• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Why booster at the end of chain?

Rococco

Just wondering why do you guys put an always on booster at the end of the chain (NOT as solo boost) & how do you set it up with your amp's (volume/eq) settings? What are you trying to achieve specifically on non master volume amps?

Would the ones with high headroom works better for this application since you'll be stacking so much pedals into it so your signal won't get mushy when hitting one or more gain stages and not letting any additional volume to pass through? Which could be a problem when you need a high dynamics in loud band situations.

Give me examples of few good pedals that excel in this position.

I'm looking at Vertex and Barber Launch Pad at the moment as they claimed to have high headroom.

Thanks!

Last edited:

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
If needed I use a '80 TC Electronics boost or a Creation Audio boost, mostly to compensate for a weak pick-up.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I put it at the end of the chain to avoid overloading or over driving anything other than the amp. Barber Launch Pad for me, although I have also used very low gain settings on a Wampler Euphoria.

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
Can't speak to an always-on pedal so my reply may be pointless for you.
I use a boost both front & back of the chain for different reasons and run several dirts between them
(Plexidrive Deluxe, Megalith Delta, SCOD)
Front boost is a Mythical OD used to fatten up/punch dirt after it.
End boost is a Soul Food used to add a bite & volume to dirt before it.
Also use my amp's 5-band EQ (Mesa DC5 combo) as a "more" boost for anything I'm running.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I use one at the end of my chain but its only on for a solo boost, Barber Launch Pad is excellent.

Bopcat

Platinum Supporting Member
Playing at home I can't turn up the volume on my NMV amps to get second gain stage clipping. I use a booster as the last pedal in my chain to push the first gain stage and get it to clip while the overall volume is relatively low.

ellsworthman

The Geezer of Gear
Gold Supporting Member
Playing at home I can't turn up the volume on my NMV amps to get second gain stage clipping. I use a booster as the last pedal in my chain to push the first gain stage and get it to clip while the overall volume is relatively low.
I've done the same thing before when recording late at night and not wanting to disturb the wife...did it with a Fulltone FatBoost, it worked great.

Rococco

I've done the same thing before when recording late at night and not wanting to disturb the wife...did it with a Fulltone FatBoost, it worked great.
Don't you think we'll have more control with an OD pedals instead for that application/situation?

Rococco

I put it at the end of the chain to avoid overloading or over driving anything other than the amp. Barber Launch Pad for me, although I have also used very low gain settings on a Wampler Euphoria.
I'm really interested to this this approach and kind of related to my initial reason of making this thread. Please tell me more details about this application, Brian.

ellsworthman

The Geezer of Gear
Gold Supporting Member
To my personal ears, it worked well...I was pairing it with a Vibrolux clone, they seemed to play well together. The amp sounded a bit beefier at low volumes to me than some of the ODs I tried at the back end. I should have added that I was running various ODs (KTR, Archer, Soul Food, even a Joyo Vintage OD) toward the front of the chain...front and back combo gave a nice push to the sound. I've since got an MV amp (Vox AC15), the FatBoost is lone gone.

Bopcat

I use the booster to push the amp and establish a baseline tone and volume. I use various ODs, distortion and fuzz pedals but at lower volume levels and not pushing the booster. This also avoids overdriving a delay pedal which follows the dirt pedals and precedes the booster.

Desperado

Vertex Effects, Inc.
Just wondering why do you guys put an always on booster at the end of the chain (NOT as solo boost) & how do you set it up with your amp's (volume/eq) settings? What are you trying to achieve specifically on non master volume amps?

Would the ones with high headroom works better for this application since you'll be stacking so much pedals into it so your signal won't get mushy when hitting one or more gain stages and not letting any additional volume to pass through? Which could be a problem when you need a high dynamics in loud band situations.

Give me examples of few good pedals that excel in this position.

I'm looking at Vertex and Barber Launch Pad at the moment as they claimed to have high headroom.

Thanks!
The Vertex Boost won't be overloaded by pedals coming before it, distortion or otherwise. It too operates internally with a higher voltage than the 9VDC coming in on the input. The only possible clipping that you could get when using the Vertex Boost, is by overloading the signal going into the amplifier, but that would be the amp clipping, not the Boost pedal. If you want to check it out we have a 30-day risk free money back guarantee return policy and free shipping worldwide. Feel free to email me or call anytime:

email - mason@vertexeffects.com
phone - 510-863-0612

Rococco

The Vertex Boost won't be overloaded by pedals coming before it, distortion or otherwise. It too operates internally with a higher voltage than the 9VDC coming in on the input. The only possible clipping that you could get when using the Vertex Boost, is by overloading the signal going into the amplifier, but that would be the amp clipping, not the Boost pedal. If you want to check it out we have a 30-day risk free money back guarantee return policy and free shipping worldwide. Feel free to email me or call anytime:

email - mason@vertexeffects.com
phone - 510-863-0612

Thanks for chiming in, Mason. Your pedal is on the top of my list

Desperado

Vertex Effects, Inc.
Thanks for chiming in, Mason. Your pedal is on the top of my list
My pleasure! Please don't hesitate to ring me up or email me, even if you want me to hip you to some other Boosts that you might not have considered from other manufacturers.

Bopcat

Rococco, if you have a booster and a NMV amp, try this. guitar > dirt pedal > booster > amp. Start with the guitar's lowest output pickup with volume and tone at 10. Turn amp volume all the way down and the booster at 12:00. Strum a chord and turn the amp volume up to a comfortable level and play for a while. You may like it better with the boost up more and the amp volume lower or vice versa. You may need to tweak the amp tone settings. Then add the OD pedal. Should sound good at low volumes.
My favorite setup is a Telecaster > AM Sunface Fuzz > AM modded BD-2 > AM ARDX20 > ARC Klone > Allen Sweet Spot.

Rococco

Rococco, if you have a booster and a NMV amp, try this. guitar > dirt pedal > booster > amp. Start with the guitar's lowest output pickup with volume and tone at 10. Turn amp volume all the way down and the booster at 12:00. Strum a chord and turn the amp volume up to a comfortable level and play for a while. You may like it better with the boost up more and the amp volume lower or vice versa. You may need to tweak the amp tone settings. Then add the OD pedal. Should sound good at low volumes.
My favorite setup is a Telecaster > AM Sunface Fuzz > AM modded BD-2 > AM ARDX20 > ARC Klone > Allen Sweet Spot.
Thank you for the input, Bopcat! I'll definitely try it at band setting tonight. I'm using an Arc Klone as well.

My signal is an AVRI Jaguar > Mini OD > Klone > Rat > Delay > 69 Super Reverb

I've been struggling with gain stages in live/band situation. Most of the time, when I kick on the Rat (gain low) for heavier chord works, it's just mushed and overly flub by and compressed. I set my amp at around 3.5-4 on the volume. Pretty sure it still has more headroom juice on it since I set all gain on the pedals fairly low do to the stacking nature.

I heard rats don't like to be stacked so that might be the problem (?). But some pedals just don't allow any volume boost pass through them when stacked, just dirtier and drown by the dynamics of drums playing in harder parts of songs.

Therefore I'm trying to figure out different approach to get the dynamics that I need at the level and amount of dirt that I like for my application. Wondering if the boost pedals will allow the hotter pedals with louder volume pass through it if I put it last in chain or gain chain when I set it just enough to get a slight breakups from the amp.

Bopcat

My other board is AM modded OD-9 > Soothsayer (Rat clone) > Memory Lane Jr > RC Booster. Love that lower gain Rat sound!
I've had better results with my Klone last. If you have time, try your pedal board as is BUT with the Klone into the Fender. Get a good sound with just the Klone and amp, then add the other pedals. should be good.

Rococco

My other board is AM modded OD-9 > Soothsayer (Rat clone) > Memory Lane Jr > RC Booster. Love that lower gain Rat sound!
I've had better results with my Klone last. If you have time, try your pedal board as is BUT with the Klone into the Fender. Get a good sound with just the Klone and amp, then add the other pedals. should be good.
Definitely will try this and tinker around with the chain tonight. Thank you!

Trending Topics