• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why Can't Gibson Enviers Just Give in, and Buy a Gibson?

My second guitar was a Gibson "The Paul" that I picked up after trading in my first guitar (a basic Yamaha). The previous owner had obviously taken a hammer to the front of the guitar as there were all of these weird dents in it. Still sounded great and I was a fool to sell it when I did.
Sounds like he hit it with a toan hammer.

FYI, this is a real thing and everyone should try it. Trust. :cool:

C-4

Imagine someone who purchased an expensive Gibson from Guitar Center...
That would be me. In fact, in the last month, I bought 2 of them.
To those who don't like Gibson, "Great". I have no problem with you or your personal likes or dislikes .
To those who like Gibson, I have no problem with you or with your personal likes.

Addendum: I am reading on this thread about those who "think" players buy Gibson guitars to impress someone.
I am not interested in impressing anyone for any reason. I'm too old to worry about crap like that. I've played Gibsons for 98% of my 62+ years playing and the only reason I continue to play them is that for me, I am most used to playing them over any other brand, and they feel great to me. All but one of my current batch are Custom Shop models because I prefer those and the way they are built and feel over the regular production side, and I always have. I do however have one LP Studio for playing outdoors in the Florida heat and more-then-occasional downpour.

If anyone reading this thinks I'm trying to impress others, please consult your doctor. :) ymmv

Last edited:

DavidTCIC

You totally lost the point: everyone would want a gibson guitar that is actually well made and speced if they were rationally priced according to the effort and resources into them. Other brands found a way of making Gibson style guitars that played, sounded and were priced better, which is why Gibson lost part of its own market on the first place

Miroslav L

Never owned a Gibson...and I've been playing since before it became so important that you own a Gibson and are willing to pay ridiculous prices to do so. :D

Somehow...I don't feel like I missed out on anything...go figure. :)

Hofnarr

Its not hard. Anyone can find a Gibson if they want one, for any budget. Its not necessary to try and convince everyone else that they don't want a Gibson. Its certainly not necessary to try and convince yourself you don't want a Gibson. Its a lot less conspicuous to either keep envy private, or just go ahead and buy the Gibson you've always wanted. Its easy.
Why can't people resist the temptation to start pointless, tendentious, inflammatory threads?

Faded

Its not hard. Anyone can find a Gibson if they want one, for any budget. Its not necessary to try and convince everyone else that they don't want a Gibson. Its certainly not necessary to try and convince yourself you don't want a Gibson. Its a lot less conspicuous to either keep envy private, or just go ahead and buy the Gibson you've always wanted. Its easy.

Why? Because there are often, but not always better options.

Trending Topics