Rick.

sahhas likes this.
  2. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

It's likely due to the neck.

Fat and the frets are very skinny, the opposite of what most people consider "lead guitar" material.

I don't mind the neck size myself, but I do consider the frets to be a dealbreaker. Also not an easy fix if you keep in mind that the rosewood fretboards are lacquered.

3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

They can be, but they are unique builds that people either love or hate. Their necks are an acquired taste - sticky, thin, and narrow. Their pickups are bright and percussive. Ricks are fantastic, though. That said, I don't know that their lead tone fills a mix as well as their rhythm does.

thesjkexperienc and 1973Marshall like this.
  4. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

News to me after decades of playing. Last I heard/saw, they are fine lead/solos.

5. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

This is probably my favorite guitar for playing lead. They definitely made some models that can shine in that department.

[​IMG]

tele1951, gill, LordByron and 41 others like this.
  6. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I actually think that if the Creedence performance had made the Woodstock movie, Ricks would be more accepted as lead instruments.

ChuckEds, Avenger, Rumble and 31 others like this.
  7. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

To answer the thread title: why? Because of a profound lack of imagination in most people. The comfort of mediocrity and safety of familiarity without the challenge of having to think.

If you’ve never owned one and are genuinely curious, I believe you could be richly rewarded:
    [​IMG]

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Another reason, for some, might be that Rick's string tension seems generally higher than most guitars which makes string bending more difficult. Still, their unique sound is worth their quirks to some of us:)! For some reason, I find my Ricks more fun to play than my Fenders even though I consider my favorite strat my #1 workhorse guitar. However, if I'm in my den entertaining myself I might pick up my strat and that might last a half hour...pick up one of my Ricks and 2-3 hours have passed:eek:! Go figure...so I figure my Ricks are more fun!

9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Isn't this one of the Rick models that has a wider nut and a a neck radius more like a Strat, though? She is a beauty, but a bit outside what Ricks are more commonly known for.

10. rkharper

rkharper Member

came to post this.

11. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

Yeah, I had a Ric with a neck like a broomstick. Super Distortion in the bridge and PAF in the neck, it was an amazing sounding guitar, but it hurt to play.

12. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Indeed it is...you're right. I just wanted to say that they did produce some models that are a bit easier to play lead on and which still retain some of that distinctive Rickenbacker sound. Their HB1 pickups are superb.

JWes65, ArtDecade and Sam Hill like this.
  13. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

14. ross

ross Silver Supporting Member

15. dhouse335

dhouse335 Gold Supporting Member

I have a 1993 Plus... wider neck... 12 string... it doesn't play like a tele, strat, gretsch, les paul, sg, etc... it plays like a Rick... small frets, tight tension, what's been said. The thing is NOTHING sounds like it. Being a 12 string, leads take on a different slant anyways... but into an overdriven amp the thing is just explosive.

I guess my point is... you can make serious music with it... but your approach is fundamentally different. That is one of the more fun aspects of that guitar to me...

Also Mike Campbell, Peter Buck, McGuinn, there are others... but it doesn't sound like Hendrix, Page, EVH, or any of the typical Titans that many of us think of when describing lead guitar style or tone. It would be very challenging to pull off much of those styles of music, for me anyways, with a Rick... but the other way around is true too... it's a totally distinct tone and playing...

16. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Because jangling in solos is not only inappropriate, it is offensive. Please do not bring this up again! :p Seriously - not sure why we haven't heard more Rick soloing - its a great tone and probably ideal for a lot of clean/lightly overdriven soloing.

17. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Because it’s got that weird finished fretboard and you’ll slide right past your notes because it’s slick.

18. josephpnorman

josephpnorman Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Go watch some early Tame Impala live videos.

openbar, johnsav, buzzp and 2 others like this.
  19. Jaketone

Jaketone Member

Neck was fine, tension was fine, comfortable and light - great tone.

HATED the string spacing. I don’t have huge fingers but I was all buzz and muted strings near the nut. Was a real shame to let the 360 go.

Rod, Bob Pollock and saltbird like this.
  20. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

Unfortunately 80% of beginning and mid level guitar dom is driven by the insanity shred wanna be's.
    And what was a TON of distortion or OD back in 71 is now, hey can you turn on some distorion? :)

SimAlex and BlueRiff like this.