Why Can't Gibson Enviers Just Give in, and Buy a Gibson?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by musekatcher, Jun 23, 2019.

1. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

Its not hard. Anyone can find a Gibson if they want one, for any budget. Its not necessary to try and convince everyone else that they don't want a Gibson. Its certainly not necessary to try and convince yourself you don't want a Gibson. Its a lot less conspicuous to either keep envy private, or just go ahead and buy the Gibson you've always wanted. Its easy.

Bossanova, bluesoul, fjblair and 27 others like this.
  2. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Why won't Gibson shills comply with site rules and reveal their affiliation?

3. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

OK, I'll bite. Wait a minute let me think about that. On second thought no thanks.:cool:

4. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

5. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

Because they’re not “Authentic” enough, and ya gotta be authentic to play authentic.....everyone knows that.

OP is your name Mark by any chance?:wave

6. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

How about buy a Gibson if you want, and don't if you don't...

7. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

‘Cause I held a PRS once.....
    Gibson’s are fine but I haven't owned one in over 25 years.
    PRS scratches my humbucker itch just fine. With better ergonomics (to me).

8. Gclef

Gclef Member

I like the les Paul sound, but I won't own a Gibson for many reasons

Questionable build quality. (I know, I can find a good one....)

Price. A Gibson les Paul is not worth twice as much, or more than comparable competitors.

Ethics.

Overinflated sense of self. As witnessed in the cost of their products. (Which, see the first reason, would be ok if they were far beyond the quality of the competition. It is unacceptable when your quality is all over the map.)

Blocky heel joint that could easily be sculpted, but isn't, because......that wasnt done in the 50s.

Styling. I like the overall dimensions and style of them, but like a slightly more modern look like an esp eclipse. I also like more modern playability with big frets and flatter radius.

The biggest thing for me is the price. I cant pay more for something just for the name when there is a similar sounding/looking/playing guitar for less.

9. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

This post is absolutely pointless and misguided.

10. Funky54

Funky54 Member

‘Cause I held a PRS once....
    It was fine but I didn’t want a copy of what I’ve preferred for 25 years.
    Gibson gives me their original design that is timeless even though others copy it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    C-4, indeedido, sjruvolo and 6 others like this.
  11. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

For many it has nothing to do with envy, and everything to do with simply not being a fan for one reason or another. It doesn't mean they're secretly harboring a love for a company and its products behind a mask of hostility.

12. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Yes.. its true. The thing is, all the naysayers already have decided regardless of what Gibson has done now or did in the past and no way they'll be convinced to buy one no matter what as far as I am concerned.

For me, I always buy guitars on the specs and I don't let myself get upset about some BS that happens. The QC 'problems' that I read about I've never come across on any Gibson yet. People can go buy an LTD or Schecter or Dean or whatever other offshore brand but ultimately buying a Gibson was worth it for me. I tried a lot of the copies and all though they can be great guitars, I was still not fully satisfied with them. A good used Gibson is a stellar value and I don't regret buying one ever. If I could do it over, knowing how much I've played it, I would have bought new no problem.

guitarbilly74, C-4, HugoLC and 2 others like this.
  13. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

No more Gibson post ok.

[​IMG]

bluesoul, biffoz, Flatscan and 8 others like this.
  14. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

Why, you can get a better guitar for the same or less money.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Probably.

But if we assume people had their reasons for not buying "before", aren't they entitled to a little more time before they do an about face?

The damage that had been done to the Gibson name and reputation, cannot be undone in a few months. It could take a decade or two.

The premise is, that Gibson is changed; maybe transformed. But does this full negate that which may have occurred before? I'm slow to forget when guitar companies mess up badly. Maybe the 2009 I have will have to last for a while.

Chicago Slim likes this.
  16. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Most people on here can and are able to buy whatever guitar they want. A lot of people are annoyed that Gibson is effectively being a bully. We live in an era of almost endless competition among guitar builders, prices are fair, quality is fantastic, and people dont want to see that change.

I personally have not been able to get along with a Gibson long term, owned a few, always the first guitar out the door for me, but I want them to be successful, and they still make beautiful instruments. I don't want to see them stifle competition.

drlucky, willc68 and Average Joe like this.
  17. Ghast

Ghast Member

Are you guys seriously not picking up any satirical vibes here?

18. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

[​IMG]

19. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

None of that has anything to do with the premise of this post.

The people disturbed by what's going on with Gibson in the past week (or throughout history) are not enviers. That whole premise is generally wrong.

The people who are upset enough to make this much noise about Gibson are people that mostly either own or have owned Gibson guitars, have a particular attachment or love of them, and are upset to see the company go so far off course.

Plus, it's laughable to think that this will take years to recover from. Most people will barely remember this 2 months from now.

Ferg Deluxe, C-4, MikeMcK and 6 others like this.