Why cant guitar companies do this with Pups??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zosozep7, Feb 19, 2009.

1. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking the other day as I was changing a pick up in my Strat. Why cant guitar companies use a plug like adapter with a wiring harness to make changing out pups a snap?? Just pull the pick guard, unfasten the clip or plug like receptacle and plug the new one in. Wouldnt that make things much easier? Imagine the pup companies and how many more pups they would sell if this was an easy procedure?

Any comments on this subject? Am I missing something as to why this cant be done?

:munch

2. BigAl

BigAl Supporting Member

3. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

They can, and have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. phantasm

phantasm Member

I would be so into this since i tend to destroy anything i touch with a soldering iron.
    Why is it that i just can't get this right? If i could just plug in another pickup, things would be gold.

5. phantasm

phantasm Member

Ha! 70's RS- that's exactly why i bought one of the new dan Armstrong guitars- now if only they'd make the other models for the darn thing -i don't plan on paying a few hundred bucks for an original, just to have a different pickup.

6. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

I doubt the biggest hassle associated with replacing pickups for most players is the soldering. I suspect that most people see removing the strings, removing the pickguard, removing the pickup, replacing the pickup, configuring the wire so it lays within a cavity, replacing the pickguard, and restringing the guitar as the lion's share of the hassle.

7. Steven_K

Steven_K Member

8. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Easier perhaps but less reliable IMO. What is so difficult about a soldering iron anyway? Your going to need one when you inevitably tear that little connector off of the wiring anyway. And let us not forget that the mfg's would have to agree on what specs would be used or it would really be pointless.

9. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Doesn't Kinman do no-soldier harnesses?

I think you could make a very reliable plug. Imagine a Molex type connector like the ones that connect computer components to the power supply. If such connectors are good enough for computer equipment that go into airplanes and submarines, they're surely good enough for a guitar.

10. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Acme Guitarwork's pre-wired pickguards offer this as an option, at least they did about a year ago when I bought a pre-wired tele set-up from them.

I don't have any trouble soldering pups, but this was quicker.

11. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

If you like EMG pups, they do it.

12. dazco

dazco Member

very true. Connectors oxodize. It's inevitable. But that aside, i think people who need pluggable pickups in most cases have a bigger problem....not being able to realize they are struggling with the wrong part of the chain. if you can't find a pickup that makes you happy after 2 or 3 tries, chances are 95% that the reason is your amp or guitar is to blame and you'll be swapping pickups forever till you fix the correct part of the chain! You'd be surprized, but once the amp is right and the guitar, mainly the design and wood are right, most any pickup will be good enough and you definatly won't be swapping them out regularly. i used to do that too. but once i realized which design aspects and woods were what worked for me and found the right amp, i rarely ever swap pickups anymore. the point being you shouldn't need a guitar with pluggable pickups. It's only putting a bandaid on a bigger issue and never really solving it.

13. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

14. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I've owned two Ernie Ball Albert Lee models. One had connectors to do this, the other did not. Go figure.

John

15. LTE

LTE Member

I remember going to NAMM a few years ago and EMG was offering something like that.

16. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I would agree with that. Soldering takes the least time, especially if there's nothing "fancy" like coil splitting is involved, which is, by the way, another reason why the quick connect pickup idea isn't necessarily as straightforward as it might seem.

-Austin

17. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Wow!! Alot of responses! That Taylor site is exactly what I had in mind as a plug receptacle!

18. omni1

omni1 Member

Found this plug and play pickup changing guitar at Namm this year.

www.gdk-usa.com

19. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

There's also the cost question. A little blob of soldier is cheaper than sticking on a fancy connector on each end.

20. Traps

Traps Member

Didn't Gibson make a les paul guitar that had the drop in, type pups? This would have been like 20 years ago... at least.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009