Why Can't Gibson Enviers Just Give in, and Buy a Gibson?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by musekatcher, Jun 23, 2019.

1. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

This thread is like a cold sore.

Pongo likes this.
  2. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I think some do not want to pay the high prices. And some get them used like I do on guitars. Find used versions of the guitar I want.

3. KevWind

KevWind Member

Always manages to pop up just when you are ready to go out in public ?

4. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

beats me, the only criticisms i've ever read of gibson had absolutely nothing to do with envying them...

5. Nivs

Nivs Member

Harley Davidson calls itself a "Lifestyle Brand". They are an american motorcycle manufacturer that sell unreliable, overpriced and underperforming products. Japan is manufacturing better bikes in every way- and selling them for much less money.

Sound familiar?

Oh yeah, HD stock is tanking. That company is in dire financial straights.

HD fanboy to me: When are you going to buy a real bike?
    Me: When HD can sell a bike that can lift the front wheel, handle and brake great for under 10k that doesn't break down on the road.

HD Fanboy: There not that bad anymore.

6. Nivs

Nivs Member

I don't dislike Gibson, but I'm not going to buy a guitar so that I can buy into the lifestyle.

GreatSatan likes this.
  7. christophervolume

christophervolume Member

Gullible baby boomers (not all boomers are gullible) are the worst offenders for lame “life style” brand tropes.

Harleys, Gibsons, and other subjects not allowable to be be discussed here are perfect examples.

Full disclosure, I am a
    non-boomer that owns more Gibsons than any other brand guitar, and love the ones I have dearly. ...

C-4 and jrjones like this.
  8. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Gibson enviers? I’ve had a few of them along with everything else out there. No envy here. I have a les Paul and it probably gets played least of all my guitars. It’s not a bad guitar, but my others are better. Methinks Gibson is the jealous one.

9. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

If I were to splurge on a Gibson, I'd go all out. It would be between these two...
    Gibson Custom Rick Nielsen Aged and Signed 1959 Les Paul Standard #9-0655 Electric Guitar Nielsen Burst - $10,889.00
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...1959-les-paul-standard-9-0655-electric-guitar
    Gibson Custom Super 400 Thinline Hollowbody Electric Guitar Antique Natural - $14,219.00
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-super-400-thinline-hollowbody-electric-guitar

Although, this one would also be tempting...
    Gibson Custom Le Grande Electric Guitar Natural - $14,099.00
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-le-grande-electric-guitar

But, given the reality of my finances, it would most likely be this one...
    Gibson Les Paul Junior Tribute DC Electric Guitar - $899.00
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-junior-tribute-dc-electric-guitar

A Gibson for every price point! :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  10. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

So here's all the Gibson guitars I have owned:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's 4 vintage guitars in there, 4 historic reissues, 2 limited edition collectible models, and a bunch of standard grade and student model guitars. Prices paid ranged from $250 to $5k. I've experienced a lot of what Gibson has to offer, and I've enjoyed most of these on some level. Some of them I've downright loved. I say all of this to qualify my next statement:

I would not recommend somebody go out and buy a Gibson guitar. There are better guitars out there, and there are cheaper guitars out there, and there are better & cheaper guitars out there. Play what you love and love what you play. Rock a Gibson if you want - hell, I still do - but there ain't nothing to be envious of.

stephenyi and nixpix like this.
  11. mattjayworker

mattjayworker Member

While I appreciate your ultra-spirited commitment to the "play authentic" lifestyle, I'm going to sit tight and continue to enjoy the stable of Kalamazoo built Heritage Guitars I've acquired over the years at a fraction what I would have paid for the Gibson equivalents. Thanks for the laugh!

Headstock warriors prepare to commence fecal dispersion in 3....2....1

greatmutah and Nivs like this.
  12. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

I boggle every time I see this type of thing in one of these threads. I bought 5 LPs and 3 SGs new for $700 or under (Gibson, not Epi) in the last few years. You don't have to buy an R9. Really. You can pay a lot more for bling or "historic correctness", but there are Gibsons that are just fine in any way that matters for less than a Strat.

13. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Most on the interwebs not here say they are too high and the quality is awful. I see it almost every day.

14. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

Personally, I have a few Gibsons. They’re fine guitars. My 94 Studio was the first guitar I ever bought. I wouldn’t part with it for anything. I’ve had it since 1997 when I turned 14. I also have an SG, a V and an R7. I’ve had a Standard and Traditional too. Great guitars all of them. But for Les Paul style guitars my two Heritages do more for me than my Gibsons do. My 157 is everything a Les Paul Custom should be and didn’t cost me an arm and a leg. My 150 is a monster player and after putting in a set of Motor City Angel Dusts, it’s on its own level.

But currently right now, I’m playing more of my Floyd Rose equipped guitars. Namely my Peavey HP Special and my Charvels.

15. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

I think that speaks for itself.

16. TYR

TYR Member

I wanted a Les Paul so I went to Tokyo and brought back a higher end Tokai Love Rock. Awesome guitar.

17. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Back when I was archtop shopping, the deadest guitar I played was a Le Grande. Shockingly dead. A typical ES-175 buried it. It would look pretty hanging on the wall though. Definitely a try before buy. Or in my case, don't bother to try again.

hunter