Why aren’t the Visual Sound overdrives more popular?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by UrbanHymns, Mar 15, 2012.

1. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I recommend the Clean Boost (v2, i.e. current model). Has the nice buffer circuit in there and the clean boost does exactly that. I wish more pedals used the on/off switch like the one VS uses.
    Usefulness and quality always trump cosmetics. There are some butt-fugly pedals out there in PedalLand that are oversized and folks oooh and ahhh over them. The VS pedals are just different...but that's little ol' me just talking out of my a:warning:warning

2. edgie

edgie Member

The Jekyll and Hyde and the route 66 I had before are noisy when the gain is cranked....

....And I can't believe that 3 pages on, no one has mentioned yet that they're shaped like toilet bowls.

3. OMTerria

OMTerria Member

They're ugly as sin. The Comp side of the Route 66 was pretty cool though, but for my money I'd rather get something like the MXR Custom Comp.

4. 6Tones

6Tones Member

I have the ' garagetone drivetrain'.Pretty good OD,slight " blanketed " ts-9 tone but nice range of gain on it with more bite.

The visualsound 'Openroad'..sold it fast,has some artifact in the tone of the pedal I couldnt gel with.

5. HBob

HBob Member

I don't mind large pedals but I do mind fugly pedals. And they make a Vans Limited Edition pedal? Mmm, no. I also think the buffer absolutely sucks. Sucks bad. Real bad. Made every other dirt pedal in the chain sound like crap. Thanks, buffer! And the knobs. I don't like the knobs. They look like something an IT guy would pick out. Look around. See all the "cool" pedals? None of them are using the knobs you picked. None. Stop buying those knobs. And for Pete's sake stop putting them on your pedals. Other than that, they're okay.

6. jeffg

jeffg Supporting Member

No you mean they are shaped like bath tubs, no like tombstones, no like...

jwg

7. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Ben - one way or another, I don't want my pedal-builder to make a big deal about his politics, even if they are politics with which I agree. I just don't see the place for it.

8. jmaster67

jmaster67 Member

Well, I probably agree with many of the political/religious stances by the builder, which makes the made in China thing hypocritical. I'm not trying to start a religious or political discussion. I'm just saying that if you are going to be that out there with your beliefs (whatever they may be), you'd better be consistent down the line.

9. Defendant

Defendant Member

I find them unattractive but the main issue I have is that I have a pretty tight space on my pt2 for drives that barely fits a standard TS box. I have a son of Hyde pedal that would knock two pedals off my board and still have to sit sideways. So it sits at home and serves as a practice pedal.

10. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Again, not to get into any specifics, but I'd just prefer all advertisements to JUST focus on the product. If anything, using political/religious links/campaigns on a product's website seems like a very base way to attract customers.

11. jmaster67

jmaster67 Member

I basically agree with you on this aspect too. Too many people (of various opinions) tend to use their beliefs as an excuse for a low quality product.

12. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Member

I see home plates...
    [​IMG]

13. jmaster67

jmaster67 Member

Also, on the Chinese made point: If you want to have something made there, at least price your product accordingly.

14. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

If this is directed at the ARDX20 thing, it's worth noting that after basic assembly happens in china, they are shipped to Analogman Japan and further tweaked/refined. But, as a general point, I totally agree.

15. sutherland

sutherland Member

What does that exactly mean?

16. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

You're not alone. I disliked the harsh-sounding buffers in the early Visual Sound pedals. I've had no desire to check out their new stuff

17. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

I loved my Route 808 and Open Road... except that they were too big to fit on my Pedaltrain Nano alongside other mainstays. So they became back-up pedals to my Maxon OD808 and OCD. And therefore never got used again; and therefore did not survive a gear house-cleaning phase.

18. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Wow, never knew about that "light at the end of the tunnel" or whatever cultish link at the bottom.

Not only are their pedals big and ugly, their management is creepy!!!

Maybe that coffin shape is some cult symbolism and all the profit goes to their guru... LOL

19. jmaster67

jmaster67 Member

It was directed at VS.

It means it costs less to produce a pedal in China and import it than it does to produce it here. I don't have a problem paying extra for made in the USA. By the same token, if you are going to import something I want the resulting savings passed on to me as a customer. It would be like having to pay $4000 for an Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

20. aflynt

aflynt Member

Huh. The buffer in their Visual Volume sounds awesome with my rig and I normally hate buffers. Maybe they've changed them recently or I just have a quirky setup or something.

As for the religious affiliations, I think you could drive yourself batty trying to chase where your money goes with all the purchases you make day to day. Personally, I find pretty much 99% of the marketing and advertising I'm being constantly bombarded with everywhere I go (even when I'm staring at the floor waiting in line at the freaking supermarket) highly distasteful. In contrast, the nondescript hyperlink at the bottom of their webpage rates pretty low on my sliminess scale.

-Aaron