Why Aren't Teens Interested in Boy Scouts These Days?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MustardCap, Feb 26, 2015.

1. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

I was a Boy Scout growing up, earned my Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow etc. Some of the best times I remember as a kid-- Hanging out with Friends, Exploring, Learning, Camping with my Dad and a big group. We would have a 2 day camping trip almost every 2-3 weeks--- Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall-- didn't matter. Our Son thinks it sounds interesting but in his local group there are only 4 other members-- and the Scoutmaster is quitting for lack of interest from the Kids.
    I know times change but I feel bad my Son probably won't experience the same joys I did. Any other Fathers out there dealing with the same?

2. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

3. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

I have a friend who is HUGE into the scouts thing. His son, who is now about 14 (?), has been doing it for years. They are always doing things with the scout group - camping, survival trips, etc. Seems like it is going strong to me at least from what he tells me. Perhaps your local group is just floundering??

EDIT: I also think your thread title is a blanket assumption based on you and your son's present situation.

4. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I am an Eagle Scout, and I am on the fence about scouting for personal reasons, I am not sure if that plays a part for other people or not. I really enjoyed my time and the friends I made in scouting, I also learned a lot. I think it is still generally a positive experience.

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Cause ZombieDoomsday Prepping is more au courant

6. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

My best friend was seriously involved in scouts for 3+ decades. He finally gave up because, in his words "The parents think it's daycare now."

7. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Most organizations that discriminate based on sexual orientation are not popular these days.

8. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

That is pretty much what we are feeling here. "Dad and Mom get a free night or weekend off without JR" No Volunteers-- nothing. Pretty hard to try to organize a trip for kids if the Parents do not want to get involved. I'm just wondering if that attitude rubs off onto the Kids because around here- very few Kids are interested.

9. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

10. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

Real life happens too slowly and boring to maintain the attention of children wired into social media, youtube, and video games. If the gratification is not instant and stimulation not substantial, they have little interest.
    I am a teacher and I think that is the crisis in education today.

The daycare comment applies to any activity for children. I don't mind coaching basketball, but I fume when adults do not show up for 30 minutes or an hour after practice ends. Or they are not coming and never call or text or anything.

11. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

Not an easy thing to achieve. Impressive!

12. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I tried to join. Apparently my chapter (or whatever it's called) just skipped doing anything at all that year due to lack of interest. That was about 30 years ago. I just wanted a knife and matches, and got those anyway, so I was happy.

13. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

This was a recent change, their policy was different for years, and they still exclude gay scout leaders, and they exclude atheists as well. I am neither gay, nor atheist, but I am an Eagle Scout and I fundamentally disagree with the Boy Scout leaders on these issues. They are free to run their organization as thy see fit, I just disagree with them, so I am conflicted, and I am not sure I would have my child (If I ever have one) be a part of the organization.

14. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I don't think disinterest in Boy Scouts is anything new. I sure wasn't interested back in the '60's either after being a Cub Scout and hating it. The kids in my "pack" were assholes for the most part. Once I discovered the British Invasion bands, the drums and rock 'n roll, that was it.

The Boy Scouts is perhaps considered an ancient and outdated organization to most teen boys today. It's a different world.

15. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I'm also an Eagle Scout (with a bronze and silver palm, no less). Earned my Arrow of Light, etc. I loved Scouts as a young man. Some of the greatest experiences of my life were had there, and my Scoutmaster remains the greatest man I have ever known. He taught more than anyone what it means to have honor, integrity, and a good work ethic.

I'm sad that the Boy Scouts seems to have fallen out of favor.

16. theroan

theroan Member

17. janosfia

janosfia Member

I have no sons so I can't speak for the boys of today, but when I was that age one of the biggest obstacles was sports. I played a few sports so I had little time to do other things. Despite that, I still earned my Eagle award. I also had very supportive parents who encouraged me to earn my Eagle and helped in any way they could.

18. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I wouldn't expose my kids to it, due to issue mentioned here. Discrimination isn't something I want my kids to learn in a formal manner. They'll have enough time avoiding it in their day to day lives.

19. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

My sentiments as well.

20. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I refuse to support them in any way until they stop discriminating.