• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Why buy anyones CD's anymore or purchased downloads?

Revelation

If you use Spotify, or Apple Music you can hear any album by any artist in their library. So why buy any CD or purchased download?

The next question is how do artist make money if you just listen on the music apps....do they get 10 cents every time you play one of their songs on the music app?

Nebakanezer

I sent my dad a cd via Amazon the other week but it’s been years since I bought one for myself and I would venture to bet that the last few I did buy were at the mercy table. We have both Spotify and iTunes accounts and be get our money’s worth, so I don’t mind paying for two accounts.

kidvox

People want to support the artist and collect their materials.

A lot of people like collecting the physical copy.

There’s a huge vinyl movement that’s driven by collection and the fun little ritual of putting it on and dropping the needle.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
I honestly don’t even know how to get a CD to load on my iPhone anymore.
Exactly how they want it! I still have my cds, but if my digital copies got hosed, it would be more difficult as time goes by to re-record them. Laptops don’t have cd/dvd drives anymore.
I’m sure there would be solutions, but it’ll probably cost me!

KRosser

If you use Spotify, or Apple Music you can hear any album by any artist in their library. So why buy any CD or purchased download?
1) Because so much great music is missing from Spotify
2) Because the audio quality of Spotify streaming is inferior to CD audio
3) Because if Spotify goes out of business I lose my music collection
4) Numbers 1, 2, and 3 may not matter to the average music consumer but they do to me - a lot
5) I am a Spotify subscriber but to me it functions much like radio used to function - I use it to discover things I want to buy. "Back in the day", radio would never be my primary source of listening to music, but it would feed that primary source sometimes.

Last edited:

Lobster

I like the physical product. It supports the artist too. Streams pay fractions of a penny.

Maybe if people had to actually pay for the music that they listen to, they would appreciate the art.

Maybe if artists saw that people had to commit their hard earned money to purchase their product, they would put more thought, time, and effort into their music.

Todd1357

Yep, it's the best way to support an artist short of buying concert tickets. I actually still buy cds, but I use spotify to discover albums/artists. I will always love a physical album more than digital. I love picking through my music library deciding what to listen to.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
To support the artist. I do enjoy spotify - but, unlike traditional radio, it really doesn't pay. I get a check for like 1.5m plays per year from a band I was in awhile back... It's enough for a good fast food burger meal.

Especially rn now that live shows are down for the most part.

PdL

Platinum Supporting Member

The next question is how do artist make money if you just listen on the music apps....do they get 10 cents every time you play one of their songs on the music app?
No doubt your favorite new(er) bands applaud your decision to forgo supporting them financially. :facepalm

I care about as much about artists quarterly earnings as anyone in this thread cares about mine... I just enjoy having physical copies of things and have amassed quite a collection across a number of mediums. That said I’ve networked our main house with Chromecast audio receivers attached to several systems and use Spotify as the main player just based on ease of use/accessibility:red

If an artist moves me enough, and there are actually shows happening, I’ll go see them, buy their merch, and likely buy their album:idea

bluesuede

Why purchase music? If you value the music and would like to always have access to it, you purchase it and maintain physical copies. If a streaming service loses the license to that piece of music or decide they don't want to provide it anymore (a very real possibility given the current cancel culture), then you lose access to that music if you are relying on a streaming service to provide it to you. Secondly, the artists don't make money from streaming. A good recording of musicians playing real instruments costs quite a bit of money to produce. If the only new music you are a fan of is laptop produced pop, I guess that's not an issue. But even with today's technology, there is no substitute for a good sounding room, great equipment, and talented engineers and producers. With music sales, musicians have a chance at earning enough royalties to cover the production costs of their music and maybe even profiting from it. With streaming, most artists don't stand a chance of recouping the costs of making a quality recording. So for those who truly value quality recordings of music, the virtues of purchasing music are quite obvious.

bluesuede

Exactly how they want it! I still have my cds, but if my digital copies got hosed, it would be more difficult as time goes by to re-record them. Laptops don’t have cd/dvd drives anymore.
I’m sure there would be solutions, but it’ll probably cost me!
I just purchased a $500 brand new laptop with a DVD drive. An external DVD writer can be purchased for $25 for those without one.

Personally, I subscribe to Qobuz for convenience and to check out stuff I'm interested in but unfamiliar with. I do own about 1000 CDs and still purchase CDs of music that I value.

Trending Topics