Why aren't vintage amps like vintage cars?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IPlayHamers, Apr 30, 2005.

1. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

In the vintage car world, a fully restored to original spec vehicle is worth alot more than a beat up junker. Why doesn't the same hold true for vintage amps?

I see so many amps that are in need of restoration, but for the sake of originality most are left untouched. Personally, I use my amps and if a restoration is needed to bring it up to par sonically and visually, so be it. As long as the amps original tone and specs were left intact, it should be a given that you'd want to restore that beat up Bassman or tolex challenged AC30.

Mind you this is my opinion and I'd love to hear from those of you on both sides of the fence.

2. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Your right about a beat up old clunker but a mint original classic car is worth more then a restore. In classic cars it can cost more to fully restore a car then the car is ever worth. While with amps it doesn't cost much to restore them so original is worth more. With cars a poor restoration can make the car worth even less then a unrestored clunker. With amps a poor restoration is worse then no restoration. :)

Restoration washes away the MOJO:dude

3. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

The guy next door to me restores vintage Ferraris. They are frequently those sports cars from the 1960s but some of them are the racing sort.

I get the impression the top dollar gets paid and then these museum quality things get driven in a Concours d'Elegance if at all. Yeah, the loop of road I live on is pretty rural and about once a year they spin one of the Ferraris around it, maybe at 50 mph, but that's about a quarter mile total and I've never seen more than one lap at a time.

Now when I buy an amp it's going to get played in studios for sure, and not at all unlikely to be roaded and played in gigs. (My Jake went out of town for a week of touring yesterday.) Stuff often comes back with minor wear, sometimes more. No Concours d'Elegance for these pieces.

I do entertain the fantasy that someone will make great music with these things though. And how _authentic_ the amp is doesn't count for squat there. Artists frequently have mods that get away from original spec.

4. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I can't stand retweeds and I can't think of any retweed I've liked more than an original, regardless of condition. I'll regrill if there are huge stains or tears larger than an inch or two. I feel just slightly better about recovers with tolex if there's some SERIOUS damage.
    I guess it's because restoring to new just looks too... NEW!
    :D

Here's my goal:

restore anything sonically if needed
    but
    leave the cosmetics alone if at all possible

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

Not much mojo in the original carburetor. ;)

6. MoJo is getting more and more expensive... kinda like gas.

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

2 different animals........what is a cars appeal? Pretty paint to start. the looks of a car is everything. It means coolness and stature. Otherwise we would all own Honda Civics. ;)

A well worn looking amp appeals to some people ......same for the guitars. I think Tom Murphy Paint jobs are a joke for the amount of money Gibson charges.............different strokes I guess. :cool:

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Mouthfull there bud!! ;)

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Actually - just like gas - mojo is quite cheap in real terms, historically.

:)

Work out what an original BF Fender, Plexi Marshall or Mk1 Boogie cost in today's money when it was new, and you'll find that modern boutique amps are not at all expensive.

But then you have to get into whether it's the same sort of mojo ;). Unleaded (or is that unLed-ed ;)) maybe isn't as desirable...

10. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

True but then that's true with many things collectable.

I call it the P-SRV syndrome. i Don't remember strats going for
    the $$ they did till SRV played a tore up one. as any guitar show attendee will see, a fender beat to hell is near an EX version of the same
    guitar. VDG

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I expect SGs with original fool paint jobs are a bit inflated too. Then there is that guitar which has "ELVI" on it. It's not just SRV.

12. mbratch

mbratch Member

And what's up with this "relic" stuff that companies like Fender sell now? Talk about catering to the poser market...

13. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

And why do they cost more than a new looking guitar. Next they'll be selling a Bassman Reissue with ripped tolex and beer stained grill for $3000. And I bet some idiots will but them too.

14. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

:jo :FM ........the guy told me evh drank the beer and it would double in value

15. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

Not if you have ever owned an XKE with stromberg's, they have a LOT of mojo...... all bad :D VDG