Why buy vintage gear?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by Hacksaw, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

That'd be Harman Kardon, or did you really buy a Harmon Carden? :confused:

2. oakfloor

oakfloor Member

Kids these days..cant spell .

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

You never know; it could be one of those Chineze nokkovs.

Hacksaw likes this.
  4. oakfloor

oakfloor Member

Hey, I got one of those.

Hacksaw and Jeff Scott like this.
  5. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

In 1989, I bought a state of the art Yamaha solid state integrated amp with GOBS of power- Somewhere around 1997 or so, I was ready for a change for some reason- someone convinced me to sell the Yamaha and get a Sansui 9090DB. That PARTICULAR receiver had issues. It had no headroom- it would fart out at higher volumes, and then one channel kept cutting out... - but by this time my apartment was PERFECT for watching movies loud. I had my bookshelf speakers mounted on a suspension system- to the front and angled down towards the couch- The floor speakers were 1 x 10 with 2 x 4" and it was dominant. So to capitalize on that I wanted a surround sound setup- being happy with the Yamaha- I bought a fancy pants Yamaha surround unit. It wasn't a top of the line unit- but it wasn't cheap at that time. I thought it sounded great for movies- but I didn't particularly dig the surround effects- I liked having the powerful front speakers, I liked the rear speakers- I didn't like the extra reverb/delay and the center channel- dialog got lost in everything. In other words- I was happier with having the integrated amp than a surround unit.

In the meantime, life changed- I was just using the surround unit as a stereo, and it just got less important to me- It was "fine."

Somewhere around 8 years ago or so, I did some side work for a guy- he was getting rid of his old stereo and asked me if I wanted it- otherwise it was going to the trash or Goodwill- An early/mid 70s Pioneer SX-838. I found out it was 50w per channel- so it wasn't going to be huge- but I thought it looked cool and it was free.

When I finally got around to plugging it in I was totally amazed at what I heard. That 50w amp sounded so huge and full and glorious- and my expensive fancy pants modern surround unit sounded thin and flat and lifeless in comparison.

Over the intervening years, I've done a bunch of reading, a lot of daydreaming and a little bit of acquisition. Right now I'm using 3 1970s receivers (the Pioneer and a Marantz 2325 being slaved to a Sansui 9090DB), pushing a total of 5 sets of speakers- 3 in the front, 2 in the rear. It's fantastic. I think the receivers themselves look fantastic, classy and even though I had no real connection- the 1970s stuff had a nostalgic feel to it- and the sound was so warm and full.

The surround unit with the old rear channel speakers went to Junior for his house- The kids have no use for a house shaking system... I don't know why.

I'd like to get one more amp- a McIntosh- and I may be good with the speakers I've got.

Of course, "pix or it didn't happen."

[​IMG]Mar2019 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

6. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

I have one of this vintage, it was my dad's, he kept it in his office at work. He modified it to plug in, since those huge batteries were hard to find. I think it needs a new tube. Amazing piece of equipment.

7. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Cool! You should replace the tubes and put it back in action. The design included an AC power cord. No modification necessary.

Hacksaw and Tonekat like this.
  8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

Recently sold off the last of my old gear...been dragging around since the 70's and last used about 10-12 years ago. So I figured it would satisfy some git gas. A little saddened to say fair-thee-well to the old Marantz, Audio Control c101 EQ/analyzer and more recent Denon that had replaced the huge Klipsch.

9. mixsit

mixsit Member

No mention of a replacement path, or... :>)

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

It is a sad day when someone ditches a vintage Marantz and Klipsch speakers.

Hacksaw, guitarjazz and Moby Dick like this.
  11. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Hacksaw likes this.
  12. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

13. GraphX12

GraphX12 Member

Why buy vintage gear?
    Because it wasn't vintage when I bought it :D.
    All purchased new way back when:
    *Yamaha YP-D8
    *SAE
    *DCM TimeWindows

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob, Hacksaw and Moby Dick like this.
  14. uncajoey

uncajoey Member

Easy question to answer. Sometimes vintage gear is superior. I just had my Quad ESL63 speakers rebuilt after owning them for thirty years. They are the best speakers I’ve ever heard by a wide margin. Peter Walker was a genius. Great product designers come along every once and a while, and without regard to vintage, some gear is simply better. Anyone who has experienced, for example, the Marantz 10B FM tuner, Well Tempered Turntable, conrad johnson electronics of the 1980s, Sumo Nine Amplifier, etc. can tell you. Good is good.

johntoste, Hacksaw and Moby Dick like this.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

I have another, great FM tuner, the early version of the Kenwood Model 600T. It gets listened to almost daily. :aok

Hacksaw likes this.
  16. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Member

Back in the '70's my brother in law owned a high end shop and used to call Harmon Kardon, Hard On Cardboard because they were always sending so much of it back to the manufacturer.

17. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Member

And you can still buy a Linn Sondek LP12 today. That turntable revolutionized the way people put together their audio systems. That turntable showed that the most important element in any sound system is the component that extracts the music from whatever format you use. You can have amazing speakers but if the stylus on the cartridge, on the arm of the turntable couldn't get the sound from the disc, no manner of speaker would.

I remember my Quad 57's with a tiny little Naim Nait amp. Man was that a simple but amazing system. There's just something about that old gear that's magical.

18. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Member

I had a pair of Time Windows way back in the late 1970's. I remember how they came into my system. I was sitting in an audio shop in IL, just over the river from St. Louis. I was more than a little high at the time and the owner played a Shostakovich symphony (#8 IIRC) and I was transfixed. I sold my Kef 101 reference mini monitors (LS3/5a knock offs) and brought the DCM's home. I enjoyed them but really, at the time was into small monitors. I sold them to a guy in Egypt and bought a pair of Linn Kan's. I always get a kick out of those speakers whenever I see them.

19. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Member

For awhile I was really into triode tubes. Klipsch was a big fan of the 2A3 power tube. It put out a whopping 2-3 watts. Into a Klipshorn, that much wattage could be deafening. Seeing a pair of old Klipsch speakers being discarded is truly a depressing sight.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  20. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob Supporting Member

Love vintage gear!

My drum/media room.

Kenwood Model 600 Integrated Amp (120 wpc) > Technics CD > JBL L100 Speakers. Sometimes I run a Sansui 9090db.

along with my beloved Sonor Lite Kit in Natural Scandinavian Birch that I bought new in '83.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]