• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why Can't Gibson Enviers Just Give in, and Buy a Gibson?

Nivs

as anyone on these forums know; people are much more likely to buy traditional shapes, these companies only make them like that because that is what sells.
Now i'd agree that it's just a company protecting it's own designs... if it was 40+ years ago.
Unfortunately they've let it slide all this time and an entire industry has been built around people wanting gibson shapes but at better price-points (& in some cases, better quality).
This move by gibson now just means they obviously feel unable to compete in the marketplace anymore, certainly not at price-point, because just like a harley davidson you're mostly just paying for the 'privilege' of owning an overbloated, overpriced american brand for not that much more quality of a product.
Harley Davidson calls itself a "Lifestyle Brand". They are an american motorcycle manufacturer that sell unreliable, overpriced and underperforming products. Japan is manufacturing better bikes in every way- and selling them for much less money.

Sound familiar?

Oh yeah, HD stock is tanking. That company is in dire financial straights.

HD fanboy to me: When are you going to buy a real bike?
Me: When HD can sell a bike that can lift the front wheel, handle and brake great for under 10k that doesn't break down on the road.

HD Fanboy: There not that bad anymore.

Gullible baby boomers (not all boomers are gullible) are the worst offenders for lame “life style” brand tropes.

Harleys, Gibsons, and other subjects not allowable to be be discussed here are perfect examples.

Full disclosure, I am a
non-boomer that owns more Gibsons than any other brand guitar, and love the ones I have dearly. ...

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
Its not hard. Anyone can find a Gibson if they want one, for any budget. Its not necessary to try and convince everyone else that they don't want a Gibson. Its certainly not necessary to try and convince yourself you don't want a Gibson. Its a lot less conspicuous to either keep envy private, or just go ahead and buy the Gibson you've always wanted. Its easy.
Gibson enviers? I’ve had a few of them along with everything else out there. No envy here. I have a les Paul and it probably gets played least of all my guitars. It’s not a bad guitar, but my others are better. Methinks Gibson is the jealous one.

70' s Tone

If I were to splurge on a Gibson, I'd go all out. It would be between these two...
Gibson Custom Rick Nielsen Aged and Signed 1959 Les Paul Standard #9-0655 Electric Guitar Nielsen Burst - $10,889.00
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...1959-les-paul-standard-9-0655-electric-guitar
Gibson Custom Super 400 Thinline Hollowbody Electric Guitar Antique Natural - $14,219.00
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-super-400-thinline-hollowbody-electric-guitar

Although, this one would also be tempting...
Gibson Custom Le Grande Electric Guitar Natural - $14,099.00
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-le-grande-electric-guitar

But, given the reality of my finances, it would most likely be this one...
Gibson Les Paul Junior Tribute DC Electric Guitar - $899.00
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-junior-tribute-dc-electric-guitar

A Gibson for every price point! :)

Last edited:

Carbohydrates

So here's all the Gibson guitars I have owned:

There's 4 vintage guitars in there, 4 historic reissues, 2 limited edition collectible models, and a bunch of standard grade and student model guitars. Prices paid ranged from $250 to $5k. I've experienced a lot of what Gibson has to offer, and I've enjoyed most of these on some level. Some of them I've downright loved. I say all of this to qualify my next statement:

I would not recommend somebody go out and buy a Gibson guitar. There are better guitars out there, and there are cheaper guitars out there, and there are better & cheaper guitars out there. Play what you love and love what you play. Rock a Gibson if you want - hell, I still do - but there ain't nothing to be envious of.

mattjayworker

Its not hard. Anyone can find a Gibson if they want one, for any budget. Its not necessary to try and convince everyone else that they don't want a Gibson. Its certainly not necessary to try and convince yourself you don't want a Gibson. Its a lot less conspicuous to either keep envy private, or just go ahead and buy the Gibson you've always wanted. Its easy.
While I appreciate your ultra-spirited commitment to the "play authentic" lifestyle, I'm going to sit tight and continue to enjoy the stable of Kalamazoo built Heritage Guitars I've acquired over the years at a fraction what I would have paid for the Gibson equivalents. Thanks for the laugh!

Headstock warriors prepare to commence fecal dispersion in 3....2....1

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
I think some do not want to pay the high prices.
I boggle every time I see this type of thing in one of these threads. I bought 5 LPs and 3 SGs new for $700 or under (Gibson, not Epi) in the last few years. You don't have to buy an R9. Really. You can pay a lot more for bling or "historic correctness", but there are Gibsons that are just fine in any way that matters for less than a Strat.

Yamaha 350

I boggle every time I see this type of thing in one of these threads. I bought 5 LPs and 3 SGs new for $700 or under (Gibson, not Epi) in the last few years. You don't have to buy an R9. Really. You can pay a lot more for bling or "historic correctness", but there are Gibsons that are just fine in any way that matters for less than a Strat.
Most on the interwebs not here say they are too high and the quality is awful. I see it almost every day.

greatmutah

Personally, I have a few Gibsons. They’re fine guitars. My 94 Studio was the first guitar I ever bought. I wouldn’t part with it for anything. I’ve had it since 1997 when I turned 14. I also have an SG, a V and an R7. I’ve had a Standard and Traditional too. Great guitars all of them. But for Les Paul style guitars my two Heritages do more for me than my Gibsons do. My 157 is everything a Les Paul Custom should be and didn’t cost me an arm and a leg. My 150 is a monster player and after putting in a set of Motor City Angel Dusts, it’s on its own level.

But currently right now, I’m playing more of my Floyd Rose equipped guitars. Namely my Peavey HP Special and my Charvels.

TYR

I wanted a Les Paul so I went to Tokyo and brought back a higher end Tokai Love Rock. Awesome guitar.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member

Trending Topics