Why aren't there more boutique metal guitar makers?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Sid, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Sid

Sid Member

These are the few I am aware of
    Vik
    Daemoness
    Blackmachine
    BRJ

All of em make great guitars from what I hear(never played any)...all begin at the 3200$+ range

With the metal community growing tone conscious, and spending money on good gear....Im wondering why more builders arent making "metal" guitars...seems like there is a market here

Personally Id love to see a quality handmade instrument in the under 3k range for metal....right now my Tom Anderson does the brutalz pretty dam well:D

2. slpayne

slpayne Member

Around here (Here is Charlotte, NC and Lynchburg, VA) the metal community isn't tremendously tone concious...the standard for years has been an ibanez/esp through a mesa, and most metal players don't make enough money from gigging (main guitar buying money for alot of people) to cash out even $1500 plus for a guitar or amp. Most metal players here tend to just drop tune, get as much distortion as possible without too much feedback, and just PLAY and make music...they arent as tone conscious as, say, the P&W guys (which i am one of) or jazzers (which i am as well) or classic rock cover guys that are trying to recreate "that vintage tone"...just my $.02

3. narad

narad Supporting Member

Requires a definition of "metal guitar".

Additionally, a lot of the discussion around here is about things you don't get in production instruments: does BRW matter? what's more PAF-like? NOS caps? How long are the bridge studs? But how much does a custom metal guitar differ from a production one? Usually not terribly far IMO.

Arguably you could add Caparison, Jaden Rose, Decibel, Mayones, Oni, and maybe even Strandberg and Toone to that list.

4. Sid

Sid Member

I guess my view is skewed by the hordes of internet/youtube musicians who seem to be obsessing over metal tone ... i guess the "metal" session musicians do have a tougher time than jazz/rock musicians? purely on a supply demand perspective

true to a certain extend I'd say....if this were the 80's where the top metal bands like slayer,megadeth etc really had poor production and were more chug and power chord oriented i'd agree....but over time and especially in the last few years....Id say metal has evolved a lot to incorporate large chords, clean tones....many bands have gone lower gain.....opeth,sikth,periphery,textures,cloudkicker, chimpspanner etc....

gone are the days of throw some EMGs on there and plug into a cranked mesa....pickup makers like bareknuckle have various pickups for slight differences in tones.....lots of boutique metal amps like diezel,dar,engl,framus etc....all sounding different.....just seeing videos and comments on youtube makes me think that the metal crowd is highly passionate about gear now....

and thanks for those other names...i forgot about caparison and mayones...the others i hadnt heard of before.....most of these names seem to be in europe and england....

5. celticelk

celticelk Member

Spend some time over at sevenstring.org - lots of guys of there playing customs (including some 6-strings!) for metal, and more than willing to go on at length about their toys.

6. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Check out GMP and GMW

http://www.gmpguitars.com/index.html

http://www.gmwguitars.com/

7. narad

narad Supporting Member

Metal has evolved, but most of those bands are still using lightly modified ibanez, or ESP, or even Gibson, so it's like...why make the distinction between guitar / metal guitar. I could get something typical TGP - like a Gustavsson 7 - drop some Lundgren M7s into it with a setup job, and I really wouldn't expect it to bring anything less to the table (as long as the scale length was 25.5)

Guerilla guitars also.

8. s2y

s2y Member

Exactly. What makes them "metal"?

9. s2y

s2y Member

Both are great. Dan Lawerence does a heck of a lot of paintjobs and builds/owns GMP.

GMW has built me many a guitar. Top notch work and not terribly expensive, which is nice given that I'm a bit of a gear whore.

10. octatonic

octatonic Member

Hufschmid as well.

11. narad

narad Supporting Member

Amfisound and Strictly7 too. And I still know I'm missing a ton of them. KxK too. There's really quite a few, and when you combine that with how the production market seems to cater to that community quite well compared to Gibson and Fender getting to the 50s-obsessed TGP crowd.

12. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

@#$%ing Monson = where it's at

[​IMG]

13. narad

narad Supporting Member

Kill it with fire!

(Many would say the same about my Daemoness though :p)

14. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

My guess is money. Or lack there of. Not a very interesting or unexpected answer for you I'm afraid.

Monson would be my choice as well. I'm seriously considering getting one of these.

15. beorn

beorn Member

As usual, narad has made practically all the points I would have.

The only other one I'll make is this: Metal hasn't been around long enough.

Forget the metal session musicians and metal band members -- I'm talking about the accountants and middle managers who, in their youth, were headbangers.

Wait another ten years. The kids who listened to Metallica in their teens will hit their 50s; they'll be making more; and they'll be looking around for the toys they couldn't afford back in the day -- just like the Les Paul-focused Led Zeppelin crowd is doing right now.

Boutique builders will sense that change in the wind, and you'll see more pointy headstocks and 24-fret necks.

16. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Most custom builders will build guitars to your specs. If you order a guitar with whatever specs constitute a metal guitar, you'll get one.

17. billyreal

billyreal Member

18. shadpeters

shadpeters Member

some of the first guitars I ever made were "metalish" guitars. I had (and still have) lots of headbanger freinds. The main thing is they dont have any money.. all the metal guitarist i knew were poor, and barely had gas money to get to the gig, let alone drop a few grand on a guitar. I think beorn hit the nail on the head, wait a few years, and things will be different.

19. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Cause you can get boutique features at standard prices.

Factor in all the used guitars floating around from the hair metal days, and there are a lot of options for pointy jumbo fret floyd guitars out there already.

Plus as said before, there are plenty of boutique or custom metal guitars available.

dk

20. s2y

s2y Member

Probably why everyone isn't using boutique gear. If'n you throw enough $ at a problem, you can make just about anything happen.