Why Block A Tremolo On A Guitar?

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by HaywireGuitars, Feb 27, 2012.

1. HaywireGuitars

HaywireGuitars Member

See Builders Forum

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. straightblues

straightblues Member

I block mine because I don't use the trem. I put a trem bridge in because I think the springs and the trem bridge themselves ad to the Strat tone.

3. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

ehhh...double stop bends?

4. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

The great thing about owning multiple Strats is that you can set them up differently. My main American Standard is a 2-point trem that I keep floating, and it stays in tune remarkably well, and also feels smoother than the vintage type. I can do anything short of massive dive bombs and it stays in tune. I like being able to do those little whammy warbles like Brad Gillis and Satriani, too.

My others are currently "blocked" like Eric Johnson's, with 5 springs, and they're both vintage 6-screws. I like them both ways, and just adapt to the guitar or pick the guitar that suits what I need.

5. Honk

Honk Member

I'm not sure that this is the correct definition of blocked, OP.

6. rspencer

rspencer Member

Agreed. This would be more often referred to as "decked."
    "Blocked" usually implies that an actual wooden "block" has been placed to maintain a static position for the trem.

7. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

If you try using a Hipshot Tremsetter with a Floyd Rose you will find you can tighten it to allow double stop bends that stay in tune and still dive bomb and return to pitch.
    Does it feel as loose as a floating trem..... NO
    but it lets you cover all your ground and once you get used to the tighter feel of the trem, it is the best of both worlds.
    I would say it would have the same feel as a decked trem...
    Now with that said, I do have a blocked trem Strat.
    But I want all my guitars to play the way I want them to, so the Tremsetter allows me the ability to play that one guitar any way I want.

8. shane88

shane88 Member

yep

9. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

1- String almost never return to zero after a dive bomb. Not true IME if the guitar is well set up.
    2- If one string breaks, the rest of strings go out of tune because of tension change. True. But most people don't continue playing with a broken string.
    3- Intonation is less inaccurate and take much longer. Nonsense!
    4-Bending just “One String” will cause other strings to go out of tune. Yes, but it depends on the set up.
    5- Other musicians playing with you will not be in tune. WTF?

10. AD_

AD_ Member

I have repeatedly gone back and forth between 'decked', 'floating', and 'blocked' with my Strat. Right now I have it properly set up as floating. It stays in tune pretty well for what it is, a vintage-style Fender trem. I occasionally have to adjust a string or two during playing. Then again, if I use the trem at all it is for small accent vibrato, I don't do any major "dive bombs" with my playing. I think this is what the vintage-style was originally designed for, as it works very well and stays in tune as long as you don't go crazy with it. The bar requires very little motion at all to get a nice vibrato going.

A floating-style strat will go extremely out of tune if you break a string. With that said, I have never broken a string while playing, ever. I do bends often and play with a pick.

Intonation doesn't really take much longer, nor is it any more difficult when floated vs. blocked or lowered all the way. Intonation had to be readjusted after the change, but is no more difficult. Maybe it takes slightly longer, due to having to retune each string after each adjustment.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  11. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I 'deck' most of mine (other than the ones with flat wounds basically) but I've never 'blocked' one at all.

I set mine up so that I can bend a half a step on the high E, a full step on the B and a minor third on the G without the trem moving. This allows the trem to still move a bit, but it's certainly not as wiggly' as a more traditional, surf-type setup.

12. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I blocked my Floyd Rose trem.
    Never really used the damn thing anymore anyway so now it's like a hardtail with fine-tuning. I dig it.

13. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Sorry but this post looks a little spammy. It is ad copy.

14. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

15. chrisforshage

chrisforshage Supporting Member