1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why Aren't There More 15's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soundchaser59, May 20, 2011.

1. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Been snooping around for some 15 inch speakers, made me wonder why they are not more popular?

Maybe it's just that I don't see them because people aren't letting go of them? Or are they really not used that much? Seems like 98% of the axe grinders use 12's....

I'm more and more impressed with the full sound that comes from a 15, even at low volumes.

2. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

Good question, and I'm guessing that they're perceived as too big to be portable by many folks. Personally, it's my favorite speaker size.

3. Lance

Lance Member

I think everyone should have at least one. I'll never part with my JBL D130F, EVAR!!!

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've only played one amp with a 15" speaker, a VVT Lindy Fralin with an Eminence Legend, and it sounds great. The amp weighs in at about 45 lbs. So not a featherweight but certainly plenty portable.

5. ES330

ES330 Member

I played a Victoria 1x15 and it was great !!

6. hogy

hogy Member

Because they suck. :dunno

7. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Supporting Member

My first tube amp was a Crate Vintage Club 1x15 combo and fell in love with the sound of the speaker. I'm contemplating building a 1x15 ext cab for my Fender Super Sonic combo...

8. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Says you! I like 'em...But I like just about everything. I guess it's because I can make 'em all sound pretty good...maybe you can't? :p

9. riffmeister

You really think that? Why?

10. hogy

hogy Member

11. riffmeister

Hogy's love for 15's: ;)

"That is exactly what a 15" speaker is all about. I hate those things with a passion, and I have tried them all.

There is only one solution to this: throw that speaker away, make a 2x10 or 1x12 baffle for the amp, and never look back.

My '59 Pro has 2 10s and it sounds glorious.

I went through every vintage 15" known to man and they all sucked. Ill defined bass drum like low end, thin but shrill highs, no mids."

I went through numerous vintage Jensen P15Rs, Ps, Qs, Ns, ribbed cones, smooth cones, original cones, recones, C15s, JBLs, Altecs, Oxfords,, even an EV that was so heavy it ripped the screws right out of the baffle. "Best" speaker was a big German made Isophon Alnico, which sucked a little less hard than all the others.

Next time you borrow that Pro, plug it into a real speaker cabinet and tell me what you're hearing."

:D

12. chervokas

chervokas Member

I love playing guitar through a 15" speaker especially for big cleans. There's really no substitute for the powerful, extended, uncompressed, undistorted bottom octave extension. Almost piano-like.

However, in a typical rock band context--with loud kick drum, bass guitar, a second electric guitar, often a keyboard player--playing typical rock arrangements with lots of lower mid energy from multiple instruments--the tone of a 15" speaker can get lost in the din where 12" speakers and especially 10" speakers--with their rolled off bottom octave performance relative to 15"s and their slightly faster response time (although much of this has to do with the damping factor of the amp/speaker interface and the amp/cab combo, too many people think you can plop any speaker into any cab and have it work, not true)--can often cut through better. I think this, as well as portability, is why 10s and 12s are more popular with rock guitarists than 15s.

But in a band where there's lots of space in the arrangements and the guitar is expected to fill a lot of room with a lush, full frequency sound, a 15 is fantastic.

I think you don't see them much on the market because, in response to the relatively limited demand for them, manufacturers today produce only a handful of guitar-voiced 15s--I can only think of around 4 guitar voiced 15s being made today.

13. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I have an old re-coned EV in a hacked up tuck n roll custom cab. Sound awesome. Its not for everything, but I like it with specific amps.

14. telecopter

telecopter Member

I tried, but don't care for them either.

15. pbmw

pbmw Member

I also think it's because a 10 or a 12 has better response in the mid and highs. Less mass to move and control.
    An array of 10's or 12's move just as much or more air.

16. wizard333

wizard333 Member

2x10s are faster responding and have more cone area, so theoretically, also more oomph in the fundamental.

17. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

Excellent sound in my Kendrick Lion VII (Pro cab) and Buffalo BA-70.

18. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Read the thread.....No offense, but the only conclusion I can safely reach from your opinions is that 15 inch speakers sound like suck to your ears with the other gear that you choose to use. Not every 15 inch speaker ever made sucks just because you cant use them. It would be much more fair to say there aren't any you like the sound of with the rig you use. I have almost the same opinions as you but about 10 and 8 inchers.

I understand about the big sound not fitting in well with some bands, that makes sense. Kinda reminds me of the "have a gun" argument.....rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it. If I dont need the 15 inch sound, I can redial my rig. If I do need it, it's there, SRV comes to mind in that case. Might not be able to do that if I only have 12's, and certainly cant do that with the 1x10 and 2x10 cabs I was using. The 2x10 Coyote is the best 10 inch based cab I've ever used, but it suddenly sounded kinda small and thin when I did side by side with the 1x15 slant. Aint nothing sucky about this 15 inch California, but maybe I'm not chasing the same kind of sound that hogy wants.

19. kovachian

kovachian Member

Ok, so hogy should've just prefaced his "suck" comment with:
    Seemed obvious to me, but evidently not so to others.

20. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I agree with soundchaser59. Horses for courses and all that jazz.

I don't know about the "IMHO" part with hogy. Sometimes he speaks in absolutes.