• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why avoid Mesa Mark V

IanRubbish

I bought one, sold it, tried other stuff, bought another one. I have a diverse collection of guitars and it has a sound that works with all of them.

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
I’d rather have too many options than too few. I’d take it. I’ve had one for several months and it’s wonderful.

I had the Mark V for a while. Spent more time tweaking than playing. There are a ton of tones to be had but deciding on three I loved was never ending. Fun amp, though.

I say do it, play with it a while. If you don’t dig it, trade it for something you will.

Edoardo_P

Years down the road, when you’re still waiting for that money from your pal, you will wish you had taken the amp. If you don’t like it, sell it. He will eventually sell it to someone else and still not pay you. Wake up.
THIS!!!

Take the amp!

I don't know why most people here are treating this post as a "should I buy" post.

We're talking about cutting losses here. And maybe saving a friendship.

There is like a 20% - 30% premium on the debt. (i.e. the amps run used for approximately 25% more than what he owes me).

I am kind of intrigued, even though it is not a full GAS. I would never buy it for the full price.
This is a seller's market. it is counter-intuitive, but this has been a seller's market for the last six months or so.

So... Take the amp! It is a great amp. If you like it, you like it. And if you don't like it, you can (discretely) sell it yourself and keep the money in the bank - or use it however you please.

Yeah, one free life lesson for you: do NOT tell your friend you may be selling it.

Broke people and unreliable people react in weird ways when the "cash option" is back on the table. Oh, so you wanna make money off MY amp, aye? How much are we talkin'?

Don't tell him you may sell it. Don't tell him it is a seller's market. Because I can guarantee, he'll want to chime in on the sale of YOUR amp.

This, or he'll eventually sell it himself (cause he's broke nonetheless) and you'll never see the money back anyway, because giving you the money back hasn't been, isn't, nor won't be among his priorities in the foreseeable future.

I bet he is already looking at used prices and changing his mind. Go take that damn amp.

Just tell him "you know what? Fine. I'm taking your amp. And we're even. I'll get over it, but I understand.
There's COVID outside, so no one is gonna buy it anyway. I'm making you a favor. yadda yadda."

And when you sell it, tell him you've traded it for a new set of tires or something. Make something up.

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING ON THAT AMP WORKS, take the amp, bring it home ASAP, and wake up!

And... Enjoy your "free" amp!

Cheers!

Last edited:

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
READ THE MANUAL!!!!
YES--it is a complex amp. If you read the manual and learn HOW this amp works you will be getting an absolute armory for performance, recording, rehearsal and at home playing.
The double master volume alone makes this amp worth the price of admission. The Mk.V sounds awesome at any, and I mean ANY volume.
The worst thing about a Mesa Mk.V is you're done shopping for amps.
But once again, as you should any Mesa---READ THE MANUAL.

Pick53766

Thanks everybody. Maybe I forgot to mention an important thing. I have a couple of amps and I am happy with them. I was in no way selecting an amp or shopping for an amp. I don't need an amp, what I have is fine.

If I were in need of an amp, I would jump at this immediately.

Edoardo_P

Thanks everybody. Maybe I forgot to mention an important thing. I have a couple of amps and I am happy with them. I was in no way selecting an amp or shopping for an amp. I don't need an amp, what I have is fine.

Well, that's another matter. Again, it's a seller's market these days. Forget about the money. It's likely gone anyway. Take your "new" amp home. Have some fun with it. And then decide on which amp to sell :aok

Hi,

so my mate owes me quite a substantial chunk of cash. He is as broke as a guitarist but he is willing to part with his Mesa Mark V instead (head, the big one).
I don't know a thing about Mesa, except for that they are well respected, good amps. No idea about the lines, models, history, whatever. I have no bloody idea.

I reckon Mesa is typically connected to harder music, progressive stuff and the like. Me myself, I am a single coil Strat person with clean pedal platforms and a nice pedal board who will play classic rock, some artsy nonsense and some indie. What the heck would I do with a Mesa. Arcade Fire don't play no damn Mesa's.

Well, I checked some reviews and demos and it seems to me that this Mark V thing can do pretty much anything you want it to, including cleans, dirty cleans, large headroom cleans (read: pedal cleans), classic rock, metal, anything. Tweakable as hell. Despite its power it looks like a dream recording amp (important for me).

I will rarely use the metal side. I will rarely gig it. There will be pedals in front of it. It will be asked to take Telecasters, Jazzmasters and Strats. It may not see a humbucker in a year. It will be asked to play Arcade Fire :)

Is this a bad idea and a complete nonsense? There is like a 20% - 30% premium on the debt. (i.e. the amps run used for approximately 25% more than what he owes me).

I am kind of intrigued, even though it is not a full GAS. I would never buy it for the full price.
Here's how I look at it. If you like the amp and want it to be a combo, Mesa sells combo shells. You can just go to a retailer and order one. Then sell the head shell on reverb for $200.

If you don't like the amp... is the debt more than $1.5k? If so, just take the cash if you think you will get the cash. If you think this is the only payment you will receive, then just take the amp and sell it. You could expect probably $1750 if the thing is in really good condition opposed to the pre-covid market of about $1400.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I could be convinced to change my view if the OP feels that there is a reasonable chance the debtor/amp owner is likely not good for the cash in the near future - sounds like that may be the case. I'll also agree you need to check the amp over before you take it and make sure everything works. Otherwise, I'm still in the "wait for the cash" crowd.

kafka

Why not a Mesa Mk V 90W?

Well, I find it to be a very aggressive amp. It doesn't do laid back the way a Fender Twin does. The cleans are really nice cleans, but if you want that big rounded Fender sound, then the Mk V probaby won't be your cup of tea. It's just a different flavor. And they're heavy. Those are maybe the main reasons. Otherwise, Mesa has put an awful lot of amp in one box.

There's definitely more in there than what they cost - particularly used. I don't know who would really use all the options, but that's kind of the point. I think the 10W mode sounds pretty good, especially with the gain channel, which I hardly use. So it's everything from bedroom up to stage volumes.

I'd take the offer if I wanted it as an amp. Or maybe if your friend will really never be able to pay off the debt otherwise. Otherwise, let it go to someone who wants it. There isn't really any reason to accumulate gear unless it works for you as a musician. It'll never be a collector's item, so it's not like you're preserving it for future archaeologists or something.

Last edited:

jeff5371

Gold Supporting Member
The Mark V is one of the most versatile amps on the planet. I've seen Jazz and Country guys play them. The high gain side is only a small piece of the amp. When I had one, I actually preferred the clean and low gain tones to the high gain tones on the amp. (And I am mostly a high gain player)

DV52

Take the amp , your friend is a good one and does not want to continue to owe you . If you don't need the money tell him to pay up when he can.

If he is the kind of guy that never seems to scratch it out ,then you have to decide. It is a cool amp . Not for every one but it is very nice !!

Pastafarian

Hi,

so my mate owes me quite a substantial chunk of cash. He is as broke as a guitarist but he is willing to part with his Mesa Mark V instead (head, the big one).
I don't know a thing about Mesa, except for that they are well respected, good amps. No idea about the lines, models, history, whatever. I have no bloody idea.

I reckon Mesa is typically connected to harder music, progressive stuff and the like. Me myself, I am a single coil Strat person with clean pedal platforms and a nice pedal board who will play classic rock, some artsy nonsense and some indie. What the heck would I do with a Mesa. Arcade Fire don't play no damn Mesa's.

Well, I checked some reviews and demos and it seems to me that this Mark V thing can do pretty much anything you want it to, including cleans, dirty cleans, large headroom cleans (read: pedal cleans), classic rock, metal, anything. Tweakable as hell. Despite its power it looks like a dream recording amp (important for me).

I will rarely use the metal side. I will rarely gig it. There will be pedals in front of it. It will be asked to take Telecasters, Jazzmasters and Strats. It may not see a humbucker in a year. It will be asked to play Arcade Fire :)

Is this a bad idea and a complete nonsense? There is like a 20% - 30% premium on the debt. (i.e. the amps run used for approximately 25% more than what he owes me).

I don't regret selling mine but that was because I doubled my money. It's a fantastic amp that can do ANYTHING. I had the 90w combo in Bronco White. Loved it to pieces but it just isn't what I need these days.

Anomaly

The Mark V is my favorite of the series, aside from the IIC+ which is way more expensive. I've never really understood why people don't like them, they sound way better than the IV which everyone seems to love. That Crunch setting on Ch2 o_O
The V's cleans and crunch tones are to die for, but the Mark IV's lead channel is better than the V's. Which is why I prefer the IV to the V, I'm on the lead channel 90% of the time. The lead channel of the IV has a lot of different voicings and power options and it has me completely content about my tone, it's a very inspiring amp to play. The cleans on the IV are pretty good to, and I do like R2, but that's what the main complaints are about... R2.

Last edited:

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I've had one for about 6 years. It is by far the most versatile amp I have owned. It's like having your choice of 9 preamps and 3 power sections. It covers Heavy Mesa "Mark" tones well and has some good Fender and Marshall inspired tones in there. It has way more features than I need; I don't need the reverb, GEQ, loop, or solo functions. It's definitely not just a Metal amp.

That said, I own several nice amps. If I want a "Mark" tone, then I use the Mark V. If I want a Fender or Marshall tone, then I usually use a Fender or Marshall (or clone.) But if you don't have those amps, then it's great to have the Mark. And the Mark is cool when you want something a little different. My Tweed Deluxe doesn't sound the same as the Mark in Tweed mode at 90W. And that is nice to have those extra options. High gain and cleans are solid but I think the mid-gain tones are its weak point. And I don't spend a lot of time playing high gain tones so I don't play the Mark V so much anymore. I think other amps I have do the clean and mid gain stuff better.

Mine does have an issue which is hard to reproduce.

They are a great choice if you want a versatile amp. If you want, say an AC30, then it's the wrong amp for you.

Trending Topics