Why buy Supro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Slashaholic Anonymous, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Slashaholic Anonymous

Slashaholic Anonymous Supporting Member

Genuine question about a brand that I don't know a lot about except that it's been around a very long time. Carry a professional gear price tag and seem well regarded.

YouTube videos (terrible way to judge tone) I've watched of Supro amps sound kind of Vox-y, but a little cleaner and less compressed. Are they a British voiced version of Fender Blackface amps?

Does Supro as a brand have a signature sound/characteristic that sets it apart from the pack?

Not in the market for a new amp, I just like amps and enjoy learning about different manufacturers outside the Fender, Marshall, Vox, Orange, and Mesa Boogie.

Coldacre likes this.
  2. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

Seems like a decent amp to me...

BlueRiff, candid_x, joeprs and 5 others like this.
  3. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

They for sure have their own sound from what I can tell. I've played a few and they are cool. Honestly, people know that Jimmy Page used one to get some of his good overdriven tones and that's enough to keep interest! I'm sure they have changed a lot since back then but they are really cool amps. I like your description of a Vox-y but with less compression. Thats about right. I tend to think of them somewhere between Vox and Marshall tonally. They've got a cool grind to them.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  4. Slashaholic Anonymous

I gladly agree. Sounds great! But I do have to call foul play; not fair to provide a video demo'ed by a member of Guns n Roses when I'm a huge fan (less so of Slash-less GnR, but still a fan). I'm automatically biased in favor of the gear demo'ed. Marketing at its finest.

5. Slashaholic Anonymous

Awesome, thanks for the thoughtful reply. Wish stores nearby carried Supro so I can try one out in person. Maybe it's for the best though. Less temptation to buy.

6. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Heard some great things about the Black Magic. Seems like they are nicely priced, and they seem to offer a really nice amp for the money.

7. Serenity

Serenity Member

I only have two amps on my GAS list and the Black Magick is one of them. I've been really tempted with the new Supro's ever since the brand was relaunched. They sound great, are well built, and if they're good enough for guys like Richard Fortus and Joe Perry then that'll do me.

8. Serenity

Serenity Member

And since you're a Guns fan, here's Fortus rockin' the Dual-Tone...

metal_murf, rnm14, Kojack19 and 2 others like this.
  9. Trey nor

Trey nor Member

I'm still on the fence about my next amp purchase being either a Supro Saturn Reverb or a Fender DRRI. I actually even found this video comparing the two.

10. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

11. Slashaholic Anonymous

Killer playing and tone!

*quietly repeats to self: "I don't need a new amp. I don't need a new amp..."*

Serenity likes this.
  12. e???

e??? Member

We talking the old ones or the new? 2 different things

stickyFingerz, JiveJust and TEPR like this.
  13. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Because Jimmy Page.

massacre and InAbsentia like this.
  14. Slashaholic Anonymous

Well actually I'd be interested to learn some of the fundamental differences between old Supro and new.

15. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

The new Supro's are awesome. I got a new Thunderbolt (35 Watts, 6L6, 15" Emminence, 2 knobs -volume/tone). It is flat out amazing. The clean is warm, sparkling, punchy, 3D and sounds magic at band and practice volumes. I love the simple circuit, short signal path, it is very responsive. It takes pedals great and is a joy to play.

Many of online demos show it cranked doing Jimmy Page licks. It effortlessly nails sound, but IMO that is not its strength. To get 'that tone' is louder than any of my bands rehearse or gig at. Its strength at band volume, is a gorgeous clean with some grit and character.

Keep in mind that on the inside they are completely different from the old vintage ones, different company, PCB, different speakers, but strangely they capture the magic tone of a really nice old vintage amp. I didn't think that was possible at that price point. I've pulled it apart to have a look. There are many obvious cost cutting measures evident, but IMO they are smart production line decisions. They didn't skimp or cut corners with the important stuff (unlike some other manufacturers). They are hand made in the US, but lower skilled production line (like the old ones), not master craftsman built.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    massacre, e???, Cgkindler and 5 others like this.
  16. e???

e??? Member

The new ones have my favorite cleans these days, just beautiful and fat, and kinda in the fender sounding camp. The old ones had cleans a little closer to vox, but not as good as vox. Both have great overdrive. New ones are pcb, but built well. Old ones are handwired, but known for not being too durable. I got a new thunderbolt (not the plus version), and I really love it.

Slashaholic Anonymous likes this.
  17. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Why buy any amp? Because you like it!

Slashaholic Anonymous likes this.
  18. Slashaholic Anonymous

No disagreement, just curious what people like about Supro!

Kato10 likes this.
  19. FFTT

FFTT Member

I would go vintage Supro-Valco, Magnatone, TGP member LeonC's hand wired builds or Mike Moody's hand wired Z series before
    I'd buy a Zinky cost cutting PCB and caulking goo build.
    Under the hood quality wise it looks like someone took a caulking gun to a Blues Deluxe.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  20. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I'd say Supros are dirtier and more compressed than Vox amps, at least my Dual Tone is much more so than the AC15 I used to have.

Their cleans have a bit of a Blackface vibe with some nice shimmering highs at low volumes, but once you turn the volume up at all the mids come out in full force and any scooped sound goes away. The mid-heavy sound puts more emphasis on the lower mids, unlike Marshall's upper-mid sound.

I'd put Supros more in the Marshall camp than the Fender camp, though, because of the mid-heavy sound and due to their penchant towards dirty, grinding tones.